Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

On Jan 28, 4:37*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

"Robert Green" wrote:

-snip-
Dude, I'm old and grey. *Any extra "mission requirements" involve

potential
risk. *In particular, why should I bother even taking the tank outside to

Uh-- is your range safety officer wife really letting you bring a 40lb
propane tank into the house?

She agreed to it for limited R&D but now people like you have gone and done
spoilt it fer me! *(-: *Interesting how two independent channels coincided.
The tank is outside now. *We had originally evaluated it as being no more
dangerous, overall, than the 70 year old black iron gas pipe that runs into
and around the house. Apparently in discussing this with some of her Army
buddies, she heard the same thing, but in the context of "does your
insurance policy *really* allow you to store a 40 lb propane tank in the
house?" *I really can't say which is reallymore dangerous but in general,
storing
flammables indoor is highly frowned upon.

In her defense, she hadn't seen my front closet storage arrangement until
just recently. *That struck her as lunacy and precipitated the tank's
banishment. *I really knew better, too, but my buddy insisted it was safe.
Given that he's far further along on memory loss than I am, I *really*
should have known better.

So, this is an opportunity to make/acquire a set of seasonal rolling carts
for the front porch. *Gardening tools for spring and summer, leaf bags and
rakes for the fall, ice scrapers, windshield washer fluid and propane for
the winter.

Anything over a pound is a no-no as far as I know.

I suspect you're right. *It's odd no one else noticed it. *The plan was to
move it outside as soon as I built a rolling table to conceal it. Now I'll
have to build to measurements - probably a much safer idea. *Unless someone
already knows of patio furniture that's built to hide a 40 lb propane tank
(cuts and pastes to Google - not much help. *As more and more trash
accumulates on the net, Google seems to be behind in sorting out the
k.) * *)-:

Anyway, at today's safety review breakfast, three items were agreed upon:

1) Declare the operation is now an outdoors one, 24/7

2) Determine if the unit would work with smaller, 20 lb tanks as less gas =
less overall risk and easier maneuverability. *Better to store two 20 lb
tanks in separate locations.

3) Check the insurance policy to make sure that even temorary indoor storage
(i.e. bringing it inside to mount/dismount it from the weighing cart)
doesn't void it.

Thanks for the important sanity check. *I assume I'm going to be needing the
more and more. *)-:

--
Bobby G.

with two 20 pound tanks on site you dont need the weighing unit.

begin with 2 full tanks, run first one out and swap, get first tank
filled.

this elminates altogther the weighing unit, which adds weight to haul
around.......

this is what the vast majority of people do for gas grills...

store tank outdoors in a secure spot.

when propane leaks its heavier than air, and will act like water.

so make certain theres free air space under the spare tank

you can buy a screw on gauge if you want, it may give you a idea of
how much gas is in the tank, but it really doesnt matter if you have a
spare tank on site