Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

On Jan 27, 11:46*am, "Robert Green"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:35:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stuff snipped

The problem, IIRC, with the temperature method is that it only works

after
you've fired off enough gas to cause a temperature drop in the tank. *I
think the scale idea's going to work out just fine, though.

*They work just great if you pour a cupfull of HOT water over them.
The liquid level shows up almost immediately.

Unfortunately, pouring water on an icy porch (or worse, inside the house!)
counts as "excess horsing around." *While I am sure it's great for barbecue
gas tank testing in mid-summer, it's not going to be a helpful method in
this case - melting ice on the front steps. *I'm still convinced the
embedded scale is the perfect solution here.

--
Bobby G.

I was on your side for a while, but I gotta disagree with you
here. ;-)

If you've got the device out on the icy porch, it's because you are
about to use it right?

A small additional amount of water in an area that you are about to
torch - and I assume dry up - won't make any difference.

In fact, it will melt the ice before you even put the torch to it,
thereby saving propane. Do the math. ;-)