Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - God, then and now

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:49:39 -0700, the infamous Lew Hartswick
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

No, they're not in the PTOE, but Blue Oyster Cult, King Crimson, and
Deep Purple were all extraordinarily good hard rock bands. Does that
count? At least _some_ of us know what those labels mean, wot?

A "good hard rock band" is not possible. Bands make music and
anything with the prefix "Hard Rock" just cant be a band. :-)
There hasen't been any music, to speak of, written since roughly
1900 maybe even earlier. There are a few exceptions.

Aww, yer taste is all in your mouth, Gramps.

What's PTOE ?

I don't remember. I distilled it from the original text. Hold on a sec
whilst I googlit..........OK, "Periodic Table of the Elements", lew.
Duh!

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

No, they're not in the PTOE, but Blue Oyster Cult, King Crimson, and
Deep Purple were all extraordinarily good hard rock bands. Does that
count? At least _some_ of us know what those labels mean, wot?

A "good hard rock band" is not possible. Bands make music and
anything with the prefix "Hard Rock" just cant be a band. :-)
There hasen't been any music, to speak of, written since roughly
1900 maybe even earlier. There are a few exceptions.

Aww, yer taste is all in your mouth, Gramps.

Watch it, sucker! :-)

I'm with Lew. The best music of our time had to be the swing era. Glenn
Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman---even Basie and Duke
Ellington----there's more---lots more.

For composers, it's hard to beat John Lewis, the pianist for MJQ. Absolute
genius!

The best of all time? The baroque. Hands down!

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 05:37:41 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

.. .

Larry Jaques wrote:

No, they're not in the PTOE, but Blue Oyster Cult, King Crimson, and
Deep Purple were all extraordinarily good hard rock bands. Does that
count? At least _some_ of us know what those labels mean, wot?

A "good hard rock band" is not possible. Bands make music and
anything with the prefix "Hard Rock" just cant be a band. :-)
There hasen't been any music, to speak of, written since roughly
1900 maybe even earlier. There are a few exceptions.

Aww, yer taste is all in your mouth, Gramps.

Watch it, sucker! :-)

I thought I might catch a few of you with that one. titter

I'm with Lew. The best music of our time had to be the swing era. Glenn
Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman---even Basie and Duke
Ellington----there's more---lots more.

I like swing music, too, but the truly loud brass is often too much
for me. Jazz/blues fusion is my thing.

For composers, it's hard to beat John Lewis, the pianist for MJQ. Absolute
genius!

He's/They're good, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmpLtYmSlvM

The best of all time? The baroque. Hands down!

Nah, that's Baroquen. (Sorry.) Yeah, that can be fun, but not as a
steady diet. Then there's PDQ Bach. Prof. Schickele Forever!

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram
ourselves...We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

I'm with Lew. The best music of our time had to be the swing era. Glenn
Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman---even Basie and Duke
Ellington----there's more---lots more.

For composers, it's hard to beat John Lewis, the pianist for MJQ. Absolute
genius!

The best of all time? The baroque. Hands down!

Harold

Well Harold, Baroque is a little too far back for me. Not quite
enough varitey of instruments. 1550 to the 1600s is just a bit
toooooo much. :-)
But the more modern stuff of the "swing era" isn't too bad. I can
even remember in the 50s singers like Vaugn Monroe and Frankie Lane
being "listenable". :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larr
Then there's PDQ Bach. Prof. Schickele Forever!

Yes he was a bit of fun. :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
m...
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

I'm with Lew. The best music of our time had to be the swing era.
Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman---even Basie and
Duke Ellington----there's more---lots more.

For composers, it's hard to beat John Lewis, the pianist for MJQ.
Absolute genius!

The best of all time? The baroque. Hands down!

Harold

Well Harold, Baroque is a little too far back for me. Not quite
enough varitey of instruments. 1550 to the 1600s is just a bit
toooooo much. :-)
But the more modern stuff of the "swing era" isn't too bad. I can
even remember in the 50s singers like Vaugn Monroe and Frankie Lane
being "listenable". :-)
...lew...

