Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

On Jan 27, 9:58*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Jan 27, 11:46 am, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:35:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stuff snipped

The problem, IIRC, with the temperature method is that it only works

after
you've fired off enough gas to cause a temperature drop in the tank. I
think the scale idea's going to work out just fine, though.
They work just great if you pour a cupfull of HOT water over them.
The liquid level shows up almost immediately.

Unfortunately, pouring water on an icy porch (or worse, inside the house!)
counts as "excess horsing around." While I am sure it's great for barbecue
gas tank testing in mid-summer, it's not going to be a helpful method in
this case - melting ice on the front steps. I'm still convinced the
embedded scale is the perfect solution here.

--
Bobby G.

I was on your side for a while, but I gotta disagree with you
here. ;-)

If you've got the device out on the icy porch, it's because you are
about to use it right?

A small additional amount of water in an area that you are about to
torch - and I assume dry up - won't make any difference.

In fact, it will melt the ice before you even put the torch to it,
thereby saving propane. Do the math. ;-)

Dude, I'm old and grey. *Any extra "mission requirements" involve potential
risk. *In particular, why should I bother even taking the tank outside to
test it with hot water if I have a way to inspect the rig and determine I'm
out of propane? * I'm sure it's a wonderful technique for a porch barbecue
where's you're likely to have water nearby, and I am certainly going to get
one of those LCD strips but I just don't see myself as Bob the Bapist. *A
line has to be drawn between the sacred and the propane.

(-:

--
Bobby G.

"In particular, why should I bother even taking the tank outside
to test it with hot water if I have a way to inspect the rig and
determine I'm out of propane?"

umm...Not for nothing, but if you run out of propane while the rig is
inside, you've got a problem - namely a leak.

If you *don't* have a leak and the tank shows empty, then it must have
run out while you were using it and you'd already know it's empty.