Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

I used my HF "weed burning" propane wand/torch to melt some ice this
weekend. It did a pretty good job - I had started it up at 11PM but it was
way too loud for evening work so I had to wait until the following day. I
was afraid the bricks and concrete would overheat, but the water changing
state from ice to water to steam kept the overall temperature down and the
brick hardly became warm to the touch.

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

I got a gauge for the tank for my grill at Lowes. I have seen them at
HD, Ace, etc. It might be hard to find given the time of the year. They
also have strips you can put on the side of the tank that lets you how
far up the gas is because it changes color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2012 9:10 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In ,
"Robert wrote:

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

I got a gauge for the tank for my grill at Lowes. I have seen them at
HD, Ace, etc. It might be hard to find given the time of the year. They
also have strips you can put on the side of the tank that lets you how
far up the gas is because it changes color.

When I lived for 6 months in my motor home, I had to get a
barbeque-style propane tank as the one in the motor home is not
removable and most propane delivery companies won't make a delivery for
that small tank. So, about every 2 weeks I would switch back to the
non-removable tank, still more than 1/2 full, and take the portable tank
to be filled. I had a cheapo hanging scale, where I could weigh the
tank and see how much propane was left. So, if you know the empty
weight, you can pretty much tell how much is left. I think they put
about 18 - 20 pounds in those tanks. Of course, the meters work too,
but I just happened to have the scale in my tool box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert wrote:

[...]

Trick you can do is mount the removable tank upside down above the fixed
tank
Connect them in series so that the flow is removable tank - fixed tank -
appliance.
Over the following days, the liquid propane in the removable tank will
migrate to the fixed tank.
Particularly with the change in temperature from daytime to night time.
As the propane warms and cools, the liquid propane will migrate to the lower
tank.
This works even better if one of the two tanks, preferably the removable one
is exposed to sunlight.
Also by drawing gaseous propane from the lower tank, you will also cause
liquid propane to be squeezed down into the lower tank.
When the upper tank is near empty, you shut off the lower tank to use the
upper one till it's completely empty. Then you just take the empty one and
replace it with a full one.

This will keep the fixed tank nearly full and not cost you that much more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Attila.Iskander" wrote in news:jfmp4u$lc1$1
@dont-email.me:

Connect them in series

How do you do that without having to go to some kind of connector and a T
that'll all work while under pressure? You'll also need a reducing valve
somewhere before the appliance.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
"Attila.Iskander" wrote in news:jfmp4u$lc1$1
@dont-email.me:

Connect them in series

How do you do that without having to go to some kind of connector and a T
that'll all work while under pressure?

Simple physics and gravity.
If the pressure is equalized, a liquid will remain a liquid as it
goes down the pipe, and it will displace the gas and pool at the lowest
point.
The permanent tank provides that deep pool

You'll also need a reducing valve
somewhere before the appliance.

Typically the reducing valve is near the appliance, not the tank
And it's an easy fix, if it's not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
"Attila.Iskander" wrote in news:jfmp4u$lc1$1
@dont-email.me:

Connect them in series

How do you do that without having to go to some kind of connector and a T
that'll all work while under pressure? You'll also need a reducing valve
somewhere before the appliance.

"How do you get your wife to approve that?" is my question. (-" I don't
doubt it's a brilliant solution where running out of propane is a serious
problem. For me, running out means going back to kitty litter and other
mitigation techniques. I'd rather avoid that, but I won't starve, either.

After years of putting up with water-trapping steps and a direct northern
exposure, it felt damn good to go out there the other day and just melt all
the packed ice away in 5 minutes. I knew as soon as I saw it on sale at HF
that I had to have it. As soon as my wife saw it she said: "Don't we
already have a bazooka?"

"That's my potato cannon, dear!"

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Attila.Iskander" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Trick you can do is mount the removable tank upside down above the fixed
tank
Connect them in series so that the flow is removable tank - fixed tank -
appliance.

That sounds like an interesting hookup but it's not quite suitable to the
situation at hand. I had to lobby pretty hard to store one large propane
tank on premises. Two hooked together would drive my former range safety
officer wife over the line.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message
"Attila.Iskander" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Trick you can do is mount the removable tank upside down above the fixed
tank
Connect them in series so that the flow is removable tank - fixed
tank -
appliance.

That sounds like an interesting hookup but it's not quite suitable to the
situation at hand. I had to lobby pretty hard to store one large propane
tank on premises. Two hooked together would drive my former range safety
officer wife over the line.

Why ?
It's not like they're cars in a Hollywood movie, that will blow up if you
look at them crooked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

stuff snipped

When I lived for 6 months in my motor home, I had to get a
barbeque-style propane tank as the one in the motor home is not
removable and most propane delivery companies won't make a delivery for
that small tank. So, about every 2 weeks I would switch back to the
non-removable tank, still more than 1/2 full, and take the portable tank
to be filled. I had a cheapo hanging scale, where I could weigh the
tank and see how much propane was left. So, if you know the empty
weight, you can pretty much tell how much is left. I think they put
about 18 - 20 pounds in those tanks. Of course, the meters work too,
but I just happened to have the scale in my tool box.

I've got a 0-50LB hanging scale but pretty torn up wrists. The unit's
mounted on a luggage cart with bungie cords and it's even heavier that way.
Of course, I forgot to weigh the unit *before* I used it. )-: Now, at
least I have a reference weight after one use.

I'm going to have to read more about the meters. Too many people found
themselves out of propane at a bad time, even with the meters. They must
have some limitation that I am not yet aware of. Could easily be a
manufacturing/QC problem.

Thanks for your input, Art.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2012 6:10 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In ,
"Robert wrote:

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

I got a gauge for the tank for my grill at Lowes.

How do those gauges work?
I thought the pressure in a propane tank was a function of temperature
and pretty much independent of how much is in there...as long as there's
some liquid left.

I have seen them at
HD, Ace, etc. It might be hard to find given the time of the year. They
also have strips you can put on the side of the tank that lets you how
far up the gas is because it changes color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert wrote:

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane

I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the

tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it

each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer,

but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

I got a gauge for the tank for my grill at Lowes.

How do those gauges work?
I thought the pressure in a propane tank was a function of temperature
and pretty much independent of how much is in there...as long as there's
some liquid left.

Some people writing Amazon reviews seem to agree with that. That's why I
asked here. I don't know if there's something different between the users
reporting "works great" and "not worth spit." I assume there has to be some
pressure change but it might not be enough to detect with consumer-priced
products. I'll do some more research later unless I just decide to weigh
the sucker and be done with it. I'd rather have some sort of gauge but not
if it's not reliable.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert wrote:

[...]

i don't believe you get a pressure change until just before running out
(when there's no more liquid), and by that time, it's too late.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Some people writing Amazon reviews seem to agree with that. That's why

asked here. I don't know if there's something different between the

users
reporting "works great" and "not worth spit." I assume there has to be

some
pressure change but it might not be enough to detect with

consumer-priced
products. I'll do some more research later unless I just decide to

weigh
the sucker and be done with it. I'd rather have some sort of gauge but

not
if it's not reliable.

i don't believe you get a pressure change until just before running out
(when there's no more liquid), and by that time, it's too late.

That brings up a different question. How come there are so many people on
the Amazon review site that say the things work? I figure one quarter of
the reviewers are shills, another quarter outright idiots but that still
leaves some intelligent reviewers. It looks like weight is the only
reliable, temperature independent way of measuring remaining gas.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the

tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it

each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer,

but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

I got a gauge for the tank for my grill at Lowes. I have seen them at
HD, Ace, etc. It might be hard to find given the time of the year. They
also have strips you can put on the side of the tank that lets you how
far up the gas is because it changes color.

I've found a couple of such gauges online. What worried me is that more
than a few negative reviews said "not good for anything" which leads me to
believe there might be some issues with its reliability. It seems to me
that at a constant temperature, less propane means a lower a pressure. How
reliable that indication is seems to be an issue for some buyers, at least.

I've seen the tank strips, too, but IIRC you have to run the unit for a
while to see the temperature differential. I made a high quality audio
recording of the "ding" of my small tack hammer. I'll make another
recording after the next prolonged melting session. I'm betting there's a
pretty accurate correlation between the resonant frequency of the tank and
the remaining amount of liquid. I remember my Dad gauging the amount of
fuel oil left in the tank that way "Navy-style" as he would say.

It's looking more and more like weight is the only reliable indicator, but
that's hard on arthritic wrists and would require a hook to hang the spring
scale from - the tank's already bungied onto a surplus metal luggage cart
and they both weigh 42lbs at the moment. I lifted it by hand to get that
reading, but it's not something I want to do over and over again.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 7:45*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

We do a lot of RV camping and here are two suggestion that can be used
without dismounting the tank:

1) Pour some very warm water down one side of the bottle. then feel
the bottle. The part that still contains propane will be noticeably
cooler than the empty area.

2) Higher tech version of the above - I bought one of the cheaper
laser touch-less thermometers from Harbor Freight. They sell them in
the $15 to $60 range. I opted for one of their mid range pistol type
that was around $25. Otherwise it is the same procedure as above
except, if the bottle is not in direct sun you might not even need hot
water. In very cool weather you will need to use the water.

Besides that, when you get the laser thermometer you will play with it
for days. And no, for $25 you are not buying laboratory grade
instrumentation. Those go up way up in price. Just use it to gage
differential temp.

Ron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, a man who understand that dismounting the tank makes the weighing method
less than optimal - although looking at the porch I did find a way to mount
a sturdy eyebolt without it being terribly ugly - that might be the ultimate
solution.

1) Pour some very warm water down one side of the bottle. then feel
the bottle. The part that still contains propane will be noticeably
cooler than the empty area.

Brilliant. The empty section will dissipate heat far more quickly than the
propane submerged part. The only problem I see is adding anymore water to
an already frozen-over porch. I might be able to achieve a similar result
in reverse by hitting the outside of the tank with a can of Dust-off sprayed
upside down. I am sure the tank will get colder where it's empty for the
same reasons warm water works.

Of course, I could just hit the side of the tank with a blast from the torch
nozzle if I wanted to live *very* dangerously. (-:

2) Higher tech version of the above - I bought one of the cheaper
laser touch-less thermometers from Harbor Freight. They sell them in
the $15 to $60 range. I opted for one of their mid range pistol type
that was around $25. Otherwise it is the same procedure as above
except, if the bottle is not in direct sun you might not even need hot
water. In very cool weather you will need to use the water.

Already have two of the suckers. One by the microwave to insure safe
cooking temps and the other on the toolbench. I'll see now if I can see any
difference.

Besides that, when you get the laser thermometer you will play with it for
days. And no, for $25 you are not buying laboratory grade instrumentation.
Those go up way up in price. Just use it to gage differential temp.

They're very useful for finding air leaks. I know there are "issues" with
all IR thermometers, cheap and expensive. I am sure my dogs big spots
aren't really that much cooler than the rest of her. It's an artifact of IR
reflection from different colored surfaces. (-: (They are brown spots that
appear jet black under IR light.)

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 6:08*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:

Ah, a man who understand that dismounting the tank makes the weighing method
less than optimal - although looking at the porch I did find a way to mount
a sturdy eyebolt without it being terribly ugly - that might be the ultimate
solution.

You missed "Lazy". Our trailer has the bottles inside of a plastic
housing. In order to check bottle levels on a daily basis, I would
have to remove the housing which takes a little time. Opening the top
panel and pointing the laser down into the opening is easy.

Lazy.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 6:08 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:

Ah, a man who understand that dismounting the tank makes the weighing

method
less than optimal - although looking at the porch I did find a way to

mount
a sturdy eyebolt without it being terribly ugly - that might be the

ultimate
solution.

You missed "Lazy". Our trailer has the bottles inside of a plastic
housing. In order to check bottle levels on a daily basis, I would
have to remove the housing which takes a little time. Opening the top
panel and pointing the laser down into the opening is easy.

Lazy is just the lazy way of saying "efficient." (-:

--
Bobby G.

Lazy.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2012 7:45 AM, Robert Green wrote:
I used my HF "weed burning" propane wand/torch to melt some ice this
weekend. It did a pretty good job - I had started it up at 11PM but it was
way too loud for evening work so I had to wait until the following day. I
was afraid the bricks and concrete would overheat, but the water changing
state from ice to water to steam kept the overall temperature down and the
brick hardly became warm to the touch.

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

--
Bobby G.

the best way is to weigh it. There will be a "TR" number on the bottle.
This is your 'tare' weight. That is the weight of your empty bottle.
Just weigh yourself, then pick up the bottle and see the difference.
Then from that number subtract your tare weight. The difference will be
the pounds of propane in the jug.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2012 9:03 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

correction: The "TR" should read "TW". Tare Weight.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2012 10:03 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

I agree. A pressure gauge would not give a good answer until it was
near empty. The dew line on these tanks are hard to determine and tank
has to be in use for temperature differential to exist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 1/24/2012 10:03 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

stuff snipped

the best way is to weigh it. There will be a "TR" number on the bottle.
This is your 'tare' weight. That is the weight of your empty bottle.
Just weigh yourself, then pick up the bottle and see the difference.
Then from that number subtract your tare weight. The difference will be
the pounds of propane in the jug.