Frankie Lane! One of my favorites from the 50's. He could sing with the
best of them.

I'm not keen on most vocalists. Few get my attention, with almost none of
them today. Peter Cincotti is good----can't stand Kurt Elling.

I like Sinatra, too----but not everything he did. Summer Wind has to be one
of his best, although not real popular.

Haydn, Tellemann, Beethoven, Handel, Bach, Vivaldi---all far better choices
for me than modern singers. I find myself listening more and
more-----particularly when my two jazz stations (KPLU & KMHD) home in on
Norah Jones. I fail to see why she should be played on a jazz station.

Regards real early music-----I quite like Praetorius, too. Talk about simple
instruments! Great music, though. I find it fascinating.

Larry mentioned not liking a brassy sound in big band. Yep----I don't
either. Stan Kenton was over the top for me. It's hard to beat the sound
of the late 30's, early 40's.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in
. net:

Larry mentioned not liking a brassy sound in big band. Yep----I don't
either. Stan Kenton was over the top for me. It's hard to beat the
sound of the late 30's, early 40's.

You must be an Artie Shaw/Benny Goodman fan.

I'm a Glenn Miller addict, myself.grin

OTOH, Harry James - that says it all!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 05:37:41 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

snip---

For composers, it's hard to beat John Lewis, the pianist for MJQ.
Absolute
genius!

He's/They're good, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmpLtYmSlvM

Can't thank you enough for that link. My DSL is new, not even a month old,
so I have not explored much (too busy with the building project). I had
no idea there was anything like that available.

MJQ is amongst my favorites. Just before leaving Utah, they performed at
Utah State College, a drive in excess of 200 miles for us. The front
three rows were unoccupied, so my bride insisted we sit up front, which we
did. Center, second row. For encores, they played all the songs I
shouted out. We felt highly honored to have them play for us. In all
my years, I saw them perform only three times. They did not venture to
Utah much.

They're all dead now, the last one dying about two years ago. A great
loss for the jazz community, to be sure.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RAM³" wrote in message
. 10...
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in
. net:

Larry mentioned not liking a brassy sound in big band. Yep----I don't
either. Stan Kenton was over the top for me. It's hard to beat the
sound of the late 30's, early 40's.

You must be an Artie Shaw/Benny Goodman fan.

You got that right! I"m especially keen on SIng, Sing, Sing, which was
written by Louis Prima. Goodman does a much nicer job on the performance,
in my opinion.

I'm a Glenn Miller addict, myself.grin

And why not? Such polite and wonderful music. I count him amongst the
very best. Tommy Dorsey, too. Song of India, for one. Dorsey's Boogie
Woogie is the best.

OTOH, Harry James - that says it all!

He's about as brassy as it can go with me, although I enjoy him, but Maynard
Ferguson, who died recently, was a bit much for me. I've never been a
fan of the sounds made by the likes of Doc Severenson and others of his ilk.
It may be hard to do, but isn't very musical to my ears. Miles Davis
could wring out the best of sounds from a trumpet, as can Clark Terry, the
consummate gentleman of jazz.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in
. net:

"RAM³" wrote in message
. 10...
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in
. net:

Larry mentioned not liking a brassy sound in big band. Yep----I
don't either. Stan Kenton was over the top for me. It's hard to
beat the sound of the late 30's, early 40's.

You must be an Artie Shaw/Benny Goodman fan.

You got that right! I"m especially keen on SIng, Sing, Sing, which
was written by Louis Prima. Goodman does a much nicer job on the
performance, in my opinion.

Artie's "Moonglow" was, and still is, a Classic, too.

I'm a Glenn Miller addict, myself.grin

And why not? Such polite and wonderful music. I count him amongst
the very best. Tommy Dorsey, too. Song of India, for one.
Dorsey's Boogie Woogie is the best.

The "Miller Sound" is unique and maintains its popularity.

While others may have played the same melodies, the Miller arrangements
transformed good dance music into an entirely new musical form.

