Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default OT - God, then and now

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
m...
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

I'm with Lew. The best music of our time had to be the swing era.
Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman---even Basie and
Duke Ellington----there's more---lots more.

For composers, it's hard to beat John Lewis, the pianist for MJQ.
Absolute genius!

The best of all time? The baroque. Hands down!

Harold

Well Harold, Baroque is a little too far back for me. Not quite
enough varitey of instruments. 1550 to the 1600s is just a bit
toooooo much. :-)
But the more modern stuff of the "swing era" isn't too bad. I can
even remember in the 50s singers like Vaugn Monroe and Frankie Lane
being "listenable". :-)
...lew...

Frankie Lane! One of my favorites from the 50's. He could sing with the
best of them.

I'm not keen on most vocalists. Few get my attention, with almost none of
them today. Peter Cincotti is good----can't stand Kurt Elling.

I like Sinatra, too----but not everything he did. Summer Wind has to be one
of his best, although not real popular.

Haydn, Tellemann, Beethoven, Handel, Bach, Vivaldi---all far better choices
for me than modern singers. I find myself listening more and
more-----particularly when my two jazz stations (KPLU & KMHD) home in on
Norah Jones. I fail to see why she should be played on a jazz station.

Regards real early music-----I quite like Praetorius, too. Talk about simple
instruments! Great music, though. I find it fascinating.

Larry mentioned not liking a brassy sound in big band. Yep----I don't
either. Stan Kenton was over the top for me. It's hard to beat the sound
of the late 30's, early 40's.

Harold