Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 1:49:38 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 10:21 PM, Don Y wrote:

OTOH, has anyone ever *studied* potential side-effects?

The potential side effects of tumeric? Yeah, the Indians for a few
thousand years. It tends to stain things yellow.

I understand what you're saying but for many things I don't see a
downside. Garlic is supposed to have beneficial effects but I just like
it. The way I slice up garlic and throw it into everything maybe it
helps, maybe not. Fish oil? Salmon, sardines, herring, and tuna aren't
safe around me whether or not it improves my lipid panels. Olive oil?
You need something in the frying pan and I'm not a fan of rapeseed oil.

Where I get suspicious is with the branded products. Buy this SuperCumer
that's prepared from specially grown tumeric harvested during the full
moon by vestal virgins. It's the real thing compared to the tumeric you
can buy by the pound at the local whole foods store.

Garlic repels vampires. \(~o~)/

[8~{} Uncle Toothy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 3:12 PM, Don Y wrote:
Yeah, I get that at the hardware store when I'm trying to *imagine* a
device to solve one of my technical needs. "Hmmm... do I spend 15 minutes
trying to educate this sales person as to my actual need so they *might*
be able to make some suggestions? Or, when they ask if I need any help,
should I just reply, 'No thanks! I'm all set!'"

I'm also afraid of hardware store drones. One
time I was looking through the aisle, the drone
tried to stay one step ahead of me, and read
all the shelf tags out loud. Really destroyed
my ability to think. I tried to, politely, ask
him to go else where.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What medications are you most Afraid of?

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 14:30:42 -0600, wrote:

Doctors often get "points" from drug companies for prescribing THEIR
meds. These points get them gifts or money, or whatever. Your doctor may
NOT have your best interests in mind. Because of these "points" doctors
tend to over prescribe meds. When I'm offerred a prescription, my first
question is "Is this necessary to cure my ailment or is this just to
cover up the pain?". Most of the time it's just a coverup drug.

I've almost always been affected by the side effects of drugs more than
they help me, so normally I tell the doctor I can do without the meds.
Yes, there have been a few exceptions to this, where the pain was
unbearable. Especially an infected tooth. But most of the time I refuse
these pain meds. I'd rather take a couple shots of liquor than deal with
the side effects of the meds.

On the other side, if the meds are something that will actually cure
what ails me, then I usually take them. But even there some doctors tend
to over prescribe. Especially antibiotics. Heck, a year ago, I had a
"boil", which is pretty much a large pus filled pimple. I've had these
before, and most of the time I drain them myself. Once they are drained,
they heal. But I had one in a place I could not reach, so I finally went
to the doctor. He drained it, then prescribed antibiotics. I questioned
this, and the doctor said "it's just a precaution". I said I'd rather
not take an antibiotic for "THIS", since I know how people can become
immune to them, and I'd rather use them if I was to get severely ill.
The doc said, "they're really not necessary for this, but I'm supposed
to offer them as a precaution". I said, in that case, I'll pass....

As far as the topic of this message, I am "AFRAID" of ALL medications.
But I have good cause. As I said, I almost always get lots of the side
effects, but to add to this, I almost died from a prescribed drug, which
was given to me for a respiratory issue. I was given this drug, took it
as prescribed, and four days later I collapsed, and had a full blown
emergency situation. My blood pressure went real high, and I have never
had high blood pressure. The doctor in the Emergency Room looked at my
medical records (which he got from their computer), and said "has this
ever happened before". I said I have never had any blood pressure
problems. His next question was "are you taking any drugs or
medications". I told him about this stuff I was prescribed four days
ago, and the amount I was taking. He said "Bingo".... "That drug
accumulates in the body, and you were prescribed a very high dose, that
explains what happened".

Once I was stabalized, he sent me home, but said DO NOT take that drug
anymore. I replied "NO ****"..... Then he told me to go back to the
doctor that prescribed it, and explain what happened, and ask them to
find a "safer drug". It took me almost a week to feel normal again...
The doc that prescribed that stuff, told me that I had a "rare" side
effect, but it is one of the side effects listed for the drug. Rather
than prescribe any more pills, I was just given an inhaler to clear out
my respiratory system. That did not cause any real problems, and seemed
to work well.