Yah - I'm a Miller addict, all right! GRIN

Jimmy Dorsey, on Sax, and Tommy Dorsey, on Trombone, both had great bands
but were even better when they combined forces.

OTOH, Harry James - that says it all!

He's about as brassy as it can go with me, although I enjoy him, but
Maynard Ferguson, who died recently, was a bit much for me. I've
never been a fan of the sounds made by the likes of Doc Severenson and
others of his ilk. It may be hard to do, but isn't very musical to my
ears. Miles Davis could wring out the best of sounds from a
trumpet, as can Clark Terry, the consummate gentleman of jazz.

Harold

Harry "I never rehearse" James was, to me, the best trumpet player of
them all.

The best thing that Hollywood ever did was to re-create the Carnegie Hall
Concert as a part of "The Benny Goodman Story". They managed to get a
number of the best while they were still in their prime.

As to "brassy", Dizzy Gillespie, for me, takes the prize.

Another Big Band worth remembering: Phil Harris' band.

AFAICT, Phil Harris "invented" RAP. [He couldn't carry a tune in a
bucket, vocally.]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08 Nov 2008 18:44:56 GMT, the infamous "RAM³"
scrawled the following:

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in
.net:

Larry mentioned not liking a brassy sound in big band. Yep----I don't
either. Stan Kenton was over the top for me. It's hard to beat the
sound of the late 30's, early 40's.

You must be an Artie Shaw/Benny Goodman fan.

I'm a Glenn Miller addict, myself.grin

OTOH, Harry James - that says it all!

Both greats, but I'd prefer a mute on every horn. I love Miles Davis,
but the volume of his horn just kills it for me. Several of his and
Ellington's jazz songs have muted horns and I really like that sound.
http://tinyurl.com/5759x9 Just say "mellow".

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:09:31 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 05:37:41 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

snip---

For composers, it's hard to beat John Lewis, the pianist for MJQ.
Absolute
genius!

He's/They're good, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmpLtYmSlvM

Can't thank you enough for that link. My DSL is new, not even a month old,
so I have not explored much (too busy with the building project). I had
no idea there was anything like that available.

Youtube is full of great music. Check it out. Also, several CD
mongers have 30-second samples of all music online, so you can get the
feel of a CD before buying it. AND, with the advent of MP3, they
started selling individual songs, so you can cut your own CD with only
music you like.

MJQ is amongst my favorites. Just before leaving Utah, they performed at
Utah State College, a drive in excess of 200 miles for us. The front
three rows were unoccupied, so my bride insisted we sit up front, which we
did. Center, second row. For encores, they played all the songs I
shouted out. We felt highly honored to have them play for us. In all
my years, I saw them perform only three times.

How cool was THAT? I'm jealous.

They did not venture to Utah much.

Ah reckon not, 'Arry. Not too many Mormon jazz fans, wot?

They're all dead now, the last one dying about two years ago. A great
loss for the jazz community, to be sure.

Ayup, but it's a fact of life. Did you see my post a couple weeks ago
about the disease called "life"?

It's a 100% fatal, sexually-transmitted disease.

Mom's saddened by all the people she knew who are slowly dying out.
She used to send out something like 140 Christmas cards each year. Now
she's down to fewer than two dozen.

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
can only be acquired by occasional retirement.
-- Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
snip----

Both greats, but I'd prefer a mute on every horn. I love Miles Davis,
but the volume of his horn just kills it for me. Several of his and
Ellington's jazz songs have muted horns and I really like that sound.

Strange you say Mile's horn has a volume problem. He is well known for his
soft blowing, and uses the mute regularly.

If you're not familiar with his album Kind of Blue, check it out. I think
you may change your opinion of his sound-----but then my perfect may well be
your imperfect.

If a soft trumpet sound is to your liking, you'd love Clark Terry, and Chuck
Mangionne and his flugelhorn is also ear candy.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:09:31 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Surprisingly, Brubeck played Salt Lake City a great deal in his early
years. There was considerable support for jazz there, thanks to a dj named
Wes Bowen. A nasty individual, with a personality like a rattlesnake, but
excellent taste in music and a wonderful persona on the air.