I agree. A pressure gauge would not give a good answer until it was
near empty. The dew line on these tanks are hard to determine and tank
has to be in use for temperature differential to exist.

I'm looking for magical solutions to avoid having to jackass the tank/cart
onto the scale every time I use it. Sadly, it looks like that's the most
reliable way to do things, at least as far as my arthritic wrists are
concerned.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2012 6:12 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

plum full it's 38 pounds. Take the damn bathroom scale to where the
tank is for crimimy's sake! You only have to lift it for about 4 seconds.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 1/24/2012 6:12 PM, Robert Green wrote:

plum full it's 38 pounds. Take the damn bathroom scale to where the
tank is for crimimy's sake! You only have to lift it for about 4 seconds.

Two problems: One is that the tank's now quite securely fastened to a small
luggage cart that won't easily sit on the bathroom scale unless I make up
some sort of platform for it - which I may yet do. That's because even 4
seconds of bone-on-bone contact in the wrist seems to be something a few
RCH's short of a crucifiction nail. All it takes is a load shift in the
wrong direction to do it. As my MD says, you're now at the age/condition
where you can't lift anything larger than your head.

With a little forethough I should be able to design an "interface" to the
bathroom scale that allows me to use the collapsible handle on the cart as a
lever to angle it onto the scale. The block needs to be high enough to
prevent any part of the tank and cart from touching the ground. If that
doesn't work, I've mounted a heavy duty screw-eye to the porch overhang
where I can pull a rope attached to the scale through and "hoist" the tank
and cart up for a weigh-in. Then, I can build a little hangman's scaffold,
roll the tank and cart up over a trap door and then kick it loose to do the
weigh-in. Well, just kidding, but it does look like I'm going to end up
with a weight solution.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yep, I am afraid that may, as they said in Aliens, be "the only way to be
sure." I'd sure rather have an accurate gauge in the $20-25 range. (-: I
still have some hope left in the frequency analysis of a hammer tap on the
tank, which turn out to be pretty easy for me to do with all the digital
recorders I have lying around.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Be careful with that torch.

The first day I bought mine I used it to burn some weeds in my
backyard. A few days later my wife asked me if I had dumped something
into her garden.

I asked her why and she told me to go look at some of the plants with
big broad leaves near the edge of her garden. They were white and
wrinkled like they were dying.

At first I didn't know what had happened to them then I remembered
that I was burning weeds with the torch right next to that section of
her garden. The heat blast must have cooked the leaves and it wasn't
noticible for a few days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

why worry about how much remains in the tank? its easiest to buy a
spare tank or two so you always have a full tank in stock ready to
go........

tanks are amazingly easy to find, empty ones are everywhere.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
why worry about how much remains in the tank? its easiest to buy a
spare tank or two so you always have a full tank in stock ready to
go........

tanks are amazingly easy to find, empty ones are everywhere.....

True
All my spare tanks were left out on the road attached to old BBQs.
I even picked up a couple of nice old BBQs, cleaned them up donated them for
a nice donation receipt from the Salvation Army.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I used my HF "weed burning" propane wand/torch to melt some ice this
weekend. It did a pretty good job - I had started it up at 11PM but it was
way too loud for evening work so I had to wait until the following day. I
was afraid the bricks and concrete would overheat, but the water changing
state from ice to water to steam kept the overall temperature down and the
brick hardly became warm to the touch.

stuff snipped

Be careful with that torch. The first day I bought mine I used it to
burn some weeds in my backyard. A few days later my wife asked me if I had
dumped something into her garden.

My wife's attuned to the rocket engine exhaust sound of the burner. She's
already "caught" my friend and I making mischief with it. I won't be
burning weeds with it because the heat envelope it creates is impressive.
While working the stairs I hit exactly the right angle to hit me with the
blowback. It was very, very warm.

I asked her why and she told me to go look at some of the plants with big
broad leaves near the edge of her garden. They were white and wrinkled like
they were dying.

Probably why flamethrowers aren't used in close-in fighting much anymore.
Hard to be precise.

At first I didn't know what had happened to them then I remembered
that I was burning weeds with the torch right next to that section of
her garden. The heat blast must have cooked the leaves and it wasn't
noticible for a few days.