Those "inhalers" can have pretty potent drugs in them too - some with
severe side effects.. When the one I have used for years, off and on,
was unavailable the Doc perscribed a different one, and I ended up
with TERRIBLE muscle spasms - mostly in my legs at night. I got off
that thing REAL fast!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 3:35 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 12/3/2015 10:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 12/3/2015 9:22 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/02/2015 11:15 PM, Muggles wrote:
I've been doing some exercises since it started hurting, and it
actually
seems to be helping.

I'd started using trekking poles. While they helped for a while I
became
concerned that they might be counterproductive by ultimately reducing
the strength of the supporting musculature so I stopped using them
for a
while. I'll use them this winter but that will be for avoiding
falls on
icy trails rather than just habitually grabbing them.

Last year I was very sick and lost all muscle tone in both legs, so
starting around the middle of January this year I had to work to regain
my legs back, and it's taken a while to get the muscle tone and
strength
back, but I hadn't worked as hard on strengthening my knees. I guess I
thought they were fine, but this little injury was a wake-up call to
pay
more attention to them for sure.

Also don't forget circulation issue. Taking L-Glutamine(most common
amino acid in our body) capsules or powder helps muscle recovery from
fatigue.

Is that the same as taking Glucosamine/Condroitin?

If you ask that question, refresh time for biology/chemistry class.

I never took either class. I chose different science classes in high school.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 12:51 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 10:21 PM, Don Y wrote:

OTOH, has anyone ever *studied* potential side-effects?

The potential side effects of tumeric? Yeah, the Indians for a few thousand
years. It tends to stain things yellow.

So, side effect is poverty, large families, overcrowding, etc.? :

I understand what you're saying but for many things I don't see a downside.

I don't know. No one goes looking for side-effects of non-Rx substnces.
OTOH, go for certain medical procedures and they want to be sure you've
discontinued (even if only temporarily) the use of certain products.

Garlic is supposed to have beneficial effects but I just like it. The way I
slice up garlic and throw it into everything maybe it helps, maybe not. Fish

Ditto. We make a sort of "stuffed pizza" -- dough on top and bottom
with broccoli in the middle. Saute broccoli in garlic and olive oil
before baking.

Folks (who *taught* me how to make this) wonder why mine is SO much
better than theirs! Simple: where they use *cloves* of garlic, I
use *heads* of garlic!

oil? Salmon, sardines, herring, and tuna aren't safe around me whether or not
it improves my lipid panels. Olive oil? You need something in the frying pan
and I'm not a fan of rapeseed oil.

I was chatting with a friend's wife while she prepared their dinner one
day. She had removed the outer skins from several small (tennis ball)
onions and had them lined up on the counter.

Without consciously thinking about it, I reached over, picked one up
and started eating it (like you'd normally eat an apple).

The expression on her face made me realize what I'd done; NOT that
I was eating an onion but that I had "helped myself" to HER dinner
preparations!

Embarassed, I apologized, turned a few shades of red, etc. She said,
"No problem -- I'd just never seen anyone eat an ONION like that, before!"
(It never occurred to me that this would be so unusual!)

Where I get suspicious is with the branded products. Buy this SuperCumer that's
prepared from specially grown tumeric harvested during the full moon by vestal
virgins. It's the real thing compared to the tumeric you can buy by the pound
at the local whole foods store.

Yup. I try to use non-sugar sweeteners (sugar tastes like ... sugar!) in my
tea -- simply because I drink a LOT of tea (about a gallon a day). And, buying
several pounds of homey every month gets to be ridiculous!

Stumbled onto stevia many years ago. After getting accustomed to the
(funky) taste, I started using it almost exclusively. A little goes
a VERY long way!

Then, stevia received FDA approval (previously had been some scandals
about using it as a foodstuff). Suddenly, all the "big players" have
their own "Gucci" stevia products.

Sheesh.

Time for second bake...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 03:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
Dunno. As I said, I tend to be more of the "functional" sort of user.
And, "fashion" has never been anywhere on my list of preceivables.
SWMBO complains that I need to be reminded to make sure I have *pants*
on when I greet the mailman (woman) to receive a package!

