Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default OT - God, then and now

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 04:50:22 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
snip----

Both greats, but I'd prefer a mute on every horn. I love Miles Davis,
but the volume of his horn just kills it for me. Several of his and
Ellington's jazz songs have muted horns and I really like that sound.

Strange you say Mile's horn has a volume problem. He is well known for
his
soft blowing, and uses the mute regularly.

I was listening to Pandora.com recently and they played some of his
louder horn sets. shrug Of course, I've always preferred sax to
trumpet or trombone. Maybe it's because they're usually played
softer.

Not always the case. I used to be a dedicated sax lover, but listening to
the soprano played by Coltrane got me over that in a hurry. I'm not a
Coltrane fan, yet with a group he's damned good. I tried for years to
learn to appreciate his music and have failed on almost all fronts when it's
solo, especially after he got lost to "find himself". I'd rather he had
not.

If you like sax, surely you must like Desmond and Art Pepper? Add Gerry
Mulligan and Stan Getz to the mix. I like their styles---all of them.

If you're not familiar with his album Kind of Blue, check it out. I think
you may change your opinion of his sound-----but then my perfect may well
be
your imperfect.

'All Blues' and 'Flamenco Sketch' are muted but still harsh. I just
reaffirmed my sax vs. trumpet choice. sigh I like the tempo and
mood of the music and wish he'd taken up sax instead of trumpet.

I think I can understand your position. I had the Sketches of Spain album
as a young guy and got rid of it. Only recently have I listened with
pleasure. I have it once again, this time on CD. I've matured to some
degree----there was a time when I didn't prefer MJQ, which mystifies me no
end. Of course, I was still listening to Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis.

I like the trombone----like it a lot. It's much more pleasant to the
ears----as is the flugelhorn.

Candy Dulfer is more my style of music/artist. The song 'Lily Was
Here' really gets me going. She's beautiful.
http://www.amazon.com/Saxuality-Cand.../dp/B000002VHW

Wow! Beautiful, indeed! And she does play a nice, soft sound, but I
confess, I'd never heard her name before until I clicked the link. Thanks
for that.

She must be quite popular on the smooth jazz stations----she's not played on
those I listen to, or I've missed her name. That's not really my kind of
music-----I'd much rather listen to Jacques Loussier or others. Sure is
nice on the eyes, though.

Harold