Al Reynolds

Default Patio on a flat roof?

Afternoon uk.d-i-y people,

While thinking idly about extending my house,
I happened on the idea of having a patio on the
flat roof of my extension. Only problem is, all
the flat roofs I have ever seen in the UK have
that felt and membrane option where you either
(a) can't walk on it, or (b) wouldn't want to walk
on it even if you could.

In Europe I have seen patios on roofs where they
have a raised wall around the edges, slabs in the
middle, and a drain out through the side, at the
base of the wall. I think all of these buildings were
of entirely concrete construction, so I imagine that
the roof was reinforced concrete as well?

I googled a bit this morning, and found various
references to GRP or glass fibre membrane roofing.
One example is he http://www.flatroof.co.uk/
(warning: Flash-only and no HTML version).

I'm still pretty much at a loss though - what do people
here think is the best way of getting a patio on a flat
roof? Can anyone fill me in on the important issues
to consider? I'm very much at the drawing board
stage at the moment, so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Al

Owain

"Al Reynolds" wrote
| While thinking idly about extending my house,
| I happened on the idea of having a patio on the
| flat roof of my extension. ...

| I lived in a student hall of residence with concrete flat roofs. I didn't
have water stains on my ceiling but some did.

Have a felt or membrane roof with upstands sufficiently closely spaced for
decking to go over the top.

Two concerns may be guarding (building control) and overlooking neighbours
(planning).

Owain

Lee

Al Reynolds wrote:

While thinking idly about extending my house,
I happened on the idea of having a patio on the
flat roof of my extension. Only problem is, all
the flat roofs I have ever seen in the UK have
that felt and membrane option where you either
(a) can't walk on it, or (b) wouldn't want to walk
on it even if you could.

Not a helpful answer I know, but the neighbours opposite have an asphalt
(over wood) roof and have a garden shed up there and regularly hold
barbecues on the roof!
Not sure what the insurance would say about it

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Derek *

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:38:56 +0100, Lee
wrote:

Al Reynolds wrote:

While thinking idly about extending my house,
I happened on the idea of having a patio on the
flat roof of my extension. Only problem is, all
the flat roofs I have ever seen in the UK have
that felt and membrane option where you either
(a) can't walk on it, or (b) wouldn't want to walk
on it even if you could.

Not a helpful answer I know, but the neighbours opposite have an asphalt
(over wood) roof and have a garden shed up there and regularly hold
barbecues on the roof!

Giant Firework.

Not sure what the insurance would say about it

DG
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Al Reynolds wrote:
I happened on the idea of having a patio on the
flat roof of my extension. Only problem is, all
the flat roofs I have ever seen in the UK have
that felt and membrane option where you either
(a) can't walk on it, or (b) wouldn't want to walk
on it even if you could.

I had mine constructed on the top of the addition of a Victorian semi - it
was originally a pitched tiled roof.

My architect recommended a ply base with asphalt then promenade tiles on
top of this - they are lightweight glass fibre reinforced concrete and
very very strong.

It's been totally problem free in something like 15 years. The exposed
parts of the asphalt have to be kept painted with white masonry paint to
prevent the sun melting it, but this is hardly a problem.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Flat Roof Identify Material and Repair Method TheScullster UK diy 3 March 19th 04 06:18 PM
Fibreglass flat roof Peter Balcombe UK diy 10 January 30th 04 09:56 PM
Flat roof Peter Balcombe UK diy 0 January 25th 04 12:27 PM
flat roof - slope for run off duncan UK diy 3 July 13th 03 02:55 PM