Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

"bob haller" wrote in message

stuff snipped

with two 20 pound tanks on site you dont need the weighing unit.'

Good point.

this elminates altogther the weighing unit, which adds weight to haul

around.......

Agreed. You've won me over to the two tank method, particularly if 20lb
tanks give me enough burn time to clear ice at least twice before a refill.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

3) Check the insurance policy to make sure that even temorary indoor

storage
(i.e. bringing it inside to mount/dismount it from the weighing cart)
doesn't void it.

Thanks for the important sanity check. I assume I'm going to be needing

the
more and more. )-:

Bringing it in to weigh it is not "storage". Storage is leaving it
un-monitored.

Well, that's certainly the common sense, logical intepretation of storage.
What an insurer will claim might not be so logical. (-: Worse still, it may
be something buried deep in the insurance contract: "Thou Shalt Not Storeth
Thy Propane in Thy Abode or Thou Mayst Find Thyself Up the Creek of Shi+
With No Paddle."

I'd call them and ask if I didn't think it was a bad idea to kick a sleeping
dog.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 7:45*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
I used my HF "weed burning" propane wand/torch to melt some ice this
weekend. *It did a pretty good job - I had started it up at 11PM but it was
way too loud for evening work so I had to wait until the following day. *I
was afraid the bricks and concrete would overheat, but the water changing
state from ice to water to steam kept the overall temperature down and the
brick hardly became warm to the touch.

What I would like to know is this: *How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? *Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? *Or do I have to weigh it each
time I use it? *I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

--
Bobby G.

Poor a little warm water down the side of the tank long enough for it
to warm the area then use your hand to determine where the temperature
changes from warm to cool and you will know the approximate level of
the fluid inside within a 1/4 inch. I have used this method for a
long time with good success.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 2:15*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"chaniarts" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Some people writing Amazon reviews seem to agree with that. *That's why

asked here. *I don't know if there's something different between the

users
reporting "works great" and "not worth spit." I assume there has to be

some
pressure change but it might not be enough to detect with

consumer-priced
products. *I'll do some more research later unless I just decide to

weigh
the sucker and be done with it. *I'd rather have some sort of gauge but

not
if it's not reliable.

i don't believe you get a pressure change until just before running out
(when there's no more liquid), and by that time, it's too late.

That brings up a different question. *How come there are so many people on
the Amazon review site that say the things work? *I figure one quarter of
the reviewers are shills, another quarter outright idiots but that still
leaves some intelligent reviewers. *It looks like weight is the only
reliable, temperature independent way of measuring remaining gas.

--
Bobby G.- Hide quoted text -

I tried the gauges years ago and they didn't work worth spit. Ran out
of gas more times than I care to admit when the guage still said I had
reserve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 5:16*am, mike wrote:
On 1/25/2012 12:15 AM, Robert Green wrote:

*wrote in message

[...]

Not so. *I had an RV with a propane tank with a float gauge just like
an auto gas gauge.

The float guage would be accurate since it uses the fluid level inside
the tank to determine the level. Most of the guages being discussed
are not float type guages and can only measure pressure of the gas.
Your guage must be included into the construction of the container and
that is not the case with portable containers.

reliable, temperature independent way of measuring remaining gas.

--
Bobby G.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I tried the gauges years ago and they didn't work worth spit. Ran out
of gas more times than I care to admit when the guage still said I had
reserve.

Once I started reading a number of 1 star reviews on Amazon that said what
you're saying, I decided I had better ask people I know what the "deal" was
with gauges. As Steinbeck would say, "They're not worth the greased jack
pin to ram them into hell."

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 7:45 am, "Robert Green" wrote:

stuff snipped

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it

each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Poor a little warm water down the side of the tank long enough for it
to warm the area then use your hand to determine where the temperature
changes from warm to cool and you will know the approximate level of
the fluid inside within a 1/4 inch. I have used this method for a
long time with good success.

I've ordered the liquid crystal magnetic thermometer just because this is a
winter application and I don't want to be taking my gloves off or splashing
water around if I can avoid it. Your technique sounds ideal for the normal
use for propane - summer barbecues. Who knows, with all this propane
around, I might end up getting a propane gas grill.

thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

=*Your technique sounds ideal for the normal
use for propane - summer barbecues. *Who knows, with all this propane
around, I might end up getting a propane gas grill.

i grill year round, occasionally have to bring the tank indoors and
put in hot water to get it working.

yum steaks in zero degree,,,,,,,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:41:24 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

No problem "working with" the tank in the house - but no "storage". -
for the reasons I stated before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green posted for all of us...

I know how to snip articles...

Dude, I'm old and grey. Any extra "mission requirements" involve potential
risk. In particular, why should I bother even taking the tank outside to
test it with hot water if I have a way to inspect the rig and determine I'm
out of propane? I'm sure it's a wonderful technique for a porch barbecue
where's you're likely to have water nearby, and I am certainly going to get
one of those LCD strips but I just don't see myself as Bob the Bapist. A
line has to be drawn between the sacred and the propane.

Why do you have a propane tank INSIDE a structure? KABOOM?

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
m:

Robert Green posted for all of us...

I know how to snip articles...

Dude, I'm old and grey. Any extra "mission requirements" involve
potential risk. In particular, why should I bother even taking the
tank outside to test it with hot water if I have a way to inspect the
rig and determine I'm out of propane? I'm sure it's a wonderful
technique for a porch barbecue where's you're likely to have water
nearby, and I am certainly going to get one of those LCD strips but I
just don't see myself as Bob the Bapist. A line has to be drawn
between the sacred and the propane.

Why do you have a propane tank INSIDE a structure? KABOOM?

probably illegal,too. it will VOID your home insurance.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...
Robert Green posted for all of us...

Why do you have a propane tank INSIDE a structure? KABOOM?

You're a little late to the party - the tank moved outside weeks ago.
Here's someone who learned the hard way:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...wwface_WEB.jpg

Eeew.

--
Bobby G.

Snow on propane tank DS Home Repair 15 December 24th 18 07:54 PM
Weight of propane tank hr(bob) [email protected] Home Repair 12 May 8th 17 01:14 AM
I want my own 100 gallon propane tank. Rico dJour Home Repair 59 October 3rd 11 08:47 PM
propane tank date [email protected] Home Repair 17 July 29th 07 03:38 PM
BBQ Propane Tank Dave Combs Home Repair 8 February 13th 05 12:13 AM