Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What home repairs are you most fond of?

On 12/02/2015 10:32 PM, Don Y wrote:
There's also a big difference if you can choose *when* it has to be
cleared out. If you have to clear the driveway before heading off
to work at some insane hour (e.g., before noon!), then it's a royal
PITA! OTOH, if you can let it sit there for a few hours -- or
days -- then it's much easier to deal with!

Unfortunately...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

On 12/02/2015 11:05 PM, Muggles wrote:
I began wrapping and icing it (initially), and then I upped my daily
intake of glucosamine.

Which flavor of glucosamine? I had been taking the chlroide which is the
common form but the Mayo newsletter recommended sulphate. I switched and
it does seem to work better although that's a very subjective judgment.
I also threw in some tumeric and devil's claw. They also mentioned
boswellia but I don't know if that had an effect on blood pressure or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/02/2015 11:15 PM, Muggles wrote:
I've been doing some exercises since it started hurting, and it actually
seems to be helping.

I'd started using trekking poles. While they helped for a while I became
concerned that they might be counterproductive by ultimately reducing
the strength of the supporting musculature so I stopped using them for a
while. I'll use them this winter but that will be for avoiding falls on
icy trails rather than just habitually grabbing them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/03/2015 04:49 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
If pain is bad, try high quality Curamed, or Curamin. Specially
processed curry powder. Very, Very effective.

Tumeric capsules work for me. The generic tumeric from Swanson's is much
less expensive than the Terry brand name. Boswellia and DLPA is also
inexpensive if you want to throw that into the mix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/03/2015 04:16 PM, Don Y wrote:
It's not just exercise. I (rapidly) walk 4 miles/day. I.e., "exercise".

What is needed is exercise that strengthens the muscles and ligaments
surrounding the knee, "holding it together".

5 or 6 miles up and down a mountain will do the trick even if the trail
isn't too gnarly. Throw in some rocks for an additional workout and
balance improvement.

I walk a mile or two at noontime but it's not that great for cardio. On
level ground I have a problem getting my heart rate up above 120 bpm and
to do that I have to get up close to 4 mph, which is well above my
natural pace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/03/2015 04:31 PM, Don Y wrote:
Springfield was our "late night opportunity" (to purchase packaged liquors;
bars stayed open late but you couldn't buy anything at retail, incl beer,
after 8PM, IIRC)

Springfield MA? I lived in East Longmeadow for a while. Fortunately
Gentile's Package Store was a quick romp through the backyard and across
the parking lot. Or maybe unfortunately.

State police used to hang out just inside the border to catch folks
bringing liquor into the state without appropriate "tax stamp".

I'd heard that. by then I was living in Dover, NH so MA state police
were the least of my worries.

When I lived in MA my out of state jaunts were to Somers, CT. I worked
six days
a week and the stores were all closed for the sabbath in the Puritan
state so
if i need groceries it was off to CT or Abe's Kosher Market. Abe's was
closer
but he didn't have much in the way of bacon or pork chops.

UConn?

I thought that was Storrs? Somers was just the closest place to E.
Longmeadow. iirc it was only about 10 miles.

Alcohol was not sold at retail, IIRC, on Sunday. But, grocers were open
(though not other retail establishments).

As I remember MA in the early '70s major grocery stores were closed on
Sunday but some of the convenience stores were open. My most memorable
Christmas dinner was frozen deep fried chicken from a 7-11. MA wasn't
too unique in that. It took me a while to figure out you could starve to
death on Christmas Day but all the restaurants were open on Easter.

Oddly the bucket of blood down the street was open so I stopped there
for a little cheer. Got home, threw the frozen stuff in the oven ad
forgot about it until the smoke started pouring out. Great dinner!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/03/2015 04:32 PM, Don Y wrote:

Grrrr... no, that would have been Storr's?

That's what I thought. I knew a girl from Willimantic and we went up to
Storrs for some sort of party.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 9:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/02/2015 11:05 PM, Muggles wrote:
I began wrapping and icing it (initially), and then I upped my daily
intake of glucosamine.

Which flavor of glucosamine? I had been taking the chlroide which is the
common form but the Mayo newsletter recommended sulphate. I switched and
it does seem to work better although that's a very subjective judgment.
I also threw in some tumeric and devil's claw. They also mentioned
boswellia but I don't know if that had an effect on blood pressure or not.

