Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

"bob haller" wrote in message
HF ice melters are pretty cheap, buy a second one with spare tank. 20
to 30 bucks

when you run out just swap systems.

keep each one on its own cart for easy moving it around

We're in a very small house. Selling one tank and wand to SWMBO was hard
enough, especially after there were several local news reports about workers
setting houses on fire melting ice dams with very similar looking torches.
If it was a mission critical endeavor, I'd do that but if we run out,
there's always kitty litter. We just don't like it tracking all over the
house and the ice melting torch avoids that. I just don't want to run out
if we have a long run of icy rain like we did last year. Once I get an idea
of how many minutes of "burn time" I get from an average tank, this won't be
so much of an issue. The only types of propane I've used up until recently
have been the Coleman stove size and the Bernz-o-matic torch size. I even
spun the connector clockwise for a quite some time before realizing it was
reverse threaded. Anyone know why?

At least I know one of my friends is getting senile faster than I am. He
insisted I could just mount the huge, round 40LB tank on my back and ditch
the cart. There aren't many 40LB loads *less* suitable for back packing in
the world, especially on an icy porch. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

Bobby, I can sympathize with the wrist problem because every square
inch of me hurts depending on how hard I work but I have to weigh
refrigeration tanks and I found a very handy scale at a Radio Shack
store for around $7.00. It will hold the max weight reading after
I put the tank down so I don't have to watch it while lifting. It's
sold by Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/Weigh-LS-300-P...ge/dp/B001UR5X
CW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1327497964&sr=8-6

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6nz2org

TDD

I'm not at that level of pain, by far (knocking wood), but I did order

that
scale ... Thanks for the hint!!

I might even order one. I didn't realize until AFTER I lifted the cart and
tank for the first time that I wouldn't be able to read the scale without
some equivalent of the "downward facing dog" yoga pose. That's when I
whipped out the old video cam and set it up to record the dial's reading
when I lifted the tank and cart.

Fortunately most lifting extends the wrist bones and the worst they do is
usually rub against each other unless your grip shifts. That's painful, but
nothing like pushing your hand bones *into* your wrist bones, end on end.
That generates the "OMFG!!!!!" type statements.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 11:16*am, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message

years ago i had a gauge that threaded on the tank with a rotary dial.

i couldnt use it anymore when my new grill used a new style
fitting........

the gauge appeared to work pretty well....

why not buy one locally and try it? return it if it doesnt work

I might try that if the "embedded" bathroom scale doesn't work out. *What
concerns me is that there's a significant number of people that say the dial
won't give enough advanced notice of an empty tank.

--
Bobby G.

I'm not sure why anyone would say that you won't have enough advanced
notice when using a scale.

It shouldn't be much more complicated than a "weight per time period"
calculation.

Using rough numbers here...

The Tare weight of a standard gas grill tank is ~20lbs, as marked on
the tank. YMMV

Depending on where you have it filled, they may put anywhere from 15
to 20 lbs of propane in the tank but that doesn't really matter. The
only numbers that matter are the overall weight at any given time and
the Tare weight. The only number that will change is the overall
weight.

As you use the propane the overall weight will go down. If you monitor
your usage over some time period, you should be able to determine how
long it takes, on average, to use 1 lb of propane.

When the scale reads ~21 lbs, you have roughly whatever "time" left
that it takes to use 1 lb, based on average usage.

If 1 lb is too fine of a measure or too short of a time notification,
use 2 lbs or 3 lbs or whatever works for your situation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

use 2 lbs or 3 lbs or whatever works for your situation.- Hide quoted text -

easiest to just have a spare full tank to transfer to when the primary
tank runs out
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:
I used my HF "weed burning" propane wand/torch to melt some ice this
weekend. It did a pretty good job - I had started it up at 11PM but it was
way too loud for evening work so I had to wait until the following day. I
was afraid the bricks and concrete would overheat, but the water changing
state from ice to water to steam kept the overall temperature down and the
brick hardly became warm to the touch.

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

--
Bobby G.

