Peter Balcombe

Default Fibreglass flat roof

OK so I am cheating as I don't like heights and will get the job done for me
but I would still like some advice.

I have a large rear flat roof loft extension (roof circa 22 foot by 18
foot) which was constructed in 1980 making my semi detached bungalow into a
two storey building. It was reroofed about 7-8 years ago and is currently in
good condition. I had left it too long and got leakage so the work involved
replacement of boards, insulation etc. I am anxious not to leave it too long
again and as I have insurance policies due to mature within the next year am
adding recovering the roof to the list of projects.

The roof is currently covered in bitumen felt which I understand to have a
life of 10-15 years. I note that firms installing fibreglass flat roofs talk
of a 25 year life. As I am 57 I am attracted to the prospect of not having
to bother with flat roof repairs again in my life!

My questions are :-

Are fibre glass roofs as durable and problem free as claimed? Are there any
downsides?

What would be a realistic budget cost - I live on the fringes of Norwich?

National company or local roofing contractor?

There is a very slight fall on the roof and to date I have only had problems
when the felt failed rather than from water creep.

Peter Parry

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:06:51 -0000, "Peter Balcombe"
wrote:

Are fibre glass roofs as durable and problem free as claimed? Are there any
downsides?

There are plenty of fibreglass boats 50 years old or more.

National company or local roofing contractor?

Try a local boatbuilder, plenty around your area. See if a couple of
their fibreglass workers would be interested.

Fibreglass is a fairly simple material but certain stages are
critical if long life is to be achieved. Someone used to doing layup
on boat hulls would be ideal.

I doubt if local roofers would be familiar with it and national
companies tend to be rip-off merchants.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Lee Blaver

wrote:

Are fibre glass roofs as durable and problem free as claimed? Are there any
downsides?

There are plenty of fibreglass boats 50 years old or more.

National company or local roofing contractor?

Try a local boatbuilder, plenty around your area. See if a couple of
their fibreglass workers would be interested.

Fibreglass is a fairly simple material but certain stages are
critical if long life is to be achieved. Someone used to doing layup
on boat hulls would be ideal.

I doubt if local roofers would be familiar with it and national
companies tend to be rip-off merchants.

The thing that bothers me about fibreglass (apart from one of the
neighbours' fibreglass roofs leaking...) is thermal movement of the
building and/or UV damage causing cracking. Although I suppose both are
easily avoided with the right resin.

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com
Chris Oates

"Lee Blaver" wrote in message
The thing that bothers me about fibreglass (apart from one of the
neighbours' fibreglass roofs leaking...) is thermal movement of the
building and/or UV damage causing cracking. Although I suppose both are
easily avoided with the right resin.

I work 20ft from a harbour full
of fibreglass boats which are there
365 days a year & get
baked/frozen/beaten - they mostly
sink cos the mooring ropes aren't slacked off
when there is a spring tide

Peter Parry

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:37:04 +0000, Lee Blaver
wrote:

The thing that bothers me about fibreglass (apart from one of the
neighbours' fibreglass roofs leaking...) is thermal movement of the
building and/or UV damage causing cracking. Although I suppose both are
easily avoided with the right resin.

If you think about the environment boats survive in and the stresses
they have to endure a roof has an easy time of it.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Pete C

wrote:

The thing that bothers me about fibreglass (apart from one of the
neighbours' fibreglass roofs leaking...) is thermal movement of the
building and/or UV damage causing cracking. Although I suppose both are
easily avoided with the right resin.

If you think about the environment boats survive in and the stresses
they have to endure a roof has an easy time of it.

I certainly wouldn't take to sea in a boat hull covered in roofing
felt!

However with a flat roof I wouldn't go on price alone but get some
expert opinion on what is required for the roof, and preferably get it
done by an established company offering a long guarantee.

One way to cope with movement could be to use a 'bond breaker' between
the fg and roof, a wide strip of suitable resin resistant plastic
would do it. A good company will be able to offer advice on this.

cheers,
Pete.
Brian S Gray

wrote:

[...]

We had a flat roof over a garage and part of the house recovered in
fibreglass early in 2000 and I am quite happy with it. But I should
be at the price as it is not cheap when done on behalf of Polyroof.
However they give a 20 year insurance backed guarantee which can be
transferred, subject to inspection, on sale.
Polyroof's HQ is in Flintshire and I think that they have
agencies around the UK. We had a look at some local examples of their
workmanship before placing our order.
As with other types of garage covering, I think the cost
depends significantly on the nature and condition of the existing
roof. Ours was covered in thick waterproof plywood when the previous
felt covering was put on and was only deemed to need a further thin
layer of plywood to provide a suitable foundation for the fibreglass.
A quotation is the only reliable way to get an estimate of price but I
would expect you would be talking about something in the region of £40
per square metre.
Rick Dipper

They make boats and cars out of the stuff. the fibres are virtually indestructable.
It lasts for ever. Neerer to home, they make baths out of it ..........

In my experience, getting the resin right is important, its not hard, but look for
someone who you can verfy does it every day ........ Just the normal coyboy
avoidance.

Rick

[...]

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Rick Dipper wrote:
They make boats and cars out of the stuff. the fibres are virtually
indestructable. It lasts for ever. Neerer to home, they make baths out
of it ..........

Given the state of some fibreglass cars I've seen, I'm not sure it lasts
for ever when exposed to sunlight etc.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Peter Parry

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:40:15 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

Given the state of some fibreglass cars I've seen, I'm not sure it lasts
for ever when exposed to sunlight etc.

Glass of course is the major constituent and that last longer than
thee or me. Glass Fibre cars last extremely well from a mechanical
point of view - they just get a bit faded and the surface gel coat
gets crazed which isn't an issue with a roof (as you don't use an
anaerobic gel coat as you do with a moulded item).

The other huge advantage of GF as a roofing material is it is
extraordinarily simple to repair if damaged and the repair (if done
with a modicum of care) is as strong as the original.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

N. Thornton

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:06:51 -0000, "Peter Balcombe" wrote:

I have a large rear flat roof loft extension (roof circa 22 foot by 18
foot) which was constructed in 1980 making my semi detached bungalow into a
two storey building. It was reroofed about 7-8 years ago and is currently in
good condition. I had left it too long and got leakage so the work involved
replacement of boards, insulation etc. I am anxious not to leave it too long
again and as I have insurance policies due to mature within the next year am
adding recovering the roof to the list of projects.

you plan to rip out and replace a good roof? I would question that.

Are fibre glass roofs as durable and problem free as claimed? Are there any
downsides?

Fibreglass is quite DIYable. It isnt totally immune to problems,
sometimes it does crack and fail in time, but that tends to be quite a
long time.

Regards, NT

Installing recessed lighting in a Celotex insulated flat roof SteveRoche UK diy 6 January 9th 05 02:58 PM
Flat roof Peter Balcombe UK diy 0 January 25th 04 12:27 PM
Flat roof in Western Scotland - your opinion please none none UK diy 17 January 14th 04 07:20 PM
Flat Roof & Adding Value MrHappyChap UK diy 6 November 3rd 03 09:57 AM
Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 07:49 PM