It's actually orange flavored Glucosamine chews I bought off the shelf
at wal-mart. I'd heard that it worked better than the pill form, so
gave it a try. I've been pleasantly surprised, too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Val...count/10324586

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 9:22 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/02/2015 11:15 PM, Muggles wrote:
I've been doing some exercises since it started hurting, and it actually
seems to be helping.

I'd started using trekking poles. While they helped for a while I became
concerned that they might be counterproductive by ultimately reducing
the strength of the supporting musculature so I stopped using them for a
while. I'll use them this winter but that will be for avoiding falls on
icy trails rather than just habitually grabbing them.

Last year I was very sick and lost all muscle tone in both legs, so
starting around the middle of January this year I had to work to regain
my legs back, and it's taken a while to get the muscle tone and strength
back, but I hadn't worked as hard on strengthening my knees. I guess I
thought they were fine, but this little injury was a wake-up call to pay
more attention to them for sure.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What medications are you most Afraid of?

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 7:12:42 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/3/2015 2:14 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
For the last few months, I took no naproxen

sodium,(generic Aleve) and I was having a very
hard time moving around. Tuesday, I got my pal
Stinky to smuggle in some naproxen sodium and
acetaminophen to me and taking two pills of
each every morning makes it much easier for me
to move around. I can get in and out of bed and
my wheelchair a lot easier now. It should also
make it easier for me to get my braces on and
get up in my walker. All I needed an anti
inflammatory to combat the swelling in my joints.
I can open and close my hands without my fingers
sticking closed so much. A trigger finger snapping
out when I open hand can freak out some people
when they see it. ヽ()ノ

[8~{} Uncle Trigger Monster

I've found that the generic naproxyn can be useless,
I had some Berkley and Jensen that was totally
useless. The name brand Aleve works much better for
me.

Naproxyn is stomach corrosive. Can give you wicked
bleeding ulcers if you take them on empty stomach.
Best to take them with food, with meals.
--
.

When I wound up back in the hospital due to what I thought was a heart problem a year after I had a heart attack, it turned out that I was very anemic and had a low red blood cell count. Doctors gave me several blood transfusions and squirted enough iron in me to make a box of nails. They were trying to figure out where the blood was going. A fecal occult blood test was done to determine if I was losing blood due to intestinal bleeding, it was negative. I told the doctors I was too old to have a period but they still couldn't figure out where the blood was going. A month later I had a camera shoved down my throat and up my tailpipe, hopefully in that order. It turns out that I had bleeding ulcers in my stomach. I was taking large amounts of naproxen sodium and that's what was responsible. My stomach has healed and I never take more than two OTC naproxen sodium tablets a day and it's enough to combat the swelling in my joints without harming me. I'm going to try two tablets every two days or one tablet a day to see if that's enough to keep me moving but I must have something for the inflammation. ¯\(°_o)/¯

[8~{} Uncle Swollen Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 8:33 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/03/2015 04:16 PM, Don Y wrote:
It's not just exercise. I (rapidly) walk 4 miles/day. I.e., "exercise".

What is needed is exercise that strengthens the muscles and ligaments
surrounding the knee, "holding it together".

5 or 6 miles up and down a mountain will do the trick even if the trail isn't
too gnarly. Throw in some rocks for an additional workout and balance improvement.

I'm not fond of walking on cement/asphalt -- but am leary of walking on
"open trail". Too easy to twist something. Given a choice, I try
to walk on the "lawns"/hell strips on either side of a sidewalk.
No grass here so you can get a good idea of what your feet will experience
if you keep an eye on the ground in front of you. No "hidden holes"
that are so common in grass lawns!

I walk a mile or two at noontime but it's not that great for cardio. On level
ground I have a problem getting my heart rate up above 120 bpm and to do that I
have to get up close to 4 mph, which is well above my natural pace.

4mph is my "natural pace"; 3.8 miles in 56 minutes. But, it doesn't bring
my heart rate well enough into the cardio region. The 10-15 seconds it
takes me to get in the house and grab a stopwatch is enough for my
pulse to return to "resting".

Asked my MD about this and he suggested jogging. WTF?! No thanks, I'd
like to keep my KNEES a while longer!!

