Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

Per rbowman:
A Stairmaster can be even more intense since you're
lifting you body weight on every step.

Have you ever considered a treadmill? You can often find good bargains
about the third week in January when the resolutions get unresolved. I'm
not that fond of them and prefer to be out hiking but it sounds like you
approach walking as an unpleasant chore. A treadmill allows you to watch
videos, read a book, or whatever without worrying about getting run over
or assaulted by someone's labradoodle.

I actually bought my own StairMaster ripoff a bunch of years ago.

Found it very convenient for the reasons noted above - independent of
weather, able to read and/or listen to music and/or watch videos...

In fact, I became something of a StairMaster chauvinist, thinking that
Real Men used StairMasters and that elliptical machines were for wimps.

Then I tried one of the monster "PreCor AMT 835" elliptical machines at
the local YMCA...
(http://www.precor.com/en-us/home/pro...motion-trainer)

Haven't used my StairMaster since...

The things are huge and the cost a bundle, but they give me the highest
heart rates for the least perceived exertion of anything I have ever
used. It's almost like swimming while standing up: step height is
adjustable, step length is adjustable, effort is adjustable....

Highly recommended.... just don't try the lesser models because you may
come away thinking that elliptical machines are not for you.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
In winter, I can afford to walk when I get up or just before startingAA
to work -- noonish -- as it's warmed up enough for the cool morning
air not to irritate my lungs. If I miss this narrow window, then
the alternative is to use the indoor track at the park up the
road. But, it's barely 1.25 miles from here and hard to rationalize
DRIVING that distance (each way) just to get 4 miles under my feet.
Seems more logical to WALK there and have 2.5 miles already accounted!

But, then I'm walking in the cool air, again.

they have these high tech gadgets called scarfs...
you wrap them around your nose/face so that you are
breathing air preheated by your exhale.

if you don't like long dangly things find someone
who knits and tell them you want a ring (helps to
measure around your face and then from your chest to
the bottom of your nose). i get a lot of laughs
when i call it "the foreskin". Ma knits something
almost continually and does double and quadruple
threads to get "bulk" and so the ring is fairly
thick. i had her do a second one slightly larger
than the first one for when the winter winds get
howling and we go out walking, i'll need a second
layer...

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 6:37 AM, songbird wrote:
Don Y wrote:
In winter, I can afford to walk when I get up or just before startingAA
to work -- noonish -- as it's warmed up enough for the cool morning
air not to irritate my lungs. If I miss this narrow window, then
the alternative is to use the indoor track at the park up the
road. But, it's barely 1.25 miles from here and hard to rationalize
DRIVING that distance (each way) just to get 4 miles under my feet.
Seems more logical to WALK there and have 2.5 miles already accounted!

But, then I'm walking in the cool air, again.

they have these high tech gadgets called scarfs...
you wrap them around your nose/face so that you are
breathing air preheated by your exhale.

grin Doesn't work. Remember, it's cool LOTS of (consecutive) days
and I do this every day! So, lots of opportunities to try different
things and hope to identify the "problem"/cause.

It's not the temperature of the air, alone -- I'm out in the wee hours
of the morning many times in the winter months watching meteor showers
for an hour at a time (in COLDER temperatures).

It's not the dryness of the air (see above).

Nor is it the allergens that happen to peak at that time of year
(vs. the allergens that peak at other times of the year).

I suspect it is a combination of things exacerbated by the more
vigorous/deep breathing that comes with prolonged exertion. I
move more air through my lungs when walking than when standing
(outdoors) watching the sky, etc.

I suspect the biggest issue is abusing them when younger...
coupled with some illnesses that seemed to make them (lungs)
more frail. E.g., I religiously get flu shots, now -- I can't
afford to be "down" for months trying to clear my lungs.
The same is true of "colds" -- I panic fearing a cold will
"settle" in my chest... where it will stay for several months
(chest Xrays, etc.)

if you don't like long dangly things find someone
who knits and tell them you want a ring (helps to
measure around your face and then from your chest to
the bottom of your nose). i get a lot of laughs
when i call it "the foreskin". Ma knits something
almost continually and does double and quadruple
threads to get "bulk" and so the ring is fairly
thick. i had her do a second one slightly larger
than the first one for when the winter winds get
howling and we go out walking, i'll need a second
layer...