Through the years we had many great names in jazz play in the Salt Lake
Valley. MJQ, Jacques Loussier, Oscar Peterson, Brubeck, Herbie Mann, Gene
Harris (with the Three Sounds), Clark Terry, Ray Brown, Sweets Edison,
Erroll Garner, Les McCann, Mose Allison, Eddy Harris, Lionel Hampton, and
more. Even the likes of Les Brown. All good stuff, Maynard.

They're all dead now, the last one dying about two years ago. A great
loss for the jazz community, to be sure.

Ayup, but it's a fact of life. Did you see my post a couple weeks ago
about the disease called "life"?

It's a 100% fatal, sexually-transmitted disease.

I did not. I haven't been reading much of late, with too much on my plate.
The last few days I've had to make time. Did I miss anything good?

Mom's saddened by all the people she knew who are slowly dying out.
She used to send out something like 140 Christmas cards each year. Now
she's down to fewer than two dozen.

Yep. Being 69, I am now the "old folks". I look back on my youth and
wonder how I got where I am today.

One of the things I miss the most is the gatherings of the old country
Greeks. As a group, we used to go to Butterfield Canyon, where a lamb would
be cooked on the spit. It was a big affair----with a huge turnout. All
dead now.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

One of the things I miss the most is the gatherings of the old country
Greeks. As a group, we used to go to Butterfield Canyon, where a lamb would
be cooked on the spit. It was a big affair----with a huge turnout. All
dead now.

Harold

Harold, We have a Greek festival here in Abq every fall.
Been to one a few years ago. Maybe you should plan a trip
down here for one. Be glad to help show you around.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 04:50:22 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
snip----

Both greats, but I'd prefer a mute on every horn. I love Miles Davis,
but the volume of his horn just kills it for me. Several of his and
Ellington's jazz songs have muted horns and I really like that sound.

Strange you say Mile's horn has a volume problem. He is well known for his
soft blowing, and uses the mute regularly.

I was listening to Pandora.com recently and they played some of his
louder horn sets. shrug Of course, I've always preferred sax to
trumpet or trombone. Maybe it's because they're usually played
softer.

If you're not familiar with his album Kind of Blue, check it out. I think
you may change your opinion of his sound-----but then my perfect may well be
your imperfect.

'All Blues' and 'Flamenco Sketch' are muted but still harsh. I just
reaffirmed my sax vs. trumpet choice. sigh I like the tempo and
mood of the music and wish he'd taken up sax instead of trumpet.

If a soft trumpet sound is to your liking, you'd love Clark Terry, and Chuck
Mangionne and his flugelhorn is also ear candy.

Candy Dulfer is more my style of music/artist. The song 'Lily Was
Here' really gets me going. She's beautiful.
http://www.amazon.com/Saxuality-Cand.../dp/B000002VHW

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
can only be acquired by occasional retirement.
-- Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 05:03:10 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

They did not venture to Utah much.

Ah reckon not, 'Arry. Not too many Mormon jazz fans, wot?

Surprisingly, Brubeck played Salt Lake City a great deal in his early
years. There was considerable support for jazz there, thanks to a dj named
Wes Bowen. A nasty individual, with a personality like a rattlesnake, but
excellent taste in music and a wonderful persona on the air.

Through the years we had many great names in jazz play in the Salt Lake
Valley. MJQ, Jacques Loussier, Oscar Peterson, Brubeck, Herbie Mann, Gene
Harris (with the Three Sounds), Clark Terry, Ray Brown, Sweets Edison,
Erroll Garner, Les McCann, Mose Allison, Eddy Harris, Lionel Hampton, and
more. Even the likes of Les Brown. All good stuff, Maynard.

That's surprising to me, but I'm not a big-city fan, anyway. I saw
Jethro Tull, my favorite band of all time, in Phoenix, the only big
city I've lived in.

They're all dead now, the last one dying about two years ago. A great
loss for the jazz community, to be sure.

Ayup, but it's a fact of life. Did you see my post a couple weeks ago
about the disease called "life"?