("What's the big deal? If I was wearing shorts she'd just as much!")

If you look like Scott Foley, answer the door in your skivvies and the mail lady will prolly enjoy your package.

OTOH, if you look more like Humpty Dumpty, put some pants on before you open the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 12:22 PM, Muggles wrote:
I had an elliptical for a while, but had to get rid of it because it was
starting to strain both of my knees.

I thought it was because I was doing it wrong. What it reminded me of
the most is Nordic skiing. Except I didn't fall down in snow drifts as
often.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 12:21 PM, Muggles wrote:
Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

Is that the same as lycra? As in what your well undressed nerd on a
$2500 road bike wears?

http://road.cc/content/news/130207-c...ined-revealing

Worked great for the Columbian team.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 01:06 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I always thought that the guy who invented Lycra should get a Nobel
prize.

Or shot at dawn. It all depends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 01:06 PM, Muggles wrote:
I was glad when I got out of that, though, because I don't
have the steady hands that I used to have to do all the plateau
embroidery and cut work.

Okay, google just let me down. What's 'plateau embroidery'? My
grandmother did something that involved hoops and about 1000 little
skeins of yarn, thread, or whatever it's called.

One of my aunts was a seamstress for a while and tended to have a
mouthful of straight pins rather than using a pin cushion. She looked up
one day and one of the ankle biters was emulating her. I don't think she
breathed until the kid was disarmed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 02:55 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Garlic repels vampires.

Dammit! That's why all those sexy looking vampires aren't beating a
path to my door. How about werewolves? I wouldn't mind finding Marsha
Quist on my doorstep either.

http://horror.wikia.com/wiki/Marsha_Quist

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 01:48 PM, Don Y wrote:
But, I was "sh*tting red" for weeks! (and my thumbnails were
INCREDIBLY sore!!)

did you ever look into why pistachios were dyed red? Then for further
confusion, why is pistachio ice cream often green? I wonder if they
still sell those cellophane bags of red pistachios in bars? Now that's a
way to keep a drunk occupied for hours. Until they hit one that won't
open and try to smash it with a shot glass, that is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 03:10 PM, wrote:
Those "inhalers" can have pretty potent drugs in them too - some with
severe side effects..

They haven't sold the really good inhalers in ages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 6:36 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/05/2015 12:22 PM, Muggles wrote:
I had an elliptical for a while, but had to get rid of it because it was
starting to strain both of my knees.

I thought it was because I was doing it wrong. What it reminded me of
the most is Nordic skiing. Except I didn't fall down in snow drifts as
often.

I did enjoy using the treadmill at the gym more than the elliptical. I
never had the balance to run on a treadmill, though.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 6:42 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/05/2015 12:21 PM, Muggles wrote:
Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

Is that the same as lycra? As in what your well undressed nerd on a
$2500 road bike wears?

http://road.cc/content/news/130207-c...ined-revealing

Worked great for the Columbian team.

It could be. There are lots of different versions of spandex.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 6:17 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/05/2015 01:48 PM, Don Y wrote:
But, I was "sh*tting red" for weeks! (and my thumbnails were
INCREDIBLY sore!!)

did you ever look into why pistachios were dyed red?

Nope. But I've noticed that there are at least two different
processes for "coloring them" red. One appears to be a sort
of painted on coating; I wonder if they use "coating pans"
intended for pharmaceutical use?

(IME, these are usually NOT the "good" nuts)

Then for further
confusion, why is pistachio ice cream often green?

Actually, never tasted pistachio ice cream! It just
doesn't seem like the sort of flavor that would lend
itself (well) to a "milk product".

I wonder if they still sell
those cellophane bags of red pistachios in bars?

I've not been in a bar in at least 30 years. Maybe more?

Now that's a way to keep a
drunk occupied for hours. Until they hit one that won't open and try to smash
it with a shot glass, that is.

I used to buy them in 5lb bags. In my rush to open and eat as
many as possible in as short a timespan as possible, I would
drop the ones that wouldn't open back into the bag.