This didn't bother me anywhere as much when I lived in Chicago,
for example. Much colder (our winter LOWS are roughly
the same as their winter HIGHS!). But, then again, my
allergies were not as bad, there. And, I was a bit YOUNGER :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 08:05 PM, Don Y wrote:
Treadmill is a big thing to "walk around" every day. E.g., we have
(arcade) pinball machine, video game, etc. in storage as THEY take up
a lot of living space... much prefer "wasting space" on them than
a piece of exercise equipment! :

Some of the elliptical trainers have a smaller footprint but I never
could get used to them. Apparently I'm not alone. The gym I go to is a
smaller mom and pop operation with mostly free weights. If something
collects dust it's out the door and the elliptical trainer didn't last
very long.

(Unhealthy) neighbors have a room devoted to exercise equipment!
I think they *dust* it every few weeks...

That's the usual fate and one of the reasons I pay for a gym membership.
I don't have to fall over it and the fact that I'm incurring an ongoing
expense in the form of dues motivates me to get my money's worth. The
closest I've come is buying a magnetic trainer stand for my bicycle
since I already had the bike. It's pretty lonely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 06:37 AM, songbird wrote:
if you don't like long dangly things find someone
who knits and tell them you want a ring (helps to
measure around your face and then from your chest to
the bottom of your nose).

Look what dangly things did for Isadora Duncan.

I've got a couple of shemaghs which work really well for both the cold
and hot, windy conditions in the desert. Given the political climate
they'll stay in the drawer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 11:22 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/4/2015 9:51 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/4/2015 9:13 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/4/2015 8:01 PM, rbowman wrote:

As you can tell from the website, I'm way out of my comfort zone there
so I
stock up. It's like going to Jo-Ann Fabric to find some naugahyde to
redo a
motorcycle saddle. women with scissors, knitting needles, and other
weapons of
mass destruction make me nervous.

Ha! I as there last week looking for some "stretchy fabric" to make
a cover for the center armrest in the car (easier to make a removable
cover
than to have to clean the damn thing regularly!). Always amusing to try
explaining what you're looking for to the sales clerks -- who are
used to WOMEN coming in with very specific requests:
"Can I help you, sir?"
"Yeah, I'm looking for something stretchy..."
"What do you mean, stretchy?"
"You know, kinda like the waist band on my underwear..."
"Then you want stretch band located in aisle 397"
"No, I don't want it to be narrow like that but, rather,
really *wide*!"
"How wide?"
"Like 15 or 18 inches" (i.e., along the length of the armrest)
"Oh, my!" (no doubt, she's wondering what I'm packing below the
waist!)
"Yeah, something that I can use to make an expanding sleeve, that I
could slip over something and have it HUG it TIGHT when I
let go"
(now she's REALLY starting to wonder about "it" and my
"waistband"!!)

She says, "Swim suit material??"

Spandex.

Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 1:10 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 08:05 PM, Don Y wrote:
Treadmill is a big thing to "walk around" every day. E.g., we have
(arcade) pinball machine, video game, etc. in storage as THEY take up
a lot of living space... much prefer "wasting space" on them than
a piece of exercise equipment! :

Some of the elliptical trainers have a smaller footprint but I never
could get used to them. Apparently I'm not alone. The gym I go to is a
smaller mom and pop operation with mostly free weights. If something
collects dust it's out the door and the elliptical trainer didn't last
very long.

I had an elliptical for a while, but had to get rid of it because it was
starting to strain both of my knees.
[...]

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2015 06:26 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
The things are huge and the cost a bundle, but they give me the highest
heart rates for the least perceived exertion of anything I have ever
used. It's almost like swimming while standing up: step height is
adjustable, step length is adjustable, effort is adjustable....

Highly recommended.... just don't try the lesser models because you may
come away thinking that elliptical machines are not for you.

Like I said in another post, the gym had one for a while but i could
never get into it. It wasn't a Precor but it was a fairly high end model
that came from another gym that had folded. It did get my heart rate up
but I just didn't like the motion. It's gone but the StairMaster lives on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sentinel

That's my favorite StairMaster anyway. The view from the top beats
staring at the gym rafters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 07:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
Ah, OK. Now I understand the reference to "row" -- similar motion
to rowing *seated* in a boat. The weights playing the roll of
the resistance of the water against the oars.

There are a whole family of 'rows', either with free weights or various
machines including the purposed rowing machine that has a sliding seat
like a scull.