I had a gauge one time. I don't remember if it worked. If it did work, it
would not be in the static mode, propane would have to be delivering
output.

I was trying to see how much propane was in my newly acquired tank. It's
really hard to shake a 60 pound tank with it also connected with tubing. I
got one big tank and two other sizes. I want to get an adaptor so I can
also hook up a backup tank I can get refilled myself.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 2:50*pm, "Jon Danniken"

The ONLY accurate and simple way to know how much propane is in a
tank is to use a scale and weigh it.

I've seen a setup on older BBQs that employed a sprung carriage to hold the
tank. *The carriage has a hinge on one end, and a compression spring on the
other.

When the tank is full, it compresses the spring, and the indicator needle on
the carriage points to the "Full" line. *As the tank gets lighter, the
spring lifts up the indicator needle, and it starts heading up towards the
"Empty" line, letting you know it is emptying.

I'm usually too lazy to bend over and look at the indicator, so I just keep
a one pound bottle of propane handy should I run out of gas in the middle of
a cook. *I can usually avoid that, however, by noting that when the tank is
on it's last legs, the pressure appears to actually increase, giving a much
more aggressive flame pattern.

That's what usually lets me know it's time to go get the tank filled.

Jon

years ago machines I serviced use 1 gallon cans of liquid stored in
the base cabinet of the machine.

Ditto machine can weighing unit.

I REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND why the OP doesnt just keep a spare tank, and
swap it out when needed.......

I mean you gain nothing weighing the tank when its empty doesnt matter
its still empty and must be changed...

just run till empty and change
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 6:08*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:

Ah, a man who understand that dismounting the tank makes the weighing method
less than optimal - although looking at the porch I did find a way to mount
a sturdy eyebolt without it being terribly ugly - that might be the ultimate
solution.

You missed "Lazy". Our trailer has the bottles inside of a plastic
housing. In order to check bottle levels on a daily basis, I would
have to remove the housing which takes a little time. Opening the top
panel and pointing the laser down into the opening is easy.

Lazy.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

How does that answer Bobby G's question, which was...

"How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?"

I always have a spare tank on hand but it has never once told me how
much propane is left in the other tank.

Your suggestion may indeed solve the problem of running out and it is
most assuredly employed by countless propane users. However, it
doesn't answer the question that was asked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

doesn't answer the question that was asked.- Hide quoted text -

either way it doesnt matter. when the tank is empty it must be
changed....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:33:49 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Jan 25, 2:50Â*pm, "Jon Danniken"

The ONLY accurate and simple way to know how much propane is in a
tank is to use a scale and weigh it.

I've seen a setup on older BBQs that employed a sprung carriage to hold the
tank. Â*The carriage has a hinge on one end, and a compression spring on the
other.

When the tank is full, it compresses the spring, and the indicator needle on
the carriage points to the "Full" line. Â*As the tank gets lighter, the
spring lifts up the indicator needle, and it starts heading up towards the
"Empty" line, letting you know it is emptying.

I'm usually too lazy to bend over and look at the indicator, so I just keep
a one pound bottle of propane handy should I run out of gas in the middle of
a cook. Â*I can usually avoid that, however, by noting that when the tank is

_________________________________________________ ______________________________

I REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND why the OP doesnt just keep a spare tank, and
swap it out when needed.......

I mean you gain nothing weighing the tank when its empty doesnt matter
its still empty and must be changed...

just run till empty and change

I THINK he has answered that several times.
Due to age and health he is physically limitted - and he uses this rig
to melt ice from steps. If there is not enough propane to finish the
job he wants to know BEFORE the torch quits, leaving the job half done
and him too worn out or sore to change the tank.

Some days I can personally see his point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 9:25 pm, bob haller wrote:

stuff snipped

Your suggestion may indeed solve the problem of running out and it is
most assuredly employed by countless propane users. However, it
doesn't answer the question that was asked.- Hide quoted text -

either way it doesnt matter. when the tank is empty it must be
changed....

