Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
gregz wrote in

g:

"Robert Green" wrote:
I used my HF "weed burning" propane wand/torch to melt some ice this
weekend. It did a pretty good job - I had started it up at 11PM but
it was way too loud for evening work so I had to wait until the
following day. I was afraid the bricks and concrete would overheat,
but the water changing state from ice to water to steam kept the
overall temperature down and the brick hardly became warm to the
touch.

What I would like to know is this: How can I tell how much propane
I've used and how much is left? Are there dial gauges I can attach
to the tank that can indicate remaining number of pounds? Or do I
have to weigh it each time I use it? I've "rung" the side of the
tank with a small hammer, but I expect it would take a bit of
experience to tell that way.

Any tricks or tips?

--
Bobby G.

I had a gauge one time. I don't remember if it worked. If it did work,
it would not be in the static mode, propane would have to be
delivering output.

I was trying to see how much propane was in my newly acquired tank.
It's really hard to shake a 60 pound tank with it also connected with
tubing. I got one big tank and two other sizes. I want to get an
adaptor so I can also hook up a backup tank I can get refilled myself.

Greg

they used to sell these liquid crystal magnetic stickers to put on the

side
of the tank,and the temp difference would show you the level of the
propane.

too bad they can't make a tape of the LC stuff and it could be applied to
tanks of different sizes.

I think they do. The next time I visit my sister, I am going to stop by the
huge Suburban propane center that's on the way. If anyone knows, they
should. They've got every size of propane tank up to railroad car-sized.

The problem, IIRC, with the temperature method is that it only works after
you've fired off enough gas to cause a temperature drop in the tank. I
think the scale idea's going to work out just fine, though.

--
Bobby G.