It's a 100% fatal, sexually-transmitted disease.

I did not. I haven't been reading much of late, with too much on my plate.
The last few days I've had to make time. Did I miss anything good?

Nah. Just the usual from the lez and group.

Mom's saddened by all the people she knew who are slowly dying out.
She used to send out something like 140 Christmas cards each year. Now
she's down to fewer than two dozen.

Yep. Being 69, I am now the "old folks". I look back on my youth and
wonder how I got where I am today.

That comment just brought up a memory of my 13th year. My sister's
boyfriend was cautioning me that "You may not make it to the ripe old
age of 14 if you keep that up, Larry!" I was spying, protecting my
sister, while they made out. g

One of the things I miss the most is the gatherings of the old country
Greeks. As a group, we used to go to Butterfield Canyon, where a lamb would
be cooked on the spit. It was a big affair----with a huge turnout. All
dead now.

Yeah, those old-time pickinicks were great, weren't they, BooBoo?

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
can only be acquired by occasional retirement.
-- Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
m...
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

One of the things I miss the most is the gatherings of the old country
Greeks. As a group, we used to go to Butterfield Canyon, where a lamb
would be cooked on the spit. It was a big affair----with a huge
turnout. All dead now.

Harold

Harold, We have a Greek festival here in Abq every fall.
Been to one a few years ago. Maybe you should plan a trip
down here for one. Be glad to help show you around.
...lew...

Lew,

I hope to get out some when (or if) we ever get finished with this damned
house project.

You may know from reading the Chaski board that I have another friend in
NM----Russ Hanscom. He's been to our place numerous times. We owe him a
visit. I'll be sure to look you up when we head that way. I'd enjoy
shaking your hand.

By the way, having come from SLC Utah, there's a huge Greek population
there-----so many that they have two churches. A big deal in the land of
zion, where everyone is expected to be a mormon.

The Greek Festivals have gone on there as long as I have memory. They, at
first, were restricted to the Greek community, a fund raising affair for the
church. I have the fondest of memories attending them as a young boy,
sitting by the musicians as they played live music for Greek dancing.

My mother was well known for her prowess in the kitchen, and oversaw the
making of all the pastries for the festivals in the later years, until she
lost her health. I'm well familiar with them, and enjoy attending, in
spite of my lack of commitment to the religion.

Thanks, Lew. I cherish your friendship.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

snip---

That's surprising to me, but I'm not a big-city fan, anyway. I saw
Jethro Tull, my favorite band of all time, in Phoenix, the only big
city I've lived in.

Not a Tull fan in general, but his Songs From the Wood is out of sight! His
Thick as a Brick album bored me to tears.

I'm not keen on big cities, either, the only exception being its damned hard
to buy the kinds of supplies I need for the shop. Don't know what I'll do
if I ever get to the point where I'm actually using it. On the plus side,
I'm a bit like a crow and have saved damned near everything in my years, so
I'm well stocked with metals and many cutting tools.

I have come to love my seclusion. Living on acreage has its benefits.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 04:50:22 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
snip----

Both greats, but I'd prefer a mute on every horn. I love Miles Davis,
but the volume of his horn just kills it for me. Several of his and
Ellington's jazz songs have muted horns and I really like that sound.

Strange you say Mile's horn has a volume problem. He is well known for
his
soft blowing, and uses the mute regularly.

I was listening to Pandora.com recently and they played some of his
louder horn sets. shrug Of course, I've always preferred sax to
trumpet or trombone. Maybe it's because they're usually played
softer.

Not always the case. I used to be a dedicated sax lover, but listening to
the soprano played by Coltrane got me over that in a hurry. I'm not a
Coltrane fan, yet with a group he's damned good. I tried for years to
learn to appreciate his music and have failed on almost all fronts when it's
solo, especially after he got lost to "find himself". I'd rather he had
not.

If you like sax, surely you must like Desmond and Art Pepper? Add Gerry
Mulligan and Stan Getz to the mix. I like their styles---all of them.