How does that answer Bobby G's question, which was...

"How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?"

I've explained it before. The house is *very* small and storing two 40LB
tanks to handle a problem that sometimes never even occurs during a season
(badly iced up steps) is not practical. Traipsing around on icy ground to
drag a spare out of the (soon to be demolished) shed is not practical.
Katharine Graham, one of the world's richest women (and publisher of the
WaPo) slipped on ice, hit her head and died. Jackassing a 40LB propane tank
over icy sidewalks is something I want to avoid, just in her memory - and I
doubt she was manuevering around a big propane tank when she fell.

The solution I am looking for is HOW can I tell when I should be taking
advantage of non-icy weather to get the tank refilled. Joe's embedded scale
method seems to be as good as it gets in terms of balancing expense with
function and ease of use.

DD, are you a tennis player? You know how to keep your eye on the ball.
(-: It's a skill that seems to be lacking in a lot of people these days,
especially those charged with running the country (on BOTH sides of the
aisle).

I'd keep a smaller tank around if I thought it could adequately power a
device like the HF wand torch. As you know, that sucker puts out a lot of
gas very quickly. I suspect one pound might get me a minute or two of run
time (if that) at a heat level that wouldn't begin to do the job. Last
year, we had two snowstorms and two ice storms come back to back and it
really strained "emergency resources." This year, of course, the
situation's almost reversed. We're having yet another 55F day in the dead
of winter.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 11:16 am, "Robert Green"

stuff snipped

I might try that if the "embedded" bathroom scale doesn't work out. What
concerns me is that there's a significant number of people that say the

dial
won't give enough advanced notice of an empty tank.

--
Bobby G.

I'm not sure why anyone would say that you won't have enough advanced
notice when using a scale.

My error. When I said "dial" I meant the dial type pressure gauges. What I
was trying to say was: "If the scale idea fails, I am back to the dial-type
pressure gauge which a lot of people claim does not give enough advanced
warning of an empty tank." I don't expect the scale method to fail, though.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:55:59 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

[...]

Personally I'd look at 20 lb instead of 40. Or even 30, because they
ARE easier to "horse around" and weigh - and are large enough to
handle the flow - unless the mandated safety flow valves cause a
problem and shut you down. Not required (AFAIK) on 40 lb tanks. Not
sure about 30.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OP poster could run the torch flat out from full tank to empty, and
note the time.

or store a spare tank under a overturned garbage can. i did that years
ago with some spare gasoline

or build a ventilated secure container of some sort close to the house
for easy tank swap.

while OP is concerned about weight of tank, he may not realize the
weighing unit and scale will make moving the unit heavier.......

if OP concrete areas need replaced i would suggest a new whatever with
imbeded PEX line to warm the areas when needed
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

they used to sell these liquid crystal magnetic stickers to put on the side
of the tank,and the temp difference would show you the level of the
propane.

too bad they can't make a tape of the LC stuff and it could be applied to
tanks of different sizes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

I REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND why the OP doesnt just keep a spare tank, and
swap it out when needed.......

I mean you gain nothing weighing the tank when its empty doesnt matter
its still empty and must be changed...

just run till empty and change

I THINK he has answered that several times.
Due to age and health he is physically limitted - and he uses this rig
to melt ice from steps. If there is not enough propane to finish the
job he wants to know BEFORE the torch quits, leaving the job half done
and him too worn out or sore to change the tank.

Some days I can personally see his point.

Bingo. I want to make this as easy on my failing joints as possible. I also
wanted to make sure I spent as little time jockeying the unit around on an
icy porch for obvious reasons. I've known a number of people including my
mom who really fu&ed themselves up falling on the ice. I'd like to avoid
that fate as much as possible. I think with input from everyone here that
I've achieved all of my goals in this matter. Probably the only addition
I'd make to the cart is hanging some golf shoes with cleats on it so that I
can get better traction on the ice.