I've never considered the need for "equipment" to "get exercise".
Walk the neighborhood, fell a tree, dig a trench, etc. I.e.,
find a way of using an activity in which you would otherwise have
to be engaged and use that for the "calorie dump".

There are plenty of body weight exercises that don't require equipment
or can be improvised using chairs, door frames, and so forth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 08:13 PM, Don Y wrote:
Always amusing to try
explaining what you're looking for to the sales clerks -- who are
used to WOMEN coming in with very specific requests:
"Can I help you, sir?"
"Yeah, I'm looking for something stretchy..."

That's about how my conversations go. The fatal one is "What are you
going to use it for?" "You don't want to know." is the most accurate if
not the politest response.

That's often how it goes in the hardware store or Home Depot unless I'm
looking for a specific item that will be used for its intended purpose.

The funniest one I've see was a young Goth couple looking at leashes and
collars at the ranch supply store. The clerk was really trying to be
helpful but he was in way over his head. "How big is the dog?" "There
isn't a dog."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 12:10 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 08:05 PM, Don Y wrote:
Treadmill is a big thing to "walk around" every day. E.g., we have
(arcade) pinball machine, video game, etc. in storage as THEY take up
a lot of living space... much prefer "wasting space" on them than
a piece of exercise equipment! :

Some of the elliptical trainers have a smaller footprint but I never could get
used to them. Apparently I'm not alone. The gym I go to is a smaller mom and
pop operation with mostly free weights. If something collects dust it's out the
door and the elliptical trainer didn't last very long.

Yeah, it's a big "commitment" -- and something that is really only
*needed* when the weather is inclement (a rarity, here). People
are frequently trying to give away exercise equipment (the used
sporting good stores apparently have SO MUCH that they won't
give anything for an item unless it's top of the line...)

(Unhealthy) neighbors have a room devoted to exercise equipment!
I think they *dust* it every few weeks...

That's the usual fate and one of the reasons I pay for a gym membership. I
don't have to fall over it and the fact that I'm incurring an ongoing expense
in the form of dues motivates me to get my money's worth. The closest I've come
is buying a magnetic trainer stand for my bicycle since I already had the bike.
It's pretty lonely.

We have a city park with recreation center, pool, etc. a mile up the
road. I can walk the indoor track if I fail to get out during the warmer
daylight hours for my exercise. Or, use their "equipment room" (which
always looks incredibly boring). Or, swim laps. Or, walk the outdoor
track (why would I do that instead of just walking around the less
pedestrian-trafficked neighborhood?)

At $25/year it's almost sinful NOT to pay for the (indoor) access!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 09:49 PM, Muggles wrote:
LOL Yeah, us seamstresses have weapons - will travel!

The sewing machine place is the scary one. My mother had a Singer she
used quite a bit but as complex as it got was a button hole attachment.
Some of the new ones cost more than my car and have more computing power
than the machine I'm typing on. I always worry if I get too close I'll
have a monogram embroidered on my left butt cheek in all the colors of
the rainbow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 12:29 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 07:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
Ah, OK. Now I understand the reference to "row" -- similar motion
to rowing *seated* in a boat. The weights playing the roll of
the resistance of the water against the oars.

There are a whole family of 'rows', either with free weights or various
machines including the purposed rowing machine that has a sliding seat like a
scull.

Yes, this was what came to mind when you initially mentioned
"vertical row"; I just couldn't imagine such a machine "standing
on end"! The flaw being keeping the machine in the imagery!

I've never considered the need for "equipment" to "get exercise".
Walk the neighborhood, fell a tree, dig a trench, etc. I.e.,
find a way of using an activity in which you would otherwise have
to be engaged and use that for the "calorie dump".

There are plenty of body weight exercises that don't require equipment or can
be improvised using chairs, door frames, and so forth.

Yup. Had to do PT a while back. All sorts of "machines", "special equipment".
But, if you looked at what they were trying to get your body to do, it
was fairly obvious that the machines were totally unnecessary.

Time to get to my baking. Looks like this weekend will be ****ed away
(5 batches of biscotti and a double batch of pecan sandies).

(sigh) I should know better than to try to make "plans"! :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 9:13 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I didn't realize spandex *was* "swim suit material"! I've always
worn cut-offs... :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 11:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
Sheesh! Competitive dwarf-tossing??

It's dark and cold in Finland for about eight months out of the year. A
few bottles of Stoli in January and you're ready to go out looking for a
dwarf.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 10:21 PM, Don Y wrote:

OTOH, has anyone ever *studied* potential side-effects?

The potential side effects of tumeric? Yeah, the Indians for a few
thousand years. It tends to stain things yellow.

I understand what you're saying but for many things I don't see a
downside. Garlic is supposed to have beneficial effects but I just like
it. The way I slice up garlic and throw it into everything maybe it
helps, maybe not. Fish oil? Salmon, sardines, herring, and tuna aren't
safe around me whether or not it improves my lipid panels. Olive oil?
You need something in the frying pan and I'm not a fan of rapeseed oil.

Where I get suspicious is with the branded products. Buy this SuperCumer
that's prepared from specially grown tumeric harvested during the full
moon by vestal virgins. It's the real thing compared to the tumeric you
can buy by the pound at the local whole foods store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 10:24 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/3/2015 11:16 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Name one drug with zero side effect. Now they;re giving kids with ADD
with new drug which shrinks their Penis. I saw a 10 yo old on that drug
whose penis looks like just that of a new born.

As a consolation, he'll get to drive a CORVETTE when he's older!! ;-)

??? You're saying the Corvette is compensation? I must be okay. I drive
a Yaris and once when I was stopped for some road construction I started
talking to the flagger. After a while she said "You know, this car is
really small!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Muggles:
Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

Is Spandex the same thing as Lycra ?

I always thought that the guy who invented Lycra should get a Nobel
prize.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 1:37 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 09:49 PM, Muggles wrote:
LOL Yeah, us seamstresses have weapons - will travel!

The sewing machine place is the scary one. My mother had a Singer she
used quite a bit but as complex as it got was a button hole attachment.
Some of the new ones cost more than my car and have more computing power
than the machine I'm typing on. I always worry if I get too close I'll
have a monogram embroidered on my left butt cheek in all the colors of
the rainbow.

Mine is a Pfaff, and it's one of those that has a zillion stitches with
programming capabilities. I made a career out of it for many years as a
professional seamstress and made all sorts of things with it. I even
worked for the ballet for several seasons as their principle dancer
seamstress. I was glad when I got out of that, though, because I don't
have the steady hands that I used to have to do all the plateau
embroidery and cut work. That was career #4, I think!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 9:13 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Well, it's base material is spandex, but some swim suit material can be
a combination of fabrics.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 12:34 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 08:13 PM, Don Y wrote:
Always amusing to try
explaining what you're looking for to the sales clerks -- who are
used to WOMEN coming in with very specific requests:
"Can I help you, sir?"
"Yeah, I'm looking for something stretchy..."

That's about how my conversations go. The fatal one is "What are you going to
use it for?" "You don't want to know." is the most accurate if not the
politest response.

Yeah, I get that at the hardware store when I'm trying to *imagine* a
device to solve one of my technical needs. "Hmmm... do I spend 15 minutes
trying to educate this sales person as to my actual need so they *might*
be able to make some suggestions? Or, when they ask if I need any help,
should I just reply, 'No thanks! I'm all set!'"

That's often how it goes in the hardware store or Home Depot unless I'm looking
for a specific item that will be used for its intended purpose.

When you can rattle off very *specific* requirements -- but can't put a name
on the item (or, an application to which THEY would relate), it tends to leave
them stupified. I.e., "clearly *he* knows what he's looking for (in detail!)
so why can't I figure out what he wants??"

The funniest one I've see was a young Goth couple looking at leashes and
collars at the ranch supply store. The clerk was really trying to be helpful
but he was in way over his head. "How big is the dog?" "There isn't a dog."

He/she should have matter-of-factly turned to his/her mate, wrapped their
hands around their neck to gauge the size; then, removed them and said
"About this big..." (knowing that the salesperson had watched the entire
event!).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 2:06 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Muggles:
Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

Is Spandex the same thing as Lycra ?

According to wikipedia it's the same thing.

I always thought that the guy who invented Lycra should get a Nobel
prize.

ditto! I loved it when they made stretch jeans!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 12:58 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 10:24 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/3/2015 11:16 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Name one drug with zero side effect. Now they;re giving kids with ADD
with new drug which shrinks their Penis. I saw a 10 yo old on that drug
whose penis looks like just that of a new born.

As a consolation, he'll get to drive a CORVETTE when he's older!! ;-)

??? You're saying the Corvette is compensation? I must be okay. I drive a
Yaris and once when I was stopped for some road construction I started talking
to the flagger. After a while she said "You know, this car is really small!"