Of course, as the bag's contents fell, the number of
"frustrations" would rise!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 6:55 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/05/2015 01:06 PM, Muggles wrote:
I was glad when I got out of that, though, because I don't
have the steady hands that I used to have to do all the plateau
embroidery and cut work.

Okay, google just let me down. What's 'plateau embroidery'? My
grandmother did something that involved hoops and about 1000 little
skeins of yarn, thread, or whatever it's called.

When the principle ballerina wears a tutu it can be decorated by a top
flat portion that's attached to the top of the tutu. Part of what I did
was take the ballet designers pattern and create the tutu plateau which
could include intricate sewing patterns (sometimes zig-zagged) using
invisible thread and then cut outs in the pattern, and then glittery
jewels and beads were sew on to decorate the plateau.

One of my aunts was a seamstress for a while and tended to have a
mouthful of straight pins rather than using a pin cushion. She looked up
one day and one of the ankle biters was emulating her. I don't think she
breathed until the kid was disarmed.

LOL I always used a pin cushion, and supplemented with a wand magnet.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 12/03/2015 10:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
Again, "works" in what way? Regrows hair? Controls body odor?
Sexual stamina?

Joint problems, knees specifically. Although in that context I meant
that I prefer generic tumeric to a secret special blend of snake oil
that sells for much more. I can't honestly say it works since I can't do
a double blind controlled experiment on myself.

The special processing of it was as a result of simple research.
Subject was given orally tumeric powder in a capsule. And every 2 hours
draw the blood, tested the sign of tumeric active ingredient. Hardly any
sign of absorption by digestive tract. Then they broke down the powder
40X smaller, repeat the test. Then they could see tumeric in the blood.
The process is devised by Japanese doctors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
On 12/4/2015 8:25 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 12:19 PM, Don Y wrote:
It claims to improve these, how? Controlling pain? Lubricating
surfaces? etc.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-su...guide-turmeric

There are plenty of mights and maybes there to go around. otoh, there
isn't the
laundry list of side effects that go with many prescription drugs and
tumeric
is cheap. I sometimes use tumeric root in lieu of ginger in cooking
but you
don't see it often in the stores here.

OTOH, has anyone ever *studied* potential side-effects?

What annoys me with much of medicine is how willy-nilly it appears
to be! Ask a doctor why X "works" -- or, why Y doesn't -- and an
HONEST doctor will typically say, "We don't know..." :

And, the individual is ill-qualified to make an objective evaluation
of the items/processes/recommendations in question. Placebo effect,
lack of "controls", too small of a sample size (i.e., *1*), etc.

I have some annoying seasonal allergies -- primarily anything that's
a plant! : Historically, I'd more or less (thought!) I'd outgrown
them as I aged. In hindsight, it was probably the differing environments
(e.g., not much flora in beantown!)

Coming here, of course, is probably the worst situation as things are
ALWAYS in bloom. So, if my allergy for X is subsiding, my allergy to
Y is on the uptick.

Not keen on treating symptoms as you just pop pills endlessly. And,
they all tend to be depressants of some sort.

Tried injections a few times when I was really bad (e.g., unable to
breathe without distress). But, that's not a long term solution,
either. (and, I think it's just a steroid)

Tried SLIT discipline a few years back (drops under tongue).
Not a "medicine" but, rather, expose body to the allergens in
an ever increasing concentration to (hopefully) build up
a tolerance. Ongoing process -- you do it *forever* (potentially)
to retain this desensitized state.

Apparently, the same receptors that cause your body to sense/react
to the allergens are present under tongue. So, you can expose
them to the allergens there (instead of in lungs, eyes, sinuses,
etc.)

OK, that at least *seems* to have some rational basis!

Did this for a couple of years. Didn't "cure" me but SWMBO claims
I complained far less (than I had about symptoms in other years).

Ah, but how much would I have "complained" had I not been taking
them at all?? Perhaps those years would have been "mild" years
for my allergies!

Quit a couple of years ago (expensive habit). Level of "complaints"
didn't increase. Medical "explanation" is that my body had
achieved a heightened level of tolerance to the allergens.

Until, recently -- started having stronger symptoms, again. Medical
"explanation" (it's so hard not to bemusingly say "rationalization"!)
is "your body's tolerance has worn off".

