Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 9:25 pm, bob haller wrote:

stuff snipped

Your suggestion may indeed solve the problem of running out and it is
most assuredly employed by countless propane users. However, it
doesn't answer the question that was asked.- Hide quoted text -

either way it doesnt matter. when the tank is empty it must be
changed....

How does that answer Bobby G's question, which was...

"How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?"

I've explained it before. The house is *very* small and storing two 40LB
tanks to handle a problem that sometimes never even occurs during a season
(badly iced up steps) is not practical. Traipsing around on icy ground to
drag a spare out of the (soon to be demolished) shed is not practical.
Katharine Graham, one of the world's richest women (and publisher of the
WaPo) slipped on ice, hit her head and died. Jackassing a 40LB propane tank
over icy sidewalks is something I want to avoid, just in her memory - and I
doubt she was manuevering around a big propane tank when she fell.

The solution I am looking for is HOW can I tell when I should be taking
advantage of non-icy weather to get the tank refilled. Joe's embedded scale
method seems to be as good as it gets in terms of balancing expense with
function and ease of use.

DD, are you a tennis player? You know how to keep your eye on the ball.
(-: It's a skill that seems to be lacking in a lot of people these days,
especially those charged with running the country (on BOTH sides of the
aisle).

I'd keep a smaller tank around if I thought it could adequately power a
device like the HF wand torch. As you know, that sucker puts out a lot of
gas very quickly. I suspect one pound might get me a minute or two of run
time (if that) at a heat level that wouldn't begin to do the job. Last
year, we had two snowstorms and two ice storms come back to back and it
really strained "emergency resources." This year, of course, the
situation's almost reversed. We're having yet another 55F day in the dead
of winter.

--
Bobby G.