Thanks to everyone, again!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:55:59 -0500, "Robert Green"

stuff snipped

Personally I'd look at 20 lb instead of 40. Or even 30, because they
ARE easier to "horse around" and weigh - and are large enough to
handle the flow - unless the mandated safety flow valves cause a
problem and shut you down. Not required (AFAIK) on 40 lb tanks. Not
sure about 30.

That's something to consider and might even make Mr. Haller's suggestion
workable because a spare 20 lb tank wouldn't be quite so large. It's
entirely possible that at this point in the year, we won't have any more
freezing rain or sleet rendering everything moot until next year.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
OP poster could run the torch flat out from full tank to empty, and
note the time.

or store a spare tank under a overturned garbage can. i did that years
ago with some spare gasoline

or build a ventilated secure container of some sort close to the house
for easy tank swap.

while OP is concerned about weight of tank, he may not realize the
weighing unit and scale will make moving the unit heavier.......

if OP concrete areas need replaced i would suggest a new whatever with
imbeded PEX line to warm the areas when needed

Next house, for sure. In the meantime, the torch did a very admirable job
of clearing the steps and the porch drain holes. With the unit on a cart,
I am not so concerned with the overall weight, although I do realize it's
greater. I never have to lift it in its current configuration. The hardest
part is pulling it over the small front door step. I can live with that.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote:

stuff snipped

I had a gauge one time. I don't remember if it worked. If it did work, it
would not be in the static mode, propane would have to be delivering
output.

There were enough negative comments about pressure gauges on the Amazon site
to make me seriously worried about whether a gauge would be helpful

I was trying to see how much propane was in my newly acquired tank. It's
really hard to shake a 60 pound tank with it also connected with tubing.

Yep. I had to eliminate some potential solutions because of the "horse
around" factor. Today, in the auto parts store, the 18 year old clerk said
was first. I looked around for a second and then realized she was talking
about me!!!! )-:

I got one big tank and two other sizes. I want to get an adaptor so I can
also hook up a backup tank I can get refilled myself.

That makes sense when you depend on propane for more than clearing
occasional ice from the steps four months of the year. I might get an
adapter to allow me to run my small emergency cook stove from the big tank -
I even think that the fittings that came with the torch will allow me to do
that. I'll have to look.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

I think they do. The next time I visit my sister, I am going to stop by the
huge Suburban propane center that's on the way. If anyone knows, they
should. They've got every size of propane tank up to railroad car-sized.

The problem, IIRC, with the temperature method is that it only works after
you've fired off enough gas to cause a temperature drop in the tank. I
think the scale idea's going to work out just fine, though.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:48:49 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

Who said they can't? Google LCR Hallcrest. They can make it in any
shape/size you want.

Or just get:
http://www.amazon.com/Removable-Accu.../dp/B0010P3OU2.

Magnetic stic-on - you only need to know the bottom half od a large
tank, so the strip for a 20 pounder will work on a 40.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:35:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
. 44...
gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

They work just great if you pour a cupfull of HOT water over them.
The liquid level shows up almost immediately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Jan 26, 4:35 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

4...

gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

Bobby G.- Hide quoted text -

if your home has natural gas you could install a outdoor gas outlet
commonly used for gas grills and get a longer hose for the torch, no
carrying tank at all........

If I were going to install pipe of any kind, I'd run a hot water line under
the steps. At the rate they're deteriorating from salt, that might be
sooner than later.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Attila.Iskander" wrote in message

"Robert Green" wrote in message
"Han" wrote in message
"Attila.Iskander" wrote in news:jfmp4u$lc1$1
@dont-email.me:

Connect them in series

How do you do that without having to go to some kind of connector and a

that'll all work while under pressure? You'll also need a reducing

valve
somewhere before the appliance.

"How do you get your wife to approve that?" is my question. (-" I

don't
doubt it's a brilliant solution where running out of propane is a

serious
problem. For me, running out means going back to kitty litter and other
mitigation techniques. I'd rather avoid that, but I won't starve,

either.

