Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:35:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stuff snipped

The problem, IIRC, with the temperature method is that it only works

after
you've fired off enough gas to cause a temperature drop in the tank. I
think the scale idea's going to work out just fine, though.

They work just great if you pour a cupfull of HOT water over them.
The liquid level shows up almost immediately.

Unfortunately, pouring water on an icy porch (or worse, inside the house!)
counts as "excess horsing around." While I am sure it's great for barbecue
gas tank testing in mid-summer, it's not going to be a helpful method in
this case - melting ice on the front steps. I'm still convinced the
embedded scale is the perfect solution here.

--
Bobby G.