Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - God, then and now

Sorry for another OT post but I think this one could be interesting to some
on here. I have noticed in many discussions on this newsgroup people
stating things like the miracles in the Bible not being possible because
they defy the laws of physics, etc. One example is that people say the
flood of Noah is impossible because there is not enough water on Earth to
make a global flood possible. A basic ability of God is to create something
from nothing or multiplying something.

God's ability to create and multiply the physical is not new and not
outdated. This is reported to happen many times in the Bible. Some
examples are the flood of Noah, a lamp that wouldn't run out of oil, food
that wouldn't run out, etc. A new testament example is Jesus feeding 5000
men plus women and children with only a few fish and loaves. Yes, I know
that this isn't possible, that's why it's a miracle. The kicker is that
these kinds of things still happen today. There have been occasions that
people had a need to travel but no fuel, and through trusting God they have
driven hundreds of miles without fuel. Another instance I read about on the
web is when some folks had no fuel oil for heat, they prayed, their heat
came back on and got them through without fuel.

I know this isn't the same as creating something from nothing but God has
also provided for people in their times of need. Here's one that happened
within the last month. A few years ago my Mom lost her job when the
cleaners that she was a seamstress at closed down. She's been doing
alterations from her home and getting a little on retirement. She never
made much money, I think she got up to $8/hr before the cleaners closed.
Anyway, last month she had a slow month and only made $85 for the month.
Then she got over $2400 in the mail from a back tax return from a few years
ago when the cleaners closed. What's the chance of having your worst month
financially and getting a check from years past taxes in October? These
kind of occurrences aren't every day but they are fairly common.

Another thing that "just worked out" is that after my wife lost her job, I
needed 4 hours a week overtime to meet my budget. My new position at work
needed me to work an extra 8 hours every other week. Wow, just what my
budget needed. As my wife's unemployment ran out, my position changed to
where more overtime was available and I have been able to replace what she
lost with just a few extra hours per week. Anyway, the availability of
overtime and my loss of family income, and need for the overtime, has
coincided perfectly. This isn't nowhere near the best I've experienced but
it's more recent than other things.

Anyway, it just seems funny that some people are arguing the existance of
God while others are experiencing miracles, up to and including God raising
people from the dead, on a somewhat regular basis (miracles on a somewhat
regular basis, not God raising the dead on a regular basis). It's about
like someone that doesn't know what they are talking about in the
metalworking realm saying metal can't be cut. In other words, don't base
your knowledge of God on what an Athiest tells you, ask the best example of
a believer you can find why they believe in God. Or ask a missionary if
they have ever seen any miracles, or what's the most convincing miracle
they've seen.

RogerN