After years of putting up with water-trapping steps and a direct

northern
exposure, it felt damn good to go out there the other day and just melt
all
the packed ice away in 5 minutes. I knew as soon as I saw it on sale at
HF
that I had to have it. As soon as my wife saw it she said: "Don't we
already have a bazooka?"

"That's my potato cannon, dear!"

I don't expect my wife's approval in my areas of expertise or
responsibility.

Nor do I. In this case, your tax dollars paid for the Army to train her as
a range safety officer. She's got much better creds in this area than I do.

WE agree to agree on major changes that have global effect
Such as changing a sink or stove, building an addition, etc.
But the nuts and bolts of daily operation are my bailiwick.
I don't seek her approval,
And if she passes comment, my response usually suggests that she is

welcome
to take over responsibility for the task if she's going to start

"managing"
it.

She's been "den mother" to 100's if not 1000's of boys/men and taught them
how to use a number of lethal weapons safely. She's seen then shoot limbs
off, eyes out, gore themselves, set themselves on fire and electrocute
themselves. I gladly defer to her training and experience with safety
issues. I'm happy with my mastery (of sorts) over plumbing, electrical
work, computers, etc.

To each his (or her) own . . .

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

I had some of those at least 20 years ago. They worked well except at
temperature extremes. They also weren't weather/UV hardened so didn't last
long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 6:08 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:

Ah, a man who understand that dismounting the tank makes the weighing

method
less than optimal - although looking at the porch I did find a way to

mount
a sturdy eyebolt without it being terribly ugly - that might be the

ultimate
solution.

You missed "Lazy". Our trailer has the bottles inside of a plastic
housing. In order to check bottle levels on a daily basis, I would
have to remove the housing which takes a little time. Opening the top
panel and pointing the laser down into the opening is easy.

Lazy is just the lazy way of saying "efficient." (-:

--
Bobby G.

Lazy.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:35:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stuff snipped

The problem, IIRC, with the temperature method is that it only works

after
you've fired off enough gas to cause a temperature drop in the tank. I
think the scale idea's going to work out just fine, though.

They work just great if you pour a cupfull of HOT water over them.
The liquid level shows up almost immediately.

Unfortunately, pouring water on an icy porch (or worse, inside the house!)
counts as "excess horsing around." While I am sure it's great for barbecue
gas tank testing in mid-summer, it's not going to be a helpful method in
this case - melting ice on the front steps. I'm still convinced the
embedded scale is the perfect solution here.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:48:49 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the pointer. I see no harm in getting a strip in addition to the
scale.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 11:46*am, "Robert Green"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:35:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stuff snipped

The problem, IIRC, with the temperature method is that it only works

after
you've fired off enough gas to cause a temperature drop in the tank. *I
think the scale idea's going to work out just fine, though.

*They work just great if you pour a cupfull of HOT water over them.
The liquid level shows up almost immediately.

Unfortunately, pouring water on an icy porch (or worse, inside the house!)
counts as "excess horsing around." *While I am sure it's great for barbecue
gas tank testing in mid-summer, it's not going to be a helpful method in
this case - melting ice on the front steps. *I'm still convinced the
embedded scale is the perfect solution here.

--
Bobby G.

I was on your side for a while, but I gotta disagree with you
here. ;-)

If you've got the device out on the icy porch, it's because you are
about to use it right?

A small additional amount of water in an area that you are about to
torch - and I assume dry up - won't make any difference.

In fact, it will melt the ice before you even put the torch to it,
thereby saving propane. Do the math. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
wrote in message

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:35:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stuff snipped

[...]

Dude, I'm old and grey. Any extra "mission requirements" involve potential
risk. In particular, why should I bother even taking the tank outside to
test it with hot water if I have a way to inspect the rig and determine I'm
out of propane? I'm sure it's a wonderful technique for a porch barbecue
where's you're likely to have water nearby, and I am certainly going to get
one of those LCD strips but I just don't see myself as Bob the Bapist. A
line has to be drawn between the sacred and the propane.