If you're not familiar with his album Kind of Blue, check it out. I think
you may change your opinion of his sound-----but then my perfect may well
be
your imperfect.

'All Blues' and 'Flamenco Sketch' are muted but still harsh. I just
reaffirmed my sax vs. trumpet choice. sigh I like the tempo and
mood of the music and wish he'd taken up sax instead of trumpet.

I think I can understand your position. I had the Sketches of Spain album
as a young guy and got rid of it. Only recently have I listened with
pleasure. I have it once again, this time on CD. I've matured to some
degree----there was a time when I didn't prefer MJQ, which mystifies me no
end. Of course, I was still listening to Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis.

I like the trombone----like it a lot. It's much more pleasant to the
ears----as is the flugelhorn.

Candy Dulfer is more my style of music/artist. The song 'Lily Was
Here' really gets me going. She's beautiful.
http://www.amazon.com/Saxuality-Cand.../dp/B000002VHW

Wow! Beautiful, indeed! And she does play a nice, soft sound, but I
confess, I'd never heard her name before until I clicked the link. Thanks
for that.

She must be quite popular on the smooth jazz stations----she's not played on
those I listen to, or I've missed her name. That's not really my kind of
music-----I'd much rather listen to Jacques Loussier or others. Sure is
nice on the eyes, though.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

God Then:
In the Old Testament, God revealed himself as Jehovah meaning "I am". In
one of verses God provided and he was called Jehovah Jireh, meaning "I am
your provider". When the Hebrews left Egypt, God provided for them bread
from heaven to feed them. He also provided water for them. When King David
hid in a mountain cave, his food was brought to him by a bird. In the New
Testament, when they didn't have enough food for the multitude of people,
they thanked God for what little they had and it was enough to feed
everybody and the leftovers was more than they started with.

God Now:
I heard this story and have the jist of it but not enough details to satisfy
Ed Huntress or anything like that. A man, I believe in Africa, has an
orphanage and relies on God to supply their needs on a regular basis. The
person telling of it said they sat at a table to eat but they didn't have
any food. They thanked God for their meal, even though it wasn't there, and
a knock at the door, someone brought food.

My mother-in-law told me about a time when she ran out of money and she had
need of something. She said she pulled over in her car and prayed telling
God that she believed in him as provider and she felt she did her part to be
faithful to the Lord and told him she had need of money. When she went to
her mail box there was money sent to her that she wasn't expecting.

Some missionaries were captured by Japanese during war time and the Japanese
held them as prisoners of war. One of the POW missionaries was telling
about her experience. She looked outside a window from her cell and saw a
prisoner on the grounds make their way close to a fence and someone handed
them a banana through the fence. The banana looked so good compared to what
they were used to the missionary prayed that perhaps God could provide a
banana. They though how it might be possible but then decided it was too
difficult, that God wouldn't be able to get them a banana. The next day, a
guard opened the cell door and men brought enough bananas to fill the cell
floor. The missionary cried as they felt God couldn't get them a single
banana.

Last month my mother had a difficult month, getting on late in the month she
only had enough work that she only made $85 for that month. Then someone
that owed her money paid about half their bill and she got $500. $585 for
the month was much better than $85 but it was still barely getting by. Then
she got a payment for back taxes from a couple of years ago. She didn't
even know that the money was owed to her but she ended up with $3000 for the
month.

God to provide in the near futu (I hope!, No, I believe!)
Right now I am in a situation where I'm not going to make ends meet unless
something changes. Since my wife lost her job and her unemployment ran out,
I need to work a bare minimum of 8hrs per week overtime. I had to buy
Propane for heat ~$485, a deer ran out in front of me and tore up my car,
now I have a $100 deductable to pay, and to top it off the economy has
stopped the project I was getting overtime on. According to my forcasted
account balance I go in the red in early December. So I know I'll be
getting some unexpected income because God will provide. God doesn't depend
on the stock market or the economy, he provides when my ordinary source of
income fails. Hopefully I'll have a testemony before I go into the Red :-)

The Bible says God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Become God's
child and he will be your provider in times of need too. I'm no better than
anybody else, we are justified by faith, not by works, believe in Jesus
Christ and your faith will be credited to you as rightousness. All I can
say is thank God I'm not smart enough to be an Athiest!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bah! I read the whole thing, looking for the punchline, and it turns our
you're serious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

Bah! I read the whole thing, looking for the punchline, and it turns our
you're serious.

