Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

"Robert Green" wrote:
I used my HF "weed burning" propane wand/torch to melt some ice this
weekend. It did a pretty good job - I had started it up at 11PM but it was
way too loud for evening work so I had to wait until the following day. I
was afraid the bricks and concrete would overheat, but the water changing
state from ice to water to steam kept the overall temperature down and the
brick hardly became warm to the touch.

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

--
Bobby G.

I had a gauge one time. I don't remember if it worked. If it did work, it
would not be in the static mode, propane would have to be delivering
output.

I was trying to see how much propane was in my newly acquired tank. It's
really hard to shake a 60 pound tank with it also connected with tubing. I
got one big tank and two other sizes. I want to get an adaptor so I can
also hook up a backup tank I can get refilled myself.

Greg