Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT Is it an hour later yet?

Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this
weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my
clocks.

I checked the tzedit setting and it said it was to change the second
weekend in March, like I set it months ago.

So I ran Atomic Clock Sync and it changed the time by 6 seconds! I
just did it again and it says that the time is right and doesn't need
changing. It says it's 5:35PM and that it is Standard Time.

The TV news seems to have started early, but I think everyone who says
the clocks have changed are playing a trick on me.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Agent will use any time I give it to timestamp my posts, but email
always had the correct time, adjusted for DST. Yet today, the email
time agrees with my unchanged clocks.

In the past Eudora always displayed the time adjusted for Daylight
Saving time. Am I in the Fifth Dimension?

This seems worse than Jan 1, 2000.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this
weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my
clocks.

I checked the tzedit setting and it said it was to change the second
weekend in March, like I set it months ago.

So I ran Atomic Clock Sync and it changed the time by 6 seconds! I
just did it again and it says that the time is right and doesn't need
changing. It says it's 5:35PM and that it is Standard Time.

The TV news seems to have started early, but I think everyone who says
the clocks have changed are playing a trick on me.

My VCR didn't set itself this morning, so I did some checking. It looks
like every station in Chicago removed the time signal from their
transmissions! The only station I could find on cable that had the time
signal was the Travel Channel, which set my VCR to UTC instead of CDT.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:34:11 -0500, clifto wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

I would expect the VCR to have a timezone setting, like the other such
(auto-setting) devices (like PCs and DVRs) have.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:36:11 -0500, mm
wrote:

Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this
weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my
clocks.

I checked the tzedit setting and it said it was to change the second
weekend in March, like I set it months ago.

So I ran Atomic Clock Sync and it changed the time by 6 seconds! I
just did it again and it says that the time is right and doesn't need
changing. It says it's 5:35PM and that it is Standard Time.

The TV news seems to have started early, but I think everyone who says
the clocks have changed are playing a trick on me.

I have used several of the atomic clock websites, and I am NOT getting
Daylight Savings Time. In fact I manually set my clocks one hour
ahead, and when I ran the atomic clock sites, it set my clock back to
standard time. Did they forget to update them, or what? This is
nearly 24 hours after the time change occurred and they are still
wrong. I just used the atomic clock site to get my clock accurate to
standard time and manually set the time on hour ahead. What a pain in
the ass..... It's not the time changing thats the problem, it's these
atomic clock sites that are not changing thats irritating me. They
should have been updated at precisely 2am when the time was changed.

The program atomic.exe still says that the DST is April 1, 07

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

mm wrote:
[...]

That's hilarious. This really is worse than Jan 1, 2000, not that it
matters.

I"ve checked with my atomic clock program again and still no change.
(It's changed a few seconds twice today.) I don't know which atomic
clock I am checking, because I only have a list of numeric urls.

So far the only way I can tell what time it is is by watching tv.

OK,
http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
says broswer error or firewall stops the time applet
http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java/java
which url is almost identical has the time an hour ahead of me.
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl has the time for every
American timezone and is an hour ahead of me.

I would expect the VCR to have a timezone setting, like the other such
(auto-setting) devices (like PCs and DVRs) have.

Maybe vcr's just assume the signal will in most cases originate in the
same time zone as the vcr. No vcr I've ever had had a time zone
setting, although I've only had two that could set the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 10:00�am, Chris Friesen wrote:
wrote:
I have used several of the atomic clock websites, and I am NOT getting
Daylight Savings Time.

The atomic clock sites send out an absolute time in UTC (which doesn't
do daylight saving changes). *Your local computer is responsible for
converting to the appropriate timezone.

Chris

Somone called a radio talk show asking how the government generates
the extra daylight? can you imagine that

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have used several of the atomic clock websites, and I am NOT getting
Daylight Savings Time.

The atomic clock sites send out an absolute time in UTC (which doesn't
do daylight saving changes). our local computer is responsible for
converting to the appropriate timezone.

Chris

Somone called a radio talk show asking how the government generates
the extra daylight? can you imagine that

That's one of the problems with daylight saving time, some people get
the idea that it actually affects time, rather than just being a mind
trick. Most TALK that way.

The amount of daylight in a particular area depends on the Earth's
axial tilt, which is still way beyond any government's ability to
control. You can imagine what would be required to alter that, and in
just a PART of the world.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:00:14 -0600, Chris Friesen

I have used several of the atomic clock websites, and I am NOT getting
Daylight Savings Time.

The atomic clock sites send out an absolute time in UTC (which doesn't
do daylight saving changes). Your local computer is responsible for
converting to the appropriate timezone.

Chris

The people that control UTC would have an idea of the big mess
including DST would cause.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:00:14 -0600, Chris Friesen

I have used several of the atomic clock websites, and I am NOT getting
Daylight Savings Time.