OK, that's also possible (I'm not an expert on human biology or immune

Start up the routine, again. Write the monthly checks. Yet, despite
what *appears* to be "sound reasoning", I'm always wondering if I'm
just buying expensive snake oil...

OTOH, if the lack of symptoms is purely coincidence, I can afford to
pay for that coincidence! ;-)

Allergy is related to immune function, adrenal gland. Just simply to
say, not a good thing. When daughter was taking micro biology with
immunology specialty B4 medical school I shared his text books and
learned thing or two how immune system works. Probably most allergy
medicine is steroid or anti-histamine family. First you have to
understand what they do to your body. I even came across a person whose
adrenal gland was completely worn out. Some cases genetics play too.
First thing to avoid is allergy sensitive people should avoid eating
nuts, SPECIALLY peanuts. It'll lower L-lysine in the body and will make
things worse. My idea is draw from both sides, herbal medicine has more
than 5000 years history. What is your allergen? Did you have done
comprehensive allergy test? Where you live could be not a good place for
your allergy.

My god father had serious bronchitis and always in bad shape due to
difficulty breathing. Doc suggested he move to Arizona, dry and warm
place. His symptom got much worse living there couple years, air borne
desert pollen was the cause. He had to move back. Here in Calgary there
are more than 100 health food stores. Some are just franchise business
like 7-11 store. Only handful of them are worthy place to visit run by
independent owner with good credentials(they know what they are doing).
This industry is quite strongly regulated in Canada vs. in U.S. any
thing goes to the level of danger to human health. Products being sold
here ust have NPN(natural product no.) issued by federal govt. after
testing each and every product applied for NPN. Application fee is not
a paltry sum, fly by night crooks can't go thru this process. Read about
you Drug administration's new drug approving committee members. They
all own big shares of drug companies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 3:55:14 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 2:45 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 2:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How would that be any different than a bikini?

Well, there isn't much difference, but at the same time why do many
women not want someone peeping in their windows while they're in their
underwear?

I suspect the difference is that they *expect* some privacy in those
settings -- but DON'T when on the beach!

If someone sold swimwear made to LOOK like underwear, would it
be scandalous??

Isn't it different when it's your wife being scandalous?

That's a double-standard. If it's OK for my neighbor's wife to
parade around in her "privates", why would it be any less/more
so for anyone else??

I just don't look(or just ignore) if I don't like some thing.

So you would equally like/dislike a person in scanty swimwear
the same as in equally scanty UNDERwear? That's the issue
I don't understand -- what's the difference?

I am not a neighborhood morale judge. Some people sure like to
expose selves, maybe that is form of disease. I have one private habit.
I always sleep naked. Best way to sleep well for me.

I tend to sleep fully clothed -- simply because I "collapse"
when I'm too tired to stay awake! Bed, living room floor,
office chair, etc. Worry about getting undressed and cleaned
up when I "regain consciousness" :

I spent months wearing nothing but a hospital gown because the laundry lost my clothing when I got here back in February. Now I wear T shirts and big kid disposable pull-ups. They did find some clothing for me that I wear when I go to doctors appointments. I only had the clothes I was wearing when I got here because I never thought I'd be here for any length of time. At least I'm not wearing diapers. \(~o~)/

[8~{} Uncle Nekid Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 2:12:30 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 12:34 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 08:13 PM, Don Y wrote:
Always amusing to try
explaining what you're looking for to the sales clerks -- who are
used to WOMEN coming in with very specific requests:
"Can I help you, sir?"
"Yeah, I'm looking for something stretchy..."

That's about how my conversations go. The fatal one is "What are you going to
use it for?" "You don't want to know." is the most accurate if not the
politest response.

Yeah, I get that at the hardware store when I'm trying to *imagine* a
device to solve one of my technical needs. "Hmmm... do I spend 15 minutes
trying to educate this sales person as to my actual need so they *might*
be able to make some suggestions? Or, when they ask if I need any help,
should I just reply, 'No thanks! I'm all set!'"

That's often how it goes in the hardware store or Home Depot unless I'm looking
for a specific item that will be used for its intended purpose.

