Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

On 12/5/2015 12:51 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 10:21 PM, Don Y wrote:

OTOH, has anyone ever *studied* potential side-effects?

The potential side effects of tumeric? Yeah, the Indians for a few thousand
years. It tends to stain things yellow.

So, side effect is poverty, large families, overcrowding, etc.? :

I understand what you're saying but for many things I don't see a downside.

I don't know. No one goes looking for side-effects of non-Rx substnces.
OTOH, go for certain medical procedures and they want to be sure you've
discontinued (even if only temporarily) the use of certain products.

Garlic is supposed to have beneficial effects but I just like it. The way I
slice up garlic and throw it into everything maybe it helps, maybe not. Fish

Ditto. We make a sort of "stuffed pizza" -- dough on top and bottom
with broccoli in the middle. Saute broccoli in garlic and olive oil
before baking.

Folks (who *taught* me how to make this) wonder why mine is SO much
better than theirs! Simple: where they use *cloves* of garlic, I
use *heads* of garlic!

oil? Salmon, sardines, herring, and tuna aren't safe around me whether or not
it improves my lipid panels. Olive oil? You need something in the frying pan
and I'm not a fan of rapeseed oil.

I was chatting with a friend's wife while she prepared their dinner one
day. She had removed the outer skins from several small (tennis ball)
onions and had them lined up on the counter.

Without consciously thinking about it, I reached over, picked one up
and started eating it (like you'd normally eat an apple).

The expression on her face made me realize what I'd done; NOT that
I was eating an onion but that I had "helped myself" to HER dinner
preparations!

Embarassed, I apologized, turned a few shades of red, etc. She said,
"No problem -- I'd just never seen anyone eat an ONION like that, before!"
(It never occurred to me that this would be so unusual!)

Where I get suspicious is with the branded products. Buy this SuperCumer that's
prepared from specially grown tumeric harvested during the full moon by vestal
virgins. It's the real thing compared to the tumeric you can buy by the pound
at the local whole foods store.

Yup. I try to use non-sugar sweeteners (sugar tastes like ... sugar!) in my
tea -- simply because I drink a LOT of tea (about a gallon a day). And, buying
several pounds of homey every month gets to be ridiculous!

Stumbled onto stevia many years ago. After getting accustomed to the
(funky) taste, I started using it almost exclusively. A little goes
a VERY long way!

Then, stevia received FDA approval (previously had been some scandals
about using it as a foodstuff). Suddenly, all the "big players" have
their own "Gucci" stevia products.

Sheesh.

Time for second bake...