Zeb Kagloonpop

Default morally wrong to drill with an impact driver

Whilst shopping for a cordless drill/driver I was impressed with how
small the cordless impact drivers were and yet deliever about twice
the torque of the larger cordless drill/drivers.

Can impact drivers drill alright? A few on the web talk as if it's
morally wrong to drill with an impact driver, but never cite the
chapter and verse.

Makita makes adapters going from 1/4" hex shank to keyless 3/8 chuck,
so if you want to use your normal round shank drill bits, you can.

I know an impact driver is noisier. That's OK with me. I know an
impact driver can be slower. That's OK with me. Any other
drawbacks?

I work with wood, concrete and steel, but 90% of the time it's wood.

--zeb
Slowhand

"Zeb Kagloonpop" wrote in message
om...
Whilst shopping for a cordless drill/driver I was impressed with how
small the cordless impact drivers were and yet deliever about twice
the torque of the larger cordless drill/drivers.

Can impact drivers drill alright?

My hitachi came with some quick change drill bits and I have had no problem
drilling (up to 1/4"). For the bigger stuff or when I have lots of holes, I
pull out my 18v dewalt.
SH

m Ransley

Check rpm i suspect it is real slow,to slow to drill with. I drill at
the fastest speed unless it is concrete. Look into Milwaukee, they have
different speed units.

Jim

Zeb:

No problem using an impact driver to drill holes in wood, but a caution for
using it to drill steel..

Impact drivers only provide the rotary impact when necessary to overcome the
material's resistance. With the Makita impact drivers I use, the driver
essentially functions as a drill (without any impact function) until the bit
is deep into the material or if the bits diameter is enough to provide the
resistance necessary to cause the impact function to kick in. So basically,
when drilling wood, I almost never detect the impact function.

The one caveat I would mention relates to drilling steel. Drill bits are
brittle, by necessity. I can envision the use of an impact driver causing a
larger drill bit to shatter when drilling steel if it were to bind or become
sufficiently stuck that the impact was simply torquing the drill bit. I have
not experienced this, not have I heard it reported, so I may just be overly
cautious.

HTH,

Jim Ray, President
McFeely's Square Drive Screws
www.mcfeelys.com

BTW, Makita has a great promotion out for a 12 or 14.4v impact driver and a
free driver drill of the same voltage. This may make it easier to decide
since you would have both tools!

"Zeb Kagloonpop" wrote in message
om...
Whilst shopping for a cordless drill/driver I was impressed with how
small the cordless impact drivers were and yet deliever about twice
the torque of the larger cordless drill/drivers.

Can impact drivers drill alright? A few on the web talk as if it's
morally wrong to drill with an impact driver, but never cite the
chapter and verse.

Makita makes adapters going from 1/4" hex shank to keyless 3/8 chuck,
so if you want to use your normal round shank drill bits, you can.

I know an impact driver is noisier. That's OK with me. I know an
impact driver can be slower. That's OK with me. Any other
drawbacks?

I work with wood, concrete and steel, but 90% of the time it's wood.

--zeb

Norman D. Crow

"Jim" wrote in message
snip

Jim Ray, President

McFeely's Square Drive Screws
www.mcfeelys.com

BTW, Makita has a great promotion out for a 12 or 14.4v impact driver and

free driver drill of the same voltage. This may make it easier to decide
since you would have both tools!

OK, just where do I find out about it? Christmas gloat . . SWMBO got me the
12V impact driver! Now how do I find out about the "freebie"?

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Norman D. Crow

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
snip

Jim Ray, President

McFeely's Square Drive Screws
www.mcfeelys.com

BTW, Makita has a great promotion out for a 12 or 14.4v impact driver

and
free driver drill of the same voltage. This may make it easier to decide
since you would have both tools!

OK, just where do I find out about it? Christmas gloat . . SWMBO got me

the
12V impact driver! Now how do I find out about the "freebie"?

Well . . . POO! Just checked the Makita site, it's the newer ones with the
LED light that they give you the freebie for.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

DamnYankeeBastard

OK, just where do I find out about it? Christmas gloat . . SWMBO got me

the
12V impact driver! Now how do I find out about the "freebie"?

Well . . . POO! Just checked the Makita site, it's the newer ones with the
LED light that they give you the freebie for.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Too bad you can't get the free drill but you're going to love the impact
driver anyways. Mine will drive 3 inch screws like there's no tomorrow!

Bryan

Norman D. Crow

"DamnYankee*******" wrote in message

OK, just where do I find out about it? Christmas gloat . . SWMBO got

me
the
12V impact driver! Now how do I find out about the "freebie"?

Well . . . POO! Just checked the Makita site, it's the newer ones with

the
LED light that they give you the freebie for.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Too bad you can't get the free drill but you're going to love the impact
driver anyways. Mine will drive 3 inch screws like there's no tomorrow!

That's why I asked *Santa* for one. Heard nothing but good stuff about them
on here.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

DamnYankeeBastard

[...]

One thing to pay attention to and I think there is a warning about it in the
manual. DON'T put a 1 inch bit (by itself) in this driver. They get stuck
and are almost impossible to get out. I needed to get into a really tight
corner and forgot this warning. It took me an hour to get the bit out. I
won't do that again!!!

Bryan