Of course he's serious. Those whose prayers failed dies so we don't
hear their story

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
Bah! I read the whole thing, looking for the punchline, and it turns our
you're serious.

Oh, sorry, here's one with a punch line.

A painter was painting a Catholic Church. He was working pretty high up on
a ladder and accidently knocked off his paint brush. "Son of a Bitch!" he
said.

A Sister heard him and said "Sir, We would appreciate if you would try to
refrain in using such language in the house of the Lord, next time why don't
you try praising the Lord".

So, down the ladder, get the paint brush and back up the ladder.

A couple hours later he dropped his paint brush and shouted "son of a" and
stopped himself. He looked over and the Sister was looking at him and he
looked at her and said "Praise the Lord!".

All of a sudden the brush levitated all the way back up the ladder and
stopped right in front of the painter and he grabbed it. He was shocked and
amazed at it all and looked over at the Sister and she shouted "son of a
bitch!"

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:
Bah! I read the whole thing, looking for the punchline, and it turns our
you're serious.

Good one Leo. :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"nick hull" wrote: (clip) Those whose prayers failed dies so we don't
hear their story

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Finally! Darwinism with a religious basis. ;-))

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
God to provide in the near futu (I hope!, No, I believe!)
Right now I am in a situation where I'm not going to make ends meet unless
something changes. Since my wife lost her job and her unemployment ran
out, I need to work a bare minimum of 8hrs per week overtime. I had to
buy Propane for heat ~$485, a deer ran out in front of me and tore up my
car, now I have a $100 deductable to pay, and to top it off the economy
has stopped the project I was getting overtime on. According to my
forcasted account balance I go in the red in early December. So I know
I'll be getting some unexpected income because God will provide. God
doesn't depend on the stock market or the economy, he provides when my
ordinary source of income fails. Hopefully I'll have a testemony before I
go into the Red :-)

Yesterday I found out that repairing my car is going to cost more than the
car is worth so they are planning to total it. Since is runs and drives
good and I use it for a work car, I plan to keep it and fix what I need to
for safe operation (window, headlight, windshield washer container, etc).
So it looks like I should end up with a few thousand $$$ and keep me far out
of the red and even let me pay off some other debts. It seems funny that
Atheists argue the existence of God while Christians enjoy the blessings of
God. Thank God I'm not smart enough to be an Atheist!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-19, RogerN wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry to hear this. It is a tough time.

Roger, a relatively easy way to make extra money on the side is to buy
industrial surplus equipment and sell it on ebay and craigslist. This
is relatively low risk. Just make sure that you do not overpay. I have
been doing it for years and it is easy and fun.

If you are anywhere near me (west Chicagoland), I have several shelves
full of small stuff that I want to sell and do not have time to sell,
I would be happy to let you sell that stuff and split reveniue in half.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

Atheists don't run into deer. You can look it up. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-19, RogerN wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Thanks for the offer Iggy but I'd probably find too many items I want for
myself :-) I live in Illinois but about 300 miles South of Chicago. I have
been to Chicago several times for training for office equipment and machine
vision systems. (AB Dick copy machines, Omron and DVT vision systems)

I have a lot of little items myself I need to get rid of. Perhaps if I'd
spend my time listing them instead of Usenet messages I'd get some sold.
Last weekend it looked like I wouldn't be able to pay all my bills on time
by early December unless something changed. Monday I found out I have an
extra month to pay my property taxes and also found out my car is being
totaled but yet runs and drives great. That should mean instead of paying a
deductible, I should get money for the value of my car less the deductible
and the salvage value of the car. My minimum balance went from negative to
a few hundred positive because of the timing of property taxes without
considering the money from my auto insurance.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

I think the deer ran into me, it's body slammed into my front fender and
doors. I couldn't tell for sure but I think its head (possibly antler) got
my front glass.

