Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT - God, then and now

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 05:37:41 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:49:39 -0700, the infamous Lew Hartswick
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

No, they're not in the PTOE, but Blue Oyster Cult, King Crimson, and
Deep Purple were all extraordinarily good hard rock bands. Does that
count? At least _some_ of us know what those labels mean, wot?

A "good hard rock band" is not possible. Bands make music and
anything with the prefix "Hard Rock" just cant be a band. :-)
There hasen't been any music, to speak of, written since roughly
1900 maybe even earlier. There are a few exceptions.

Aww, yer taste is all in your mouth, Gramps.

Watch it, sucker! :-)

I thought I might catch a few of you with that one. titter

I'm with Lew. The best music of our time had to be the swing era. Glenn
Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman---even Basie and Duke
Ellington----there's more---lots more.

I like swing music, too, but the truly loud brass is often too much
for me. Jazz/blues fusion is my thing.

For composers, it's hard to beat John Lewis, the pianist for MJQ. Absolute
genius!

He's/They're good, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmpLtYmSlvM

The best of all time? The baroque. Hands down!

Nah, that's Baroquen. (Sorry.) Yeah, that can be fun, but not as a
steady diet. Then there's PDQ Bach. Prof. Schickele Forever!

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram
ourselves...We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves