Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

"BobR" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 7:45 am, "Robert Green" wrote:

stuff snipped

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it

each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Poor a little warm water down the side of the tank long enough for it
to warm the area then use your hand to determine where the temperature
changes from warm to cool and you will know the approximate level of
the fluid inside within a 1/4 inch. I have used this method for a
long time with good success.

I've ordered the liquid crystal magnetic thermometer just because this is a
winter application and I don't want to be taking my gloves off or splashing
water around if I can avoid it. Your technique sounds ideal for the normal
use for propane - summer barbecues. Who knows, with all this propane
around, I might end up getting a propane gas grill.

thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.