The joke, growing up, was to see some guy in a hot car and wonder if
he was "compensating" (for some other SHORT coming)... ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 1:08 PM, Muggles wrote:

Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

I didn't realize spandex *was* "swim suit material"! I've always
worn cut-offs... :

Well, it's base material is spandex, but some swim suit material can be
a combination of fabrics.

Dunno. As I said, I tend to be more of the "functional" sort of user.
And, "fashion" has never been anywhere on my list of preceivables.
SWMBO complains that I need to be reminded to make sure I have *pants*
on when I greet the mailman (woman) to receive a package!

("What's the big deal? If I was wearing shorts she'd just as much!")

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 12:40 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/04/2015 11:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
Sheesh! Competitive dwarf-tossing??

It's dark and cold in Finland for about eight months out of the year. A few
bottles of Stoli in January and you're ready to go out looking for a dwarf.

I'd be more worried about what he'd do once he *found* one... IN THE DARK!!

:

Ooops! There's the timer. Have to take out the loaves and let them rest...
(this is where I invariably burn my hands)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 1:08 PM, Muggles wrote:

Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

I didn't realize spandex *was* "swim suit material"! I've always
worn cut-offs... :

Well, it's base material is spandex, but some swim suit material can be
a combination of fabrics.

Dunno. As I said, I tend to be more of the "functional" sort of user.
And, "fashion" has never been anywhere on my list of preceivables.
SWMBO complains that I need to be reminded to make sure I have *pants*
on when I greet the mailman (woman) to receive a package!

("What's the big deal? If I was wearing shorts she'd just as much!")

LOL SWMBO is giving you good advice.

Would you like her to greet the male UPS delivery man in her bra and
panties?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 21:36:10 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/4/2015 9:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/4/2015 8:42 PM, Don Y wrote:

Really? I'd never heard that. I love Turkish/Iranian pistachios
(the California stuff is crap). But, I have a problem with
"portion control"... :-/

You mean it's a "Lack of won't power"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Muggles:
Well, it's base material is spandex, but some swim suit material can be
a combination of fabrics.

It sounds like you have some significant sewing/materials expertise.

Here's a question: I just finished sewing up the second trampoline for
my little outrigger canoe/trimaran
(https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...08896384953378)
using material from the backyard trampoline that a neighbor put out for
the trash collectors.

I'll draw a perfectly straight line on this stuff, then I'll cut that
perfectly-straight line, then I'll fold a hem, iron a crease into it and
baste it using basting tape, then I will check again that it is
perfectly straight... then I will sew it and it will come out slightly
curved.

Any idea on what's going on there? I am thinking it has to be
something about the way the machine's foot compresses the weave a little
as it moves along and there's no way around it....

Or am I just wishing it was still straight before sewing ?

Not a huge deal... but inquiring minds want to know....
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What medications are you most Afraid of?

Doctors often get "points" from drug companies for prescribing THEIR
meds. These points get them gifts or money, or whatever. Your doctor may
NOT have your best interests in mind. Because of these "points" doctors
tend to over prescribe meds. When I'm offerred a prescription, my first
question is "Is this necessary to cure my ailment or is this just to
cover up the pain?". Most of the time it's just a coverup drug.

I've almost always been affected by the side effects of drugs more than
they help me, so normally I tell the doctor I can do without the meds.
Yes, there have been a few exceptions to this, where the pain was
unbearable. Especially an infected tooth. But most of the time I refuse
these pain meds. I'd rather take a couple shots of liquor than deal with
the side effects of the meds.

On the other side, if the meds are something that will actually cure
what ails me, then I usually take them. But even there some doctors tend
to over prescribe. Especially antibiotics. Heck, a year ago, I had a
"boil", which is pretty much a large pus filled pimple. I've had these
before, and most of the time I drain them myself. Once they are drained,
they heal. But I had one in a place I could not reach, so I finally went
to the doctor. He drained it, then prescribed antibiotics. I questioned
this, and the doctor said "it's just a precaution". I said I'd rather
not take an antibiotic for "THIS", since I know how people can become
immune to them, and I'd rather use them if I was to get severely ill.
The doc said, "they're really not necessary for this, but I'm supposed
to offer them as a precaution". I said, in that case, I'll pass....