I *have* noticed that a few minutes with a SHOVEL is enough to bring me
well into the cardio zone! But, that's usually *work*, not "exercise"!
(how many holes can you dig in a lifetime?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 3:56:23 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 23:14:17 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 12:05:40 AM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/2/2015 9:51 PM, bob haller wrote:
I was about 4 years old, when my grandpa let a extension ladder up at our dining room window. he went to get stuff to complete the job.

i was still wearing those had baby shoes and climbed the unattended ladder to look for a toy that somehow ended up in a rose bush under the dining room window..... i remember my one and only ever look in that window from the outside.

my mom found me on that ladder and screamed a lot..

i think this made me afraid of heights, although I have done roof work on my own home. and a good bit of ladder work.

I hurt my knee bad when i was 40, and at 58 am having trouble walking. and need a knee replacement.

so ladder work is kinda out of the question these days.....

Last week I sprained/strained my right knee and haven't the slightest
idea of how I did it. I just woke up last Weds morning and it was sore,
then it started popping, and it started hurting. My husband has been
through 2 knee surgeries and I really didn't want to do that myself, so
I began wrapping and icing it (initially), and then I upped my daily
intake of glucosamine. I took ibuprofen, and kept wrapping it with an
ace bandage, but the last couple of days the pain has almost
disappeared, and it only occasionally will POP when I move it in an odd
direction. I'm sure hoping it'll keep healing up on it's own.
--
Maggie

For the last few months, I took no naproxen sodium,(generic Aleve) and I was having a very hard time moving around. Tuesday, I got my pal Stinky to smuggle in some naproxen sodium and acetaminophen to me and taking two pills of each every morning makes it much easier for me to move around. I can get in and out of bed and my wheelchair a lot easier now. It should also make it easier for me to get my braces on and get up in my walker. All I needed an anti inflammatory to combat the swelling in my joints. I can open and close my hands without my fingers sticking closed so much. A trigger finger snapping out when I open hand can freak out some people when they see it. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Trigger Monster

The problem with anti-inflamatories like motrin etc is they put my
blood pressure up.

I take no more than two tablets of naproxen sodium a day but I'm going to try one tablet a day to determine if that's enough. I hate drugs but I must have some of them to stay alive. I'm given a handful of the despicable pills every day. \(`0´)/

[8~{} Uncle Pill Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 12/03/2015 04:49 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
If pain is bad, try high quality Curamed, or Curamin. Specially
processed curry powder. Very, Very effective.

Tumeric capsules work for me. The generic tumeric from Swanson's is much
less expensive than the Terry brand name. Boswellia and DLPA is also
inexpensive if you want to throw that into the mix.

Terry is former owner of Enzymatic Therapy who started curry research
going to India. Always high quality brand name supplement is a good bet.
Nothing like you buy from Costo, Super market. So far world wide sale
figure on this product alone is 3 billion $$. No detrimental side effect
at all. Only some folks complain if taken in empty stomach, it
bothers them just like eating hot pepper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Also don't forget circulation issue. Taking L-Glutamine(most common
amino acid in our body) capsules or powder helps muscle recovery from
fatigue.

Posted to alt.home.repair,Claw

rbowman wrote:
On 12/02/2015 11:05 PM, Muggles wrote:
I began wrapping and icing it (initially), and then I upped my daily
intake of glucosamine.

Which flavor of glucosamine? I had been taking the chlroide which is the
common form but the Mayo newsletter recommended sulphate. I switched and
it does seem to work better although that's a very subjective judgment.
I also threw in some tumeric and devil's claw. They also mentioned
boswellia but I don't know if that had an effect on blood pressure or not.

Chloride is stomach acid. On theory it supposes to improve absorption.
But it does not improve much.
Devil's claw is researched by British doctors proving it's worth. Also
known to cause stomach sensitivity. Devils may affect BP. When some
issues arise we have to look at the whole pictu deal with cause not
just symptom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 8:51 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/03/2015 04:31 PM, Don Y wrote:
Springfield was our "late night opportunity" (to purchase packaged liquors;
bars stayed open late but you couldn't buy anything at retail, incl beer,
after 8PM, IIRC)

Springfield MA?

