Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT - God, then and now

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 05:03:10 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

They did not venture to Utah much.

Ah reckon not, 'Arry. Not too many Mormon jazz fans, wot?

Surprisingly, Brubeck played Salt Lake City a great deal in his early
years. There was considerable support for jazz there, thanks to a dj named
Wes Bowen. A nasty individual, with a personality like a rattlesnake, but
excellent taste in music and a wonderful persona on the air.

Through the years we had many great names in jazz play in the Salt Lake
Valley. MJQ, Jacques Loussier, Oscar Peterson, Brubeck, Herbie Mann, Gene
Harris (with the Three Sounds), Clark Terry, Ray Brown, Sweets Edison,
Erroll Garner, Les McCann, Mose Allison, Eddy Harris, Lionel Hampton, and
more. Even the likes of Les Brown. All good stuff, Maynard.

That's surprising to me, but I'm not a big-city fan, anyway. I saw
Jethro Tull, my favorite band of all time, in Phoenix, the only big
city I've lived in.

They're all dead now, the last one dying about two years ago. A great
loss for the jazz community, to be sure.

Ayup, but it's a fact of life. Did you see my post a couple weeks ago
about the disease called "life"?

It's a 100% fatal, sexually-transmitted disease.

I did not. I haven't been reading much of late, with too much on my plate.
The last few days I've had to make time. Did I miss anything good?

Nah. Just the usual from the lez and group.

Mom's saddened by all the people she knew who are slowly dying out.
She used to send out something like 140 Christmas cards each year. Now
she's down to fewer than two dozen.

Yep. Being 69, I am now the "old folks". I look back on my youth and
wonder how I got where I am today.

That comment just brought up a memory of my 13th year. My sister's
boyfriend was cautioning me that "You may not make it to the ripe old
age of 14 if you keep that up, Larry!" I was spying, protecting my
sister, while they made out. g

One of the things I miss the most is the gatherings of the old country
Greeks. As a group, we used to go to Butterfield Canyon, where a lamb would
be cooked on the spit. It was a big affair----with a huge turnout. All
dead now.

Yeah, those old-time pickinicks were great, weren't they, BooBoo?

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which