Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default OT - God, then and now

"RAM³" wrote in message
. 10...
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in
. net:

Larry mentioned not liking a brassy sound in big band. Yep----I don't
either. Stan Kenton was over the top for me. It's hard to beat the
sound of the late 30's, early 40's.

You must be an Artie Shaw/Benny Goodman fan.

You got that right! I"m especially keen on SIng, Sing, Sing, which was
written by Louis Prima. Goodman does a much nicer job on the performance,
in my opinion.

I'm a Glenn Miller addict, myself.grin

And why not? Such polite and wonderful music. I count him amongst the
very best. Tommy Dorsey, too. Song of India, for one. Dorsey's Boogie
Woogie is the best.

OTOH, Harry James - that says it all!

He's about as brassy as it can go with me, although I enjoy him, but Maynard
Ferguson, who died recently, was a bit much for me. I've never been a
fan of the sounds made by the likes of Doc Severenson and others of his ilk.
It may be hard to do, but isn't very musical to my ears. Miles Davis
could wring out the best of sounds from a trumpet, as can Clark Terry, the
consummate gentleman of jazz.

Harold