When you can rattle off very *specific* requirements -- but can't put a name
on the item (or, an application to which THEY would relate), it tends to leave
them stupified. I.e., "clearly *he* knows what he's looking for (in detail!)
so why can't I figure out what he wants??"

The funniest one I've see was a young Goth couple looking at leashes and
collars at the ranch supply store. The clerk was really trying to be helpful
but he was in way over his head. "How big is the dog?" "There isn't a dog."

He/she should have matter-of-factly turned to his/her mate, wrapped their
hands around their neck to gauge the size; then, removed them and said
"About this big..." (knowing that the salesperson had watched the entire
event!).

Do you walk through a hardware store or dig through a box of disparate parts and visualize in your head how you could bring items together to build a functional gizmo? ()

[8~{} Uncle Hardware Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 2:20:59 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/5/2015 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 1:08 PM, Muggles wrote:

Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

I didn't realize spandex *was* "swim suit material"! I've always
worn cut-offs... :

Well, it's base material is spandex, but some swim suit material can be
a combination of fabrics.

Dunno. As I said, I tend to be more of the "functional" sort of user.
And, "fashion" has never been anywhere on my list of preceivables.
SWMBO complains that I need to be reminded to make sure I have *pants*
on when I greet the mailman (woman) to receive a package!

("What's the big deal? If I was wearing shorts she'd just as much!")

LOL SWMBO is giving you good advice.

Would you like her to greet the male UPS delivery man in her bra and
panties?
--
Maggie

I've been met at the door by women wearing bathing suits. I'd just talk to their cleavage. Does that make me a bad person? .

[8~{} Uncle Surprised Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 8:55:00 PM UTC-6, Uncle Monster wrote:

I've been met at the door by women wearing bathing suits. I'd just talk to their cleavage. Does that make me a bad person? .

[8~{} Uncle Surprised Monster

Not just for that reason! 【】【】
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 2:45:55 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 1:21 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/5/2015 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 1:08 PM, Muggles wrote:

Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

I didn't realize spandex *was* "swim suit material"! I've always
worn cut-offs... :

Well, it's base material is spandex, but some swim suit material can be
a combination of fabrics.

Dunno. As I said, I tend to be more of the "functional" sort of user.
And, "fashion" has never been anywhere on my list of preceivables.
SWMBO complains that I need to be reminded to make sure I have *pants*
on when I greet the mailman (woman) to receive a package!

("What's the big deal? If I was wearing shorts she'd just as much!")

LOL SWMBO is giving you good advice.

Would you like her to greet the male UPS delivery man in her bra and
panties?

How would that be any different than a bikini?

If comeone sold swimwear made to LOOK like underwear, would it
be scandalous??

I do believe it's already been done. Heck, some swimwear looks like nothing is there. ლ(ლ)

[8~{} Uncle Underwear Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 7:35 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Allergy is related to immune function, adrenal gland. Just simply to say, not a
good thing. When daughter was taking micro biology with
immunology specialty B4 medical school I shared his text books and
learned thing or two how immune system works. Probably most allergy
medicine is steroid or anti-histamine family. First you have to understand what
they do to your body. I even came across a person whose
adrenal gland was completely worn out. Some cases genetics play too.
First thing to avoid is allergy sensitive people should avoid eating nuts,
SPECIALLY peanuts. It'll lower L-lysine in the body and will make things worse.
My idea is draw from both sides, herbal medicine has more
than 5000 years history. What is your allergen? Did you have done comprehensive
allergy test? Where you live could be not a good place for
your allergy.

My scratch test was done on my back. Practically the entire surface
was inflamed (welts) afterwards. IIRC, there were 6 out of 48 (or 60??)
allergens to which I did NOT have significant reactions. And, these
were kind of amusing (horse & cat -- but not dog; most molds -- but not
penicillium; NOT dust/mites; all grasses; NOT ragweed; etc.).

And, of course, many of the local offenders weren't even included in the
panel (though I know I have strong reactions to them -- most folks do!)

I'd had bad allergies as a child (entirely different part of the country)
so this wasn't a big surprise...