Yeah (figured the MA reference was enough : ). ObTrivia: Springfield is
the most popular city name, IIRC!

I lived in East Longmeadow for a while. Fortunately Gentile's
Package Store was a quick romp through the backyard and across the parking lot.
Or maybe unfortunately.

Heh heh heh... "packy". Such a localized term! Soda? Or Pop?
(Moxie, anyone?)

When I lived in MA my out of state jaunts were to Somers, CT. I worked
six days
a week and the stores were all closed for the sabbath in the Puritan
state so
if i need groceries it was off to CT or Abe's Kosher Market. Abe's was
closer
but he didn't have much in the way of bacon or pork chops.

UConn?

I thought that was Storrs? Somers was just the closest place to E. Longmeadow.
iirc it was only about 10 miles.

Yes, my bad. Been a few decades since I lived in that part of the world.

Alcohol was not sold at retail, IIRC, on Sunday. But, grocers were open
(though not other retail establishments).

As I remember MA in the early '70s major grocery stores were closed on Sunday
but some of the convenience stores were open. My most memorable Christmas
dinner was frozen deep fried chicken from a 7-11. MA wasn't too unique in that.
It took me a while to figure out you could starve to death on Christmas Day but
all the restaurants were open on Easter.

Yeah, amusing, eh? All those Holy Rollers... I guess they worshipped the
God of Commerce!

Oddly the bucket of blood down the street was open so I stopped there for a
little cheer. Got home, threw the frozen stuff in the oven ad forgot about it
until the smoke started pouring out. Great dinner!

I remember first visit to one of the *huge* liquor stores. Like a
frigging supermarket! Packy's had always been little hole-in-the-walls
crammed full of bottles...
Posted to alt.home.repair,Neverbuy

Muggles wrote:
On 12/3/2015 9:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/02/2015 11:05 PM, Muggles wrote:
I began wrapping and icing it (initially), and then I upped my daily
intake of glucosamine.

Which flavor of glucosamine? I had been taking the chlroide which is the
common form but the Mayo newsletter recommended sulphate. I switched and
it does seem to work better although that's a very subjective judgment.
I also threw in some tumeric and devil's claw. They also mentioned
boswellia but I don't know if that had an effect on blood pressure or not.

It's actually orange flavored Glucosamine chews I bought off the shelf
at wal-mart. I'd heard that it worked better than the pill form, so
gave it a try. I've been pleasantly surprised, too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Val...count/10324586

I never saw GS in pill form. Only capsules typically 500mg per capsule.
Never buy anything Chinese made tho. If it helps don't stop take them
LONG term! Specially females never forget to have density test done
every 2 years or so. If your doctor does not order it, ask and insist
on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My BP had been pretty contant at 120/83 for years - been on 400mg of
ibuprophen a day and 1 Claratin complete a day - was up to 158/92
early this week. I've stopped both to see what happens - first day off
and I'm back down to 150/86-ish. When I get it back to normal I'll
try going back on one at a time to see which one is the culprit (or if
it's both)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 4:49 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

At least you have to take the GS 1500mg a day. If it is bought at Costco,
triple it. 1500mg figure is a result of Italian clinical test done in the early

I thought Glucosamine was only effective *in* the joint. I.e., as a
lubricant, of sorts. So, sloppy muscle tone doesn't benefit from
meds...

'80's. Ibuprofen kind pain reliever is bad for your bone.
If pain is bad, try high quality Curamed, or Curamin. Specially processed curry
powder. Very, Very effective.

For what is it "indicated"? Pain, inflammation, arthritis, etc.?

Over weight is bad news for hips, knees, the
weight bearing bones...

Weight is bad for *so* much more! : I cringe when I see so many folks
*so* overweight. And, apparently doing little/nothing to address the
issue! When was the last time you saw your feet??

I accompany one neighbor to Sam's Club, periodically. A few items that
I might need; also a chance to spend time together socially. First
thing she invariably does is head off to buy an ice cream to eat
while shopping. Definitely doesn't "need" that!

People don't realize how little it takes of an imbalance of intake vs.
expenditure to pack on weight. I think a LIFESAVER per day (excess)
amounts to the 10 pounds folks pack on (average) per decade.

Wow! You mean to tell me you can't live without that LIFESAVER???

