Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³ RAM³ is offline

Default OT - God, then and now

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in
. net:

"RAM³" wrote in message
. 10...
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in
. net:

Larry mentioned not liking a brassy sound in big band. Yep----I
don't either. Stan Kenton was over the top for me. It's hard to
beat the sound of the late 30's, early 40's.

You must be an Artie Shaw/Benny Goodman fan.

You got that right! I"m especially keen on SIng, Sing, Sing, which
was written by Louis Prima. Goodman does a much nicer job on the
performance, in my opinion.

Artie's "Moonglow" was, and still is, a Classic, too.

I'm a Glenn Miller addict, myself.grin

And why not? Such polite and wonderful music. I count him amongst
the very best. Tommy Dorsey, too. Song of India, for one.
Dorsey's Boogie Woogie is the best.

The "Miller Sound" is unique and maintains its popularity.

While others may have played the same melodies, the Miller arrangements
transformed good dance music into an entirely new musical form.

Yah - I'm a Miller addict, all right! GRIN

Jimmy Dorsey, on Sax, and Tommy Dorsey, on Trombone, both had great bands
but were even better when they combined forces.

OTOH, Harry James - that says it all!

He's about as brassy as it can go with me, although I enjoy him, but
Maynard Ferguson, who died recently, was a bit much for me. I've
never been a fan of the sounds made by the likes of Doc Severenson and
others of his ilk. It may be hard to do, but isn't very musical to my
ears. Miles Davis could wring out the best of sounds from a
trumpet, as can Clark Terry, the consummate gentleman of jazz.

Harold

Harry "I never rehearse" James was, to me, the best trumpet player of
them all.

The best thing that Hollywood ever did was to re-create the Carnegie Hall
Concert as a part of "The Benny Goodman Story". They managed to get a
number of the best while they were still in their prime.

As to "brassy", Dizzy Gillespie, for me, takes the prize.

Another Big Band worth remembering: Phil Harris' band.

AFAICT, Phil Harris "invented" RAP. [He couldn't carry a tune in a
bucket, vocally.]