(-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 9:58*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Jan 27, 11:46 am, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:35:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stuff snipped

[...]

umm...Not for nothing, but if you run out of propane while the rig is
inside, you've got a problem - namely a leak.

If you *don't* have a leak and the tank shows empty, then it must have
run out while you were using it and you'd already know it's empty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:

-snip-
Dude, I'm old and grey. Any extra "mission requirements" involve potential
risk. In particular, why should I bother even taking the tank outside to

Uh-- is your range safety officer wife really letting you bring a 40lb
propane tank into the house? Anything over a pound is a no-no as
far as I know.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

]On Jan 27, 9:58 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:

stuff snipped

"In particular, why should I bother even taking the tank outside
to test it with hot water if I have a way to inspect the rig and
determine I'm out of propane?"

umm...Not for nothing, but if you run out of propane while the rig is
inside, you've got a problem - namely a leak.

Well, that's certainly one reason SWMBO doesn't like the idea of storing the
tank inside the house. If the tanks leaks outside on the porch, it's not
likely to cause any trouble. Storing it inside, where the gas can build up,
represents more of a danger. I am thinking now of building a small rolling
table for the porch that allows me to conceal the propane tank and scale
within its base.

If you *don't* have a leak and the tank shows empty, then it must have
run out while you were using it and you'd already know it's empty.

I'm going to get out my electric drill and put a sight glass in the tank.
(-" (Just kidding - I thought I'd mention it just because of some of the
craziness being discussed in other threads.)

I am actually quite happy with the embedded scale method because I want to
make sure I've always got at least enough propane around to melt the steps
so I can get out to more propane. The reality is that I'll probably end up
doing what Mr. Haller suggested and buying a spare tank. We've got a crawl
space under the front stoop that will fit a spare tank. I figure that it's
better to have a spare on premises than risking driving around in icy
weather to acquire a replacement. Last year, when the city plow dumped a
ton or so of icy snow boulders in front of the house, we were "ice locked"
for almost a week.

As reluctant as my wife is to have a number of propane tanks lying around,
she was very impressed at how well it melted the ice the first time we used
it. It's a question of balance. Is the risk of having lots of propane
around more or less than the risk of someone (especially us!) cracking their
heads open on icy steps? I've taken one bad fall on the ice that
fortunately was buffered by landing on my big butt. It could have easily
been the back of my head that hit the ground.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 8:49*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

That one's pretty easy. I don't think we even need a cite for what I'm
about to proclaim.

First off, a couple of 20 lb tanks (and I mean 20 lbs TARE) is not
what most folks would consider "lots of propane".

Second, compare the number of gas grills, smokers, space heaters and
ice melting torches that require small propane tanks, the number of
houses/trailers/workshops that use a large propane tank as the main
source of fuel and the number of people who have a spare tank hanging
around to the number of people who slip on an icy surface. I'd say the
risk is much higher of a fall than any damage from a propane tank.

You just don't hear headlines like "House destroyed by spare propane
tank stored on deck" or "Occupants overcome by propane fumes" very
often. Yes, it happens, but not very often compared to the number of
tanks out there.

However, we often hear about friends and family who slipped and fell
on ice, usually sustaining minor injuries, but sometimes getting
really hurt. Those incidents don't usually make the headlines, but I
think we can all agree that ice related accidents happen more often
than propane related accidents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote:

-snip-
Dude, I'm old and grey. Any extra "mission requirements" involve

potential
risk. In particular, why should I bother even taking the tank outside to

Uh-- is your range safety officer wife really letting you bring a 40lb
propane tank into the house?

She agreed to it for limited R&D but now people like you have gone and done
spoilt it fer me! (-: Interesting how two independent channels coincided.
The tank is outside now. We had originally evaluated it as being no more
dangerous, overall, than the 70 year old black iron gas pipe that runs into
and around the house. Apparently in discussing this with some of her Army
buddies, she heard the same thing, but in the context of "does your
insurance policy *really* allow you to store a 40 lb propane tank in the
house?" I really can't say which is reallymore dangerous but in general,
storing
flammables indoor is highly frowned upon.