The worst thing I did was come close to melting a plastic flowerpot sitting
on the porch. Well, the worst thing I did was torquing the burner up just
before midnight on a very quiet, snow-blanketed night. If you think it's
loud in the daytime, try it at night.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HF ice melters are pretty cheap, buy a second one with spare tank. 20
to 30 bucks

when you run out just swap systems.

keep each one on its own cart for easy moving it around
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
HF ice melters are pretty cheap, buy a second one with spare tank. 20
to 30 bucks

when you run out just swap systems.

keep each one on its own cart for easy moving it around

We're in a very small house. Selling one tank and wand to SWMBO was hard
enough, especially after there were several local news reports about workers
setting houses on fire melting ice dams with very similar looking torches.
If it was a mission critical endeavor, I'd do that but if we run out,
there's always kitty litter. We just don't like it tracking all over the
house and the ice melting torch avoids that. I just don't want to run out
if we have a long run of icy rain like we did last year. Once I get an idea
of how many minutes of "burn time" I get from an average tank, this won't be
so much of an issue. The only types of propane I've used up until recently
have been the Coleman stove size and the Bernz-o-matic torch size. I even
spun the connector clockwise for a quite some time before realizing it was
reverse threaded. Anyone know why?

At least I know one of my friends is getting senile faster than I am. He
insisted I could just mount the huge, round 40LB tank on my back and ditch
the cart. There aren't many 40LB loads *less* suitable for back packing in
the world, especially on an icy porch. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:
I used my HF "weed burning" propane wand/torch to melt some ice this
weekend. It did a pretty good job - I had started it up at 11PM but it was
way too loud for evening work so I had to wait until the following day. I
was afraid the bricks and concrete would overheat, but the water changing
state from ice to water to steam kept the overall temperature down and the
brick hardly became warm to the touch.

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane I've
used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach to the tank
that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I have to weigh it each
time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the tank with a small hammer, but I
expect it would take a bit of experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

--
Bobby G.

I had a gauge one time. I don't remember if it worked. If it did work, it
would not be in the static mode, propane would have to be delivering
output.

I was trying to see how much propane was in my newly acquired tank. It's
really hard to shake a 60 pound tank with it also connected with tubing. I
got one big tank and two other sizes. I want to get an adaptor so I can
also hook up a backup tank I can get refilled myself.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

they used to sell these liquid crystal magnetic stickers to put on the side
of the tank,and the temp difference would show you the level of the
propane.

too bad they can't make a tape of the LC stuff and it could be applied to
tanks of different sizes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

I think they do. The next time I visit my sister, I am going to stop by the
huge Suburban propane center that's on the way. If anyone knows, they
should. They've got every size of propane tank up to railroad car-sized.

The problem, IIRC, with the temperature method is that it only works after
you've fired off enough gas to cause a temperature drop in the tank. I
think the scale idea's going to work out just fine, though.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:35:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
. 44...
gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

They work just great if you pour a cupfull of HOT water over them.
The liquid level shows up almost immediately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:35:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stuff snipped

The problem, IIRC, with the temperature method is that it only works

after
you've fired off enough gas to cause a temperature drop in the tank. I
think the scale idea's going to work out just fine, though.

They work just great if you pour a cupfull of HOT water over them.
The liquid level shows up almost immediately.

Unfortunately, pouring water on an icy porch (or worse, inside the house!)
counts as "excess horsing around." While I am sure it's great for barbecue
gas tank testing in mid-summer, it's not going to be a helpful method in
this case - melting ice on the front steps. I'm still convinced the
embedded scale is the perfect solution here.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:48:49 -0600, Jim Yanik wrote:

gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

I had some of those at least 20 years ago. They worked well except at
temperature extremes. They also weren't weather/UV hardened so didn't last
long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:48:49 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

Who said they can't? Google LCR Hallcrest. They can make it in any
shape/size you want.

Or just get:
http://www.amazon.com/Removable-Accu.../dp/B0010P3OU2.

Magnetic stic-on - you only need to know the bottom half od a large
tank, so the strip for a 20 pounder will work on a 40.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:48:49 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the pointer. I see no harm in getting a strip in addition to the
scale.

--
Bobby G.

Snow on propane tank DS Home Repair 15 December 24th 18 07:54 PM
Weight of propane tank hr(bob) [email protected] Home Repair 12 May 8th 17 01:14 AM
I want my own 100 gallon propane tank. Rico dJour Home Repair 59 October 3rd 11 08:47 PM
propane tank date [email protected] Home Repair 17 July 29th 07 03:38 PM
BBQ Propane Tank Dave Combs Home Repair 8 February 13th 05 12:13 AM