Recently injured her back. I'm sure partly because her musculature
is weak, nothing in her back or belly to help *support* her frame.
Instead, her frame is supporting her belly. :

So, we know that's going to be a long recovery -- *if* she ever
manages to recover fully (presently just trying to deal with
the pain!)

I just had ultrasound scan done on all my limbs joints, result came out all good.

Trick is *keeping* them that way!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 8:27 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/03/2015 04:49 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
If pain is bad, try high quality Curamed, or Curamin. Specially
processed curry powder. Very, Very effective.

Tumeric capsules work for me. The generic tumeric from Swanson's is much less
expensive than the Terry brand name. Boswellia and DLPA is also inexpensive if
you want to throw that into the mix.

Again, "works" in what way? Regrows hair? Controls body odor?
Sexual stamina?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 10:03 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I never saw GS in pill form. Only capsules typically 500mg per capsule. Never
buy anything Chinese made tho. If it helps don't stop take them LONG term!
Specially females never forget to have density test done
every 2 years or so. If your doctor does not order it, ask and insist
on it.

A downside of many tablets (SWMBO was previously taking glucosamine) is
that it can lead to kidney stones. (at least that was one of the
recommended supplements to drop when she was hospitalized with one)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
On 12/3/2015 8:27 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/03/2015 04:49 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
If pain is bad, try high quality Curamed, or Curamin. Specially
processed curry powder. Very, Very effective.

Tumeric capsules work for me. The generic tumeric from Swanson's is
much less
expensive than the Terry brand name. Boswellia and DLPA is also
inexpensive if, there
you want to throw that into the mix.

Again, "works" in what way? Regrows hair? Controls body odor?
Sexual stamina?

It is known as anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, anti-cancer. About 3000
research record is out there. Japanese folks devised a process which
greatly improves it's absorvability. One can look up how they did it.

Hair grows out of folicles on your head. Biotin, good blood circulation,
organic Silica are basics on healthy hair. Body odor has lot to do with
what you eat. Some smells like skunk...., LOL! I don't. Natural Viagra?
Horny goat, Bulgarian Puncture vine(Tribulus) there are some
serious powerful African herbs which is banned now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

Simply you are what you eat. All your medicine is in your food. Sick
body is acidic, inflamed. Most pain is caused by inflammation. Most pain
killer drug residue accumulates in one's liver and kidney. Long term use
is detrimental which will cause other issues down the road.
Name one drug with zero side effect. Now they;re giving kids with ADD
with new drug which shrinks their Penis. I saw a 10 yo old on that drug
whose penis looks like just that of a new born. His grand mother and
mother came to store asking for help saying they are trying to give the
drug to his sibling 7 yo. Both women were crying talking to us. We
sorted out their diet eliminating dairy and sugar, junk food like
McDonald meal. Some supplements. If they stick to the regimen for a
month or so, they will see the result themselves....They'll know what to
do to get off the drug. It's whole family affair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 11:03 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 12/3/2015 8:27 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/03/2015 04:49 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
If pain is bad, try high quality Curamed, or Curamin. Specially
processed curry powder. Very, Very effective.

Tumeric capsules work for me. The generic tumeric from Swanson's is
much less
expensive than the Terry brand name. Boswellia and DLPA is also
inexpensive if, there
you want to throw that into the mix.

Again, "works" in what way? Regrows hair? Controls body odor?
Sexual stamina?

It is known as anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, anti-cancer. About 3000
research record is out there. Japanese folks devised a process which
greatly improves it's absorvability. One can look up how they did it.

But for what is it *indicated*? I.e., there are lots of general
recommendations for all sorts of substances and practices. But,
also *specific* criteria that indicate the use of a compound/procedure.

Have a headache? Take an aspirin. Aspirin (or another analgesic)
is INDICATED for minor pain from headaches. Cortisone is indicated
to relieve the discomfort of topical itch. etc.

Hair grows out of folicles on your head. Biotin, good blood circulation,
organic Silica are basics on healthy hair. Body odor has lot to do with what
you eat. Some smells like skunk...., LOL! I don't. Natural Viagra? Horny goat,
Bulgarian Puncture vine(Tribulus) there are some
serious powerful African herbs which is banned now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

Horny goat,, another subject you can persue
Bulgarian Puncture vine(Tribulus) there are some
serious powerful African herbs which is banned now.