As far as the topic of this message, I am "AFRAID" of ALL medications.
But I have good cause. As I said, I almost always get lots of the side
effects, but to add to this, I almost died from a prescribed drug, which
was given to me for a respiratory issue. I was given this drug, took it
as prescribed, and four days later I collapsed, and had a full blown
emergency situation. My blood pressure went real high, and I have never
had high blood pressure. The doctor in the Emergency Room looked at my
medical records (which he got from their computer), and said "has this
ever happened before". I said I have never had any blood pressure
problems. His next question was "are you taking any drugs or
medications". I told him about this stuff I was prescribed four days
ago, and the amount I was taking. He said "Bingo".... "That drug
accumulates in the body, and you were prescribed a very high dose, that
explains what happened".

Once I was stabalized, he sent me home, but said DO NOT take that drug
anymore. I replied "NO ****"..... Then he told me to go back to the
doctor that prescribed it, and explain what happened, and ask them to
find a "safer drug". It took me almost a week to feel normal again...
The doc that prescribed that stuff, told me that I had a "rare" side
effect, but it is one of the side effects listed for the drug. Rather
than prescribe any more pills, I was just given an inhaler to clear out
my respiratory system. That did not cause any real problems, and seemed
to work well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 2:29 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Muggles:
[...]

Your line may be perfectly straight, but the grain of the fabric may not
be perfectly straight. Plus, the material is used and may not be truly
straight to the original grain of the fabric.

Or am I just wishing it was still straight before sewing ?

Not a huge deal... but inquiring minds want to know....

With just about any fabric that has a noticeable grain there can be some
stretch to it when it's cut or sewed, and when that happens the pull
will end up being partially on the bias of the grain, which by it's
nature will stretch.

Make sense?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 1:21 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/5/2015 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 1:08 PM, Muggles wrote:

Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

I didn't realize spandex *was* "swim suit material"! I've always
worn cut-offs... :

Well, it's base material is spandex, but some swim suit material can be
a combination of fabrics.

Dunno. As I said, I tend to be more of the "functional" sort of user.
And, "fashion" has never been anywhere on my list of preceivables.
SWMBO complains that I need to be reminded to make sure I have *pants*
on when I greet the mailman (woman) to receive a package!

("What's the big deal? If I was wearing shorts she'd just as much!")

LOL SWMBO is giving you good advice.

Would you like her to greet the male UPS delivery man in her bra and
panties?

How would that be any different than a bikini?

If comeone sold swimwear made to LOOK like underwear, would it
be scandalous??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 1:29 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Muggles:
[...]

Your stitches aren't following a single thread-line in the fabric.
I.e., the fabric can be thought of as a grid. But, your stitching
isn't perfectly *aligned* with that grid. So, the structure in the
fabric (i.e., which "horizontal" threads you're crossing along with
which "vertical" threads you're crossing) biases the stitch you're
making.

You also need to ensure top and bottom thread tensions are balanced.

A zig-zag stitch is usually more "accommodating" than a straight
line stitch; it has some elasticity in its structure. (and, moves
each penetration of the fabric farther apart for a given amount
of "forward motion"; sort of like walking/wobbling with legs wide
vs. taking baby steps to make the same forward motion)

Or am I just wishing it was still straight before sewing ?

Not a huge deal... but inquiring minds want to know....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 1:08 PM, Muggles wrote:

Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit"
material is more descriptive to them.

I didn't realize spandex *was* "swim suit material"! I've always
worn cut-offs... :

Well, it's base material is spandex, but some swim suit material can be
a combination of fabrics.

Dunno. As I said, I tend to be more of the "functional" sort of user.
And, "fashion" has never been anywhere on my list of preceivables.
SWMBO complains that I need to be reminded to make sure I have *pants*
on when I greet the mailman (woman) to receive a package!

("What's the big deal? If I was wearing shorts she'd just as much!")

LOL SWMBO is giving you good advice.

Would you like her to greet the male UPS delivery man in her bra and
panties?

How would that be any different than a bikini?

Well, there isn't much difference, but at the same time why do many
women not want someone peeping in their windows while they're in their
underwear?

If comeone sold swimwear made to LOOK like underwear, would it
be scandalous??

Isn't it different when it's your wife being scandalous?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 3:01 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

The fabric is also used and more than likely has random straight and
cross grain stretches already.

You also need to ensure top and bottom thread tensions are balanced.

