Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

On Jan 25, 11:16*am, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message

years ago i had a gauge that threaded on the tank with a rotary dial.

i couldnt use it anymore when my new grill used a new style
fitting........

the gauge appeared to work pretty well....

why not buy one locally and try it? return it if it doesnt work

I might try that if the "embedded" bathroom scale doesn't work out. *What
concerns me is that there's a significant number of people that say the dial
won't give enough advanced notice of an empty tank.

--
Bobby G.

I'm not sure why anyone would say that you won't have enough advanced
notice when using a scale.

It shouldn't be much more complicated than a "weight per time period"
calculation.

Using rough numbers here...

The Tare weight of a standard gas grill tank is ~20lbs, as marked on
the tank. YMMV

Depending on where you have it filled, they may put anywhere from 15
to 20 lbs of propane in the tank but that doesn't really matter. The
only numbers that matter are the overall weight at any given time and
the Tare weight. The only number that will change is the overall
weight.

As you use the propane the overall weight will go down. If you monitor
your usage over some time period, you should be able to determine how
long it takes, on average, to use 1 lb of propane.

When the scale reads ~21 lbs, you have roughly whatever "time" left
that it takes to use 1 lb, based on average usage.

If 1 lb is too fine of a measure or too short of a time notification,
use 2 lbs or 3 lbs or whatever works for your situation.