IMO, your way of thinking is drug for remedy. I'd think headache?
Migraine is worst one. Some serious sufferers are suicidal. I'd think
improving circulation to the brain, relaxing tension, Vitamin B2,
toxic(chemical, heavy metal) congestion in brain area needing cleansing.
There is herb called Fever few which works very well. Aspirin is bad
for your stomach, if your headache works with Aspirin, that is not even
a serious headache.... If you're interested, lots of good(not garbage)
reading material out there. Our men folks most common neglect is about
our state of prostate gland. Take care of prostate B4 it is too late.
Can't just depend on PSA readings.(Most doctors know this) What is your
PSA figure? Don't trust this 100%. Another interesting research is about
S. American herb called Cat's claw(Una Gato, Uncaria Tomentosa) took 20
odd years to figure out active ingredients TOA, and POA. Of course drug
companies don't like Cat's claw. There is a fiction book called Amazonia
about major drug companies war against each other to find herbs(raw
material for making drug, still 25% of all durgs are made from natural
source) inside Amazon jungle. Very thrilling story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Kidney has a role in blood making(bone marrow) Kidneys produce a hormone
which promotes bone marrow production on our body.
And Liver makes blood, some people has a deficiency in utilizing Iron.
It is a fact, certain patient with kidney disease always fight becoming
anemic. Their kidney does not produce that hormone. There is a drug for
that(Eprex) as self administered shot(just like Insulin shot, very small
tiny needle) Quite expensive like ~60.00 a shot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 12:16:32 AM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

[...]

This can be normal in a 10 yr old (pre-pubescent)...there would be more concern after 14 yrs. Some are "late bloomers" and may even be better for longevity. (I noticed you capitalized "penis"!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/03/2015 10:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
Again, "works" in what way? Regrows hair? Controls body odor?
Sexual stamina?

Joint problems, knees specifically. Although in that context I meant
that I prefer generic tumeric to a secret special blend of snake oil
that sells for much more. I can't honestly say it works since I can't do
a double blind controlled experiment on myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/03/2015 09:38 PM, Don Y wrote:
Asked my MD about this and he suggested jogging. WTF?! No thanks, I'd
like to keep my KNEES a while longer!!

That's my problem. If I walk fast enough for any significant cardio
effect the mechanics of walking become awkward and jogging would be more
efficient and natural. However, I never could run gently.

I *have* noticed that a few minutes with a SHOVEL is enough to bring me
well into the cardio zone! But, that's usually *work*, not "exercise"!
(how many holes can you dig in a lifetime?)

There are some motions that seem to elevate the pulse more than others.
sometimes I wear a strap type HRM in the gym and I've noticed vertical
rows get my heart rate up more than many other activities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/03/2015 09:59 PM, Don Y wrote:
Heh heh heh... "packy". Such a localized term! Soda? Or Pop?
(Moxie, anyone?)

Tonic... I'd lik to see a New Hampshire native that asks for a bottle
of tonic and get Schweppes quinine...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:43:32 AM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/2/2015 8:53 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Anything involving a ladder.

For me, it's ladders over about six feet.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Sanding the old house paint off this May, I leaned one way, the ladder went the other way and fell about 8 feet, twisting like a cat and landing of fairly soft dirt flat on my back.
Aw Crap!
Went back to my "normal" activities but my back still hurt a lot. Finally had X-rays to reveal a compression fracture in L1. Took 6 week off while it healed. Back to normal by now.

Beware of gravity!
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villain wrote:
[...]

It is known side effect. You think I made up the story?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 11:36 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Yes, one more testimony of naproxyn being stomach
corrosive.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:49:41 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

NSAIDs and immune system suppressants are both dangerous. I had an
arthritis type inflammation problem and they tried to get me on NSAIDs
and Methotrexate. I read the warning "book" for these (it was bigger
than a pamphlet) and I threw both of them in the trash.

The docs also offered me plenty of that "legal heroin"
(oxycotin/oxycodone stuff) and I won't take that either.

I decided a little pain and some physical therapy was better than all
of the side effects of these drugs. I am fine now and remain drug
free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 9:55:28 AM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
bob_villain wrote:
[...]