My god father had serious bronchitis and always in bad shape due to difficulty
breathing. Doc suggested he move to Arizona, dry and warm
place. His symptom got much worse living there couple years, air borne desert
pollen was the cause. He had to move back. Here in Calgary there

Exactly. Plus, a fair bit of dirt in the air (think: Haboobs).
There is ALWAYS something in bloom, here. My MD has a pollen chart on
the wall in his office -- which plants produce at which times of year.
It's just one series of peaks after another: this peaks now, that
peaks next month, something else peaks the month after, etc.

Certain seasons the ground, cars, etc. will be covered in yellow pollen.

are more than 100 health food stores. Some are just franchise business
like 7-11 store. Only handful of them are worthy place to visit run by
independent owner with good credentials(they know what they are doing).
This industry is quite strongly regulated in Canada vs. in U.S. any thing goes
to the level of danger to human health. Products being sold
here ust have NPN(natural product no.) issued by federal govt. after
testing each and every product applied for NPN. Application fee is not
a paltry sum, fly by night crooks can't go thru this process. Read about
you Drug administration's new drug approving committee members. They all own
big shares of drug companies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:07:49 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 12/05/2015 02:55 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Garlic repels vampires.

Dammit! That's why all those sexy looking vampires aren't beating a
path to my door. How about werewolves? I wouldn't mind finding Marsha
Quist on my doorstep either.

http://horror.wikia.com/wiki/Marsha_Quist

Oh she is so yummy!

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Muggles:
With just about any fabric that has a noticeable grain there can be some
stretch to it when it's cut or sewed, and when that happens the pull
will end up being partially on the bias of the grain, which by it's
nature will stretch.

Make sense?

Yes... thanks ! .... that was really bothering me... didn't know if I
was losing my mind or what...
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per rbowman:
Is that the same as lycra? As in what your well undressed nerd on a
$2500 road bike wears?

http://road.cc/content/news/130207-c...ined-revealing

Worked great for the Columbian team.

Why cyclists wear black:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...21546127227042
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:15:40 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 12/05/2015 01:48 PM, Don Y wrote:
But, I was "sh*tting red" for weeks! (and my thumbnails were
INCREDIBLY sore!!)

did you ever look into why pistachios were dyed red? Then for further
confusion, why is pistachio ice cream often green? I wonder if they
still sell those cellophane bags of red pistachios in bars? Now that's a
way to keep a drunk occupied for hours. Until they hit one that won't
open and try to smash it with a shot glass, that is.

I buy the un-dyed pistachios and often get the nuts with no shell. I suppose part of the fun eating them is breaking them out of the shell? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Nut Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 9:20 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Muggles:
With just about any fabric that has a noticeable grain there can be some
stretch to it when it's cut or sewed, and when that happens the pull
will end up being partially on the bias of the grain, which by it's
nature will stretch.

Make sense?

Yes... thanks ! .... that was really bothering me... didn't know if I
was losing my mind or what...

naaa ... try sewing silk with invisible thread. haha!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

It probably makes you normal!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 9:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:15:40 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 12/05/2015 01:48 PM, Don Y wrote:
But, I was "sh*tting red" for weeks! (and my thumbnails were
INCREDIBLY sore!!)

did you ever look into why pistachios were dyed red? Then for further
confusion, why is pistachio ice cream often green? I wonder if they
still sell those cellophane bags of red pistachios in bars? Now that's a
way to keep a drunk occupied for hours. Until they hit one that won't
open and try to smash it with a shot glass, that is.

I buy the un-dyed pistachios and often get the nuts with no shell. I suppose part of the fun eating them is breaking them out of the shell? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Nut Monster

Darn it. Now I want some pistachios. {adds to grocery list}

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 08:23 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Why cyclists wear black:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...21546127227042

Wise choice. If nothing else the red ones look a bit uncomfortable.
There has been some discussion whether extended bicycling can cause
erectile dysfunction; shrink wrapping your Eier can't help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 06:46 PM, Muggles wrote:
When the principle ballerina wears a tutu it can be decorated by a top
flat portion that's attached to the top of the tutu. Part of what I did
was take the ballet designers pattern and create the tutu plateau which
could include intricate sewing patterns (sometimes zig-zagged) using
invisible thread and then cut outs in the pattern, and then glittery
jewels and beads were sew on to decorate the plateau.