A zig-zag stitch is usually more "accommodating" than a straight
line stitch; it has some elasticity in its structure. (and, moves
each penetration of the fabric farther apart for a given amount
of "forward motion"; sort of like walking/wobbling with legs wide
vs. taking baby steps to make the same forward motion)

A walking zig-zag is more accommodating than a straight or a normal
zig-zag stitch, and should be used for materials that have an expected
stretch to it. A zig-zag stitch on a trampoline material is only good
for flat felled seams, or seams that fray because of the open weave of
the material.

Or am I just wishing it was still straight before sewing ?

Not a huge deal... but inquiring minds want to know....

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 2:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How would that be any different than a bikini?

Well, there isn't much difference, but at the same time why do many
women not want someone peeping in their windows while they're in their
underwear?

I suspect the difference is that they *expect* some privacy in those
settings -- but DON'T when on the beach!

If someone sold swimwear made to LOOK like underwear, would it
be scandalous??

Isn't it different when it's your wife being scandalous?

That's a double-standard. If it's OK for my neighbor's wife to
parade around in her "privates", why would it be any less/more
so for anyone else??
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 12/3/2015 10:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 12/3/2015 9:22 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/02/2015 11:15 PM, Muggles wrote:
I've been doing some exercises since it started hurting, and it
actually
seems to be helping.

I'd started using trekking poles. While they helped for a while I became
concerned that they might be counterproductive by ultimately reducing
the strength of the supporting musculature so I stopped using them for a
while. I'll use them this winter but that will be for avoiding falls on
icy trails rather than just habitually grabbing them.

Last year I was very sick and lost all muscle tone in both legs, so
starting around the middle of January this year I had to work to regain
my legs back, and it's taken a while to get the muscle tone and strength
back, but I hadn't worked as hard on strengthening my knees. I guess I
thought they were fine, but this little injury was a wake-up call to pay
more attention to them for sure.

Also don't forget circulation issue. Taking L-Glutamine(most common
amino acid in our body) capsules or powder helps muscle recovery from
fatigue.

Is that the same as taking Glucosamine/Condroitin?

If you ask that question, refresh time for biology/chemistry class.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/4/2015 8:42 PM, Don Y wrote:

I think the medical consensus is that damn near EVERYONE should
be taking statins; they claim the benefits are so dramatic that
they far outweigh any downside risks.

OTOH, I've heard folks complain of muscle aches and memory
issues.

Muscle aches for me. I won't take them for the little gain if I can't
walk any more.

shrug

Our approach is to look for "more natural" ways of fixing
problems than to toss more stuff in our mouths.

I eat lunch with a woman at work and every day we have some pistachios.
It seems to help us.

Ever took Ginko Biloba capsules or phytosome one? Made from pistachios
tree leaves. 1 ton leaves will give 1 lb. extract.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 2:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How would that be any different than a bikini?

Well, there isn't much difference, but at the same time why do many
women not want someone peeping in their windows while they're in their
underwear?

I suspect the difference is that they *expect* some privacy in those
settings -- but DON'T when on the beach!

If someone sold swimwear made to LOOK like underwear, would it
be scandalous??

Isn't it different when it's your wife being scandalous?

That's a double-standard. If it's OK for my neighbor's wife to
parade around in her "privates", why would it be any less/more
so for anyone else??

I just don't look(or just ignore) if I don't like some thing.
I am not a neighborhood morale judge. Some people sure like to
expose selves, maybe that is form of disease. I have one private habit.
I always sleep naked. Best way to sleep well for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2015 2:45 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 12/5/2015 2:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How would that be any different than a bikini?

Well, there isn't much difference, but at the same time why do many
women not want someone peeping in their windows while they're in their
underwear?

I suspect the difference is that they *expect* some privacy in those
settings -- but DON'T when on the beach!

If someone sold swimwear made to LOOK like underwear, would it
be scandalous??

Isn't it different when it's your wife being scandalous?

That's a double-standard. If it's OK for my neighbor's wife to
parade around in her "privates", why would it be any less/more
so for anyone else??

I just don't look(or just ignore) if I don't like some thing.

So you would equally like/dislike a person in scanty swimwear
the same as in equally scanty UNDERwear? That's the issue
I don't understand -- what's the difference?

I am not a neighborhood morale judge. Some people sure like to
expose selves, maybe that is form of disease. I have one private habit.
I always sleep naked. Best way to sleep well for me.

I tend to sleep fully clothed -- simply because I "collapse"
when I'm too tired to stay awake! Bed, living room floor,
office chair, etc. Worry about getting undressed and cleaned
up when I "regain consciousness" :