Mentioning possibilities is not disbelief...in high school, in the '60's guys had swim class in the nude. A guy I knew had an infantile penis...he was short, with little body hair...after HS he sprouted and was normal. Nice guy and we all thought, at least he didn't take ROTC as a way out!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
NSAIDs and immune system suppressants are both dangerous. I had an
arthritis type inflammation problem and they tried to get me on NSAIDs
and Methotrexate. I read the warning "book" for these (it was bigger
than a pamphlet) and I threw both of them in the trash.

The docs also offered me plenty of that "legal heroin"
(oxycotin/oxycodone stuff) and I won't take that either.

I decided a little pain and some physical therapy was better than all
of the side effects of these drugs. I am fine now and remain drug
free.

I agree with that. About 15 years ago the doc had my to take the Metho and
it put here in the hospital because it just about did away with her ability
to fight off a cold. Another doc put her on the Oxy and at the same time a
nut doctor put her on 2 differant kinds of medicen that the write up at the
drug store said should not be used together. That had her fumbling around
like a drunk for about 10 years. I did not notice it too much at the time
as I was working a lot of ovretime. She just did not seem right. After I
retired I noticed what was going on and tried to talk to the doctors about
it. They did not seem to want to do anything. It got so bad she was
falling around all over the place. I finally made her go to a different doc
to find out what was wrong. After cat and mri and several other tests the
doctors said nothing wrong they could find but thought the medicene was the
problem. Got her off all that stuff and only on blood pressure medication
she had been on due to a light stroke years before the other problems.
Now she is back to the way I remembered years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 8:35 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/03/2015 09:59 PM, Don Y wrote:
Heh heh heh... "packy". Such a localized term! Soda? Or Pop?
(Moxie, anyone?)

Tonic... I'd lik to see a New Hampshire native that asks for a bottle of
tonic and get Schweppes quinine...

Or, a "Milk Shake" -- and get a glass of milk with some flavor added...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 8:33 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/03/2015 09:38 PM, Don Y wrote:
Asked my MD about this and he suggested jogging. WTF?! No thanks, I'd
like to keep my KNEES a while longer!!

That's my problem. If I walk fast enough for any significant cardio effect the
mechanics of walking become awkward and jogging would be more efficient and
natural. However, I never could run gently.

I suspect that if I wore the weights around my ankles that I use for static
leg lifts while walking, the effect would be VERY noticeable. But, I think
I would also learn to dislike the walking EVEN MORE!!

I *have* noticed that a few minutes with a SHOVEL is enough to bring me
well into the cardio zone! But, that's usually *work*, not "exercise"!
(how many holes can you dig in a lifetime?)

There are some motions that seem to elevate the pulse more than others.
sometimes I wear a strap type HRM in the gym and I've noticed vertical rows get
my heart rate up more than many other activities.

"Vertical rows"? (I've never been to a gym)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 8:28 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/03/2015 10:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
Again, "works" in what way? Regrows hair? Controls body odor?
Sexual stamina?

Joint problems, knees specifically.

It claims to improve these, how? Controlling pain? Lubricating
surfaces? etc.

Although in that context I meant that I
prefer generic tumeric to a secret special blend of snake oil that sells for
much more. I can't honestly say it works since I can't do a double blind
controlled experiment on myself.

Exactly. That's the problem with all the supplements, dietary advice,
etc. Given the efficacy of placebo effect on many individuals, it's
hard to NOT claim that any self-reported effects are not "in their
head".

I'm not keen on loading up with all sorts of odd substances because someone
*thinks* they've noticed a correlation between its use and whatever.
Especially when encountering those substances naturally in evolutionary
terms would be so unusual.

E.g., I can see how red meat -- in the quantities that we presently
consume it -- can be A Bad Thing: cuz our bodies didn't have the
chance to consume it thusly. Likewise, how many folks can have
problems with grains: given how recently (in evolutionary terms)
we've accepted it into our diet.

We (eventually) hear of all these side-effects of Rx drugs. But,
rarely hear reports of side-effects of these "uncontrolled"
substances (that doesn't mean that there AREN'T any).

So, I try to invest my efforts in doing what *should* be natural
(for a human organism). And, accept the concept that entropy
is an unforgiving bitch! :