In her defense, she hadn't seen my front closet storage arrangement until
just recently. That struck her as lunacy and precipitated the tank's
banishment. I really knew better, too, but my buddy insisted it was safe.
Given that he's far further along on memory loss than I am, I *really*
should have known better.

So, this is an opportunity to make/acquire a set of seasonal rolling carts
for the front porch. Gardening tools for spring and summer, leaf bags and
rakes for the fall, ice scrapers, windshield washer fluid and propane for
the winter.

Anything over a pound is a no-no as far as I know.

I suspect you're right. It's odd no one else noticed it. The plan was to
move it outside as soon as I built a rolling table to conceal it. Now I'll
have to build to measurements - probably a much safer idea. Unless someone
already knows of patio furniture that's built to hide a 40 lb propane tank
(cuts and pastes to Google - not much help. As more and more trash
accumulates on the net, Google seems to be behind in sorting out the
k.) )-:

Anyway, at today's safety review breakfast, three items were agreed upon:

1) Declare the operation is now an outdoors one, 24/7

2) Determine if the unit would work with smaller, 20 lb tanks as less gas =
less overall risk and easier maneuverability. Better to store two 20 lb
tanks in separate locations.

3) Check the insurance policy to make sure that even temorary indoor storage
(i.e. bringing it inside to mount/dismount it from the weighing cart)
doesn't void it.

Thanks for the important sanity check. I assume I'm going to be needing the
more and more. )-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 4:37*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

"Robert Green" wrote:

-snip-
[...]

with two 20 pound tanks on site you dont need the weighing unit.

begin with 2 full tanks, run first one out and swap, get first tank
filled.

this elminates altogther the weighing unit, which adds weight to haul
around.......

this is what the vast majority of people do for gas grills...

store tank outdoors in a secure spot.

when propane leaks its heavier than air, and will act like water.

so make certain theres free air space under the spare tank

you can buy a screw on gauge if you want, it may give you a idea of
how much gas is in the tank, but it really doesnt matter if you have a
spare tank on site
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:37:55 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .
"Robert Green" wrote:

-snip-
[...]

Propane in the house IS more dangerous than natural gas, because
being heavier than air it tends to "pool" in low spots - where you
might not smell the mercapitan.
Natural gas is lighter and mixes with the air, making a leak more
likely to be smelled before there is a combustible concentation
anywhere dangerous.

[...]

Bringing it in to weigh it is not "storage". Storage is leaving it
un-monitored.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I agree. The ice risk is greater than a stray tracer round hitting and
igniting my tank(s). (-: The controlling factor here is a read of my
insurance policy, which is on the list of things to do while the tank cools
its heels outside. I am sure they have entire teams of people devoted to
finding ways not to pay off claims that a jury or abitrator would find
"reasonable." It would burn me *ouch* to have paid premiums for decades
only to have them bounce a claim.

My wife was concerned that some punk would tamper with it, and in the
strangest twist of fate my neighbor's two year old came running up the walk,
onto the porch and straight for the storage unit with the propane tank. I
was watching the CCTV front door cam out of the corner of my eye and I see
this pair of hands coming up the walk. She was running with her hands over
her head but was so short only her hands showed on camera. It was truly a
Twilight Zone moment. It looked like a kamikaze dwarf attack. I guess that
was a warning from the Intelligent Designer to use a LOCKED cabinet.

Next house - heated steps. Maybe we'll even do it here if the real estate
market doesn't recover soon.

--
Bobby G.

Snow on propane tank DS Home Repair 15 December 24th 18 07:54 PM
Weight of propane tank hr(bob) [email protected] Home Repair 12 May 8th 17 01:14 AM
I want my own 100 gallon propane tank. Rico dJour Home Repair 59 October 3rd 11 08:47 PM
propane tank date [email protected] Home Repair 17 July 29th 07 03:38 PM
BBQ Propane Tank Dave Combs Home Repair 8 February 13th 05 12:13 AM