A few years back a deer hit my car and the main impact was on the rear door
and rear fender. Them stupid things are about like having a squirrels brain
in a couple hundred pound body.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" (clip) Thank God I'm not smart enough to be an Atheist!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have enough money in my checking account to pay my bills. I own my home,
and have sufficient IRAs to see me through and have money left over for my
son. I pay my taxes easily, on time, without worrying about deadlines, or
where I am going to get the money. I don't need your "miracles."

Thank God I'm smart enough to be an atheist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Most of the time I have plenty to pay my bills but it's a lot more fun to
watch miracles happen then it is not to need them. But what if money fails
and your money and my money become worth only the paper it's printed on?

RogerN

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"RogerN" (clip) Thank God I'm not smart enough to be an Atheist!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have enough money in my checking account to pay my bills. I own my
home, and have sufficient IRAs to see me through and have money left over
for my son. I pay my taxes easily, on time, without worrying about
deadlines, or where I am going to get the money. I don't need your
"miracles."

Thank God I'm smart enough to be an atheist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 05:50:01 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

Most of the time I have plenty to pay my bills but it's a lot more fun to
watch miracles happen then it is not to need them. But what if money fails
and your money and my money become worth only the paper it's printed on?

RogerN

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"RogerN" (clip) Thank God I'm not smart enough to be an Atheist!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have enough money in my checking account to pay my bills. I own my
home, and have sufficient IRAs to see me through and have money left over
for my son. I pay my taxes easily, on time, without worrying about
deadlines, or where I am going to get the money. I don't need your
"miracles."

Thank God I'm smart enough to be an atheist.

Leo can always pray to Madeline Murry Ohare.

Snicker

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

Yesterday I found out that repairing my car is going to cost more than the
car is worth so they are planning to total it. Since is runs and drives
good and I use it for a work car, I plan to keep it and fix what I need to
for safe operation (window, headlight, windshield washer container, etc).
So it looks like I should end up with a few thousand $$$ and keep me far out
of the red and even let me pay off some other debts. It seems funny that
Atheists argue the existence of God while Christians enjoy the blessings of
God. Thank God I'm not smart enough to be an Atheist!

RogerN

So why did God let that deer run into your car?

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
RogerN wrote:

Yesterday I found out that repairing my car is going to cost more than
the car is worth so they are planning to total it. Since is runs and
drives good and I use it for a work car, I plan to keep it and fix what I
need to for safe operation (window, headlight, windshield washer
container, etc). So it looks like I should end up with a few thousand $$$
and keep me far out of the red and even let me pay off some other debts.
It seems funny that Atheists argue the existence of God while Christians
enjoy the blessings of God. Thank God I'm not smart enough to be an
Atheist!

RogerN

So why did God let that deer run into your car?

David

So I would get money when I needed it.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-20, David R.Birch wrote:
RogerN wrote:

Yesterday I found out that repairing my car is going to cost more than the
car is worth so they are planning to total it. Since is runs and drives
good and I use it for a work car, I plan to keep it and fix what I need to
for safe operation (window, headlight, windshield washer container, etc).
So it looks like I should end up with a few thousand $$$ and keep me far out
of the red and even let me pay off some other debts. It seems funny that
Atheists argue the existence of God while Christians enjoy the blessings of
God. Thank God I'm not smart enough to be an Atheist!

RogerN

So why did God let that deer run into your car?

It is obvious. The deer probably sinned in some way prior to the
accident. God was punishing the deer.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-20, David R.Birch wrote:
RogerN wrote:

[...]

Or maybe I sinned and God was using the deer to punish me.

Or maybe the stupid thing just ran in front of me. :-)

I need to mount some of your heavy iron eBay items on the front and sides of
my car.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

Ya' know, Roger-------if God was looking out for you, you'd have avoided the
crash.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

Or had the radio loud enough not to have noticed.
LOL

JC