Steve Jones

Default Wrong time of year for a new flat roof?

I need a new flat roof

But is it the wrong time of year to be doing this? Will having it done
in cold weather shorten the life time of the new roof? I am thinking of
expansion and contraction throughout the year.

Also my current roof is green mineral felt. Had a couple of quotes, one
guy would replace with green mineral. The other with green mineral just
around the edges, then something else in the middle (can't remember
name) which is then painted with some silver stuff which reflects the
sun and stops expansion/contraction problems.

Which is better? Which is actually more expensive?

Any comments welcomed.

Thanks,

Steve
Grunff

Steve Jones wrote:
I need a new flat roof

No one /needs/ a flat roof ;-)

But is it the wrong time of year to be doing this? Will having it done
in cold weather shorten the life time of the new roof? I am thinking of
expansion and contraction throughout the year.

I can't see it making any real difference to the finished product. Might
make it more difficult to install if it's wet though.

--
Grunff
Colin Wilson

Any comments welcomed.

You can get fibreglass replacements for flat roofs - perhaps they might
be a more durable replacement... We'll probably need one ourselves before
too long.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Grunff wrote:
I need a new flat roof

No one /needs/ a flat roof ;-)

I had no option with my attic conversion. Couldn't go up above the roof
line. So saying, it's been ok. So far. Touch wood. But easy access when it
does need doing, and the decking is all marine ply so should survive.
That'll be a steep learning curve for a new skill for me when it finally
needs doing.

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

Steve Jones wrote:

But is it the wrong time of year to be doing this? Will having it done
in cold weather shorten the life time of the new roof? I am thinking of
expansion and contraction throughout the year.

When I had the roof on my new dormer done (July ish IIRC), the chaps
doing it said they much prefer doing it in the cooler weather since it
is so much cut the felt when its not all hot and soft (also much simpler
to strip old felt when it is a little brittle). Since it is all bonded
with hot tar, I doubt the ambient temperature will make that much
differnce from a longevity point of view.

Also my current roof is green mineral felt. Had a couple of quotes, one
guy would replace with green mineral. The other with green mineral just
around the edges, then something else in the middle (can't remember
name) which is then painted with some silver stuff which reflects the
sun and stops expansion/contraction problems.

That is what they did on ours. Very neat job, As you say they just used
mineral where it will be visible from below, plus about 6 inches of roof
The rest was done with a smooth top felt and then mopped over with the
silver finish.

Which is better? Which is actually more expensive?

The silver finish is better, and in our case was no more expensive. You
have other options, fiberglass is one, there is also a rubberised
coating option that is supposed to be good (although that will add at
least 50% to the price).

--
Cheers,

John.

chris French

In message , John
Rumm writes
Steve Jones wrote:

But is it the wrong time of year to be doing this? Will having it
done in cold weather shorten the life time of the new roof? I am
thinking of expansion and contraction throughout the year.

When I had the roof on my new dormer done (July ish IIRC), the chaps
doing it said they much prefer doing it in the cooler weather since it
is so much cut the felt when its not all hot and soft (also much
simpler to strip old felt when it is a little brittle). Since it is all
bonded with hot tar, I doubt the ambient temperature will make that
much differnce from a longevity point of view.

The chap who did ours last year was doing it in July when the weather
was scorching poor bloke.

Also my current roof is green mineral felt. Had a couple of quotes,
one guy would replace with green mineral. The other with green
mineral just around the edges, then something else in the middle
(can't remember name) which is then painted with some silver stuff
which reflects the sun and stops expansion/contraction problems.

That is what they did on ours. Very neat job, As you say they just used
mineral where it will be visible from below, plus about 6 inches of
roof The rest was done with a smooth top felt and then mopped over with
the silver finish.

Which is better? Which is actually more expensive?

The silver finish is better, and in our case was no more expensive. You
have other options, fiberglass is one, there is also a rubberised
coating option that is supposed to be good (although that will add at
least 50% to the price).

If I was going to be living in a house for some time then I would
consider using either a fibreglass covering, or a butyl rubber cover.
Both should have a longer life span than felt
--
Chris French, Leeds
John Rumm

chris French wrote:

If I was going to be living in a house for some time then I would
consider using either a fibreglass covering, or a butyl rubber cover.
Both should have a longer life span than felt

True, although felt if done well can last 20 years+

--
Cheers,

John.

Hi Steve,

I recently had a flat roof problem and decided to put a fibreglass roof
on myself a DIY project. I came across an ebook book priced =A32
advertised in google sponserd links on the web at;

www.flatroof-advice.co.uk

It proved very beneficial it is in two sections one concerning hiring a
flat roofer, i.e. questions to ask, how much you should pay, what
materials should be used, how to avoid the "cowboys", what the isurance
and guarantees mean etc; and another section concerned with DIY which
included easy to understand graphic illustration. It was full of useful
information concerning all aspects of flat roofing, how to fit the
decking, different types of material, how to fit a warm roof, where to
source fibreglass supplies and how to apply it etc;
Best of luck with your roof;

and hope this is of help

Regards=20

Fred

Patio on a flat roof? Al Reynolds UK diy 5 August 28th 04 12:07 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 07:49 PM