I'm so far out of my league... I did know a woman who worked for a
fashion house that specialized in stripper costumes. One of their
hottest sellers was a pubic hair wig for the performers in Boston's
Combat Zone. Is that anything like a tutu?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 06:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
Nope. But I've noticed that there are at least two different
processes for "coloring them" red. One appears to be a sort
of painted on coating; I wonder if they use "coating pans"
intended for pharmaceutical use?

(IME, these are usually NOT the "good" nuts)

I believe the coloring was just for that reason, to disguise inferior
product.

Actually, never tasted pistachio ice cream! It just
doesn't seem like the sort of flavor that would lend
itself (well) to a "milk product".

Works for me, but tastes differ.

I've not been in a bar in at least 30 years. Maybe more?

That's about my time frame too although I was technically in a bar this
summer for a Steve Earle concert.

I used to buy them in 5lb bags. In my rush to open and eat as
many as possible in as short a timespan as possible, I would
drop the ones that wouldn't open back into the bag.

Of course, as the bag's contents fell, the number of
"frustrations" would rise!

Cheating. I sometimes buy nuts in the shell to slow down my consumption
rate. Those 2 1/2 lb jars of mixed nuts from CostCo are just too easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 08:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I buy the un-dyed pistachios and often get the nuts with no shell. I suppose part of the fun eating them is breaking them out of the shell? ^_^

Just like clams.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 11:22 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/05/2015 06:46 PM, Muggles wrote:
When the principle ballerina wears a tutu it can be decorated by a top
flat portion that's attached to the top of the tutu. Part of what I did
was take the ballet designers pattern and create the tutu plateau which
could include intricate sewing patterns (sometimes zig-zagged) using
invisible thread and then cut outs in the pattern, and then glittery
jewels and beads were sew on to decorate the plateau.

I'm so far out of my league... I did know a woman who worked for a
fashion house that specialized in stripper costumes. One of their
hottest sellers was a pubic hair wig for the performers in Boston's
Combat Zone. Is that anything like a tutu?

hahaha! Here's one photo of a ballerina in her tutu:

http://babar.it/wp-content/uploads/imported/304.jpg

The tutu is the skirt like garment that is made of stiff netting that
sticks out.

For a plateau, picture a flat decorated layer that rests on top of the
netting similar to this:
http://tinyurl.com/qga8a9m

This is what I did - made the decorated plateau of a principle
ballerina's costume. Swan Lake was one of the ballets I did that for.
--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 10:27 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/05/2015 06:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
Nope. But I've noticed that there are at least two different
processes for "coloring them" red. One appears to be a sort
of painted on coating; I wonder if they use "coating pans"
intended for pharmaceutical use?

(IME, these are usually NOT the "good" nuts)

I believe the coloring was just for that reason, to disguise inferior product.

Dunno. The ones I buy are red and definitely not "cheap"!
($19/lb) Though last time I looked at their web site
(to buy some almonds), I didn't find the red nuts listed
(but, admit that I wasn't actively looking for them)

Actually, never tasted pistachio ice cream! It just
doesn't seem like the sort of flavor that would lend
itself (well) to a "milk product".

Works for me, but tastes differ.

I prefer (homemade):
- black raspberry
- butter pecan
- almond chocolate chip w/ almonds

(storebought):
- cherry garcia
- french vanilla
- strawberry (w/fruit)

I've not been in a bar in at least 30 years. Maybe more?

That's about my time frame too although I was technically in a bar this summer
for a Steve Earle concert.

Buddy Guy back east in a similar venue! : But, I know that's definitely
more than 25 years ago (not sure if it would make the "30" mark)

I used to buy them in 5lb bags. In my rush to open and eat as
many as possible in as short a timespan as possible, I would
drop the ones that wouldn't open back into the bag.

Of course, as the bag's contents fell, the number of
"frustrations" would rise!

Cheating. I sometimes buy nuts in the shell to slow down my consumption rate.
Those 2 1/2 lb jars of mixed nuts from CostCo are just too easy.

Yeah, I've had friends suggest buying pistachio *nutmeats*.
WTF?? Totally different experience!