The atomic clock sites send out an absolute time in UTC (which doesn't
do daylight saving changes). Your local computer is responsible for
converting to the appropriate timezone.

Hey, I was having an actual belly laugh from bus's post, until I read
yours.

OK, that's a good answer but as I said, I also ran tzedit months ago
and changed the DST starting date to the 2nd weekend in March. It
still says that but hasnt' changed.

Maybe I just assumed that the data displayed by that program was
related to the date displayed in my clock. It could be a dummy
program that Microsoft provides to fool the terrorists. Sort of like
the Soviets, and probably the Russians before and after them, wouldn't
print complete maps of Moscow, to make things harder for invading
armies.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this
weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my
clocks.

A friend of mine with Windows XP didn't do anything to change the
dates, not with TZEDIT (Time Zone Edit) or any other way, and she said
her time still changed correctly. She has Verizon Cable. Do you
think Verizon somehow updated her dates for the DST change?

OTOH, I checked again and TZEDIT is supposed to work with win98SE.
It's supposed to be included on the CD, although I dl'd a copy.

Also, I decided to turn off the DST change on the TZEDIT screen so I
could turn it back on, but when I unchecked the box, it deleted all
the dates and times!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , on Mon, 12 Mar
2007 12:06:07 -0500, mm wrote:

OK, that's a good answer but as I said, I also ran tzedit months ago
and changed the DST starting date to the 2nd weekend in March. It
still says that but hasnt' changed.

Did you also change your current time zone in "Date/Time" to something
other than your current time zone, then change it back?

Tzedit changes your registry settings, but in order to get those changes
re-read into the OS, it's necessary to change your time zone in
"Date/Time" in the Control Panel to something different, than change it
back.

It's all explained he

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=914387

(Search for "To manually modify time zone settings by using the Time
Zone Editor, follow these steps:" on that page.)

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this
weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my
clocks.

I checked the tzedit setting and it said it was to change the second
weekend in March, like I set it months ago.

So I ran Atomic Clock Sync and it changed the time by 6 seconds! I
just did it again and it says that the time is right and doesn't need
changing. It says it's 5:35PM and that it is Standard Time.

The TV news seems to have started early, but I think everyone who says
the clocks have changed are playing a trick on me.

I can't answer your question. I want to know the location of a bank
where I can deposit my daylight savings. And how is interest on my
account compounded?

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have used several of the atomic clock websites, and I am NOT getting
Daylight Savings Time.

The atomic clock sites send out an absolute time in UTC (which doesn't
do daylight saving changes). our local computer is responsible for
converting to the appropriate timezone.

Chris

Somone called a radio talk show asking how the government generates
the extra daylight? can you imagine that

A government person (EST) called one day wanting to speak with the
boss. I explained he was not in at the time. The guy was getting a
little "uppity" with me like I was not telling the truth.

Finally, I said; Sir we are on (PST) 8:00AM in your office equates to
5:00 AM in his office.

"Oh" was his response.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this
weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my
clocks.

The TV news seems to have started early, but I think everyone who says
the clocks have changed are playing a trick on me.

I can't answer your question. I want to know the location of a bank
where I can deposit my daylight savings. And how is interest on my
account compounded?

I know that Chemical Bank in NYC is a good place to deposit chemicals.
Even if you deposit money, you have to bring in beakers and flasks to
get your interest.

And at the Amalgamated Clothing bank, if you deposit a mink stole, in
about 30 years you can withdraw a mink coat.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:15:48 -0800, Oren wrote:

wrote:
I have used several of the atomic clock websites, and I am NOT getting
Daylight Savings Time.

The atomic clock sites send out an absolute time in UTC (which doesn't
do daylight saving changes). our local computer is responsible for
converting to the appropriate timezone.

Chris

Somone called a radio talk show asking how the government generates
the extra daylight? can you imagine that

A government person (EST) called one day wanting to speak with the
boss. I explained he was not in at the time. The guy was getting a
little "uppity" with me like I was not telling the truth.

Finally, I said; Sir we are on (PST) 8:00AM in your office equates to
5:00 AM in his office.

"Oh" was his response.

And if the time was actually different, one person on the phone would
be hearing sounds from the future.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this
weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my
clocks.

A friend of mine with Windows XP didn't do anything to change the
dates, not with TZEDIT (Time Zone Edit) or any other way, and she said
her time still changed correctly. She has Verizon Cable.

Verizon Cable? Strangely, Verizon is the PHONE company here.

Do you
think Verizon somehow updated her dates for the DST change?

OTOH, I checked again and TZEDIT is supposed to work with win98SE.
It's supposed to be included on the CD, although I dl'd a copy.

Also, I decided to turn off the DST change on the TZEDIT screen so I
could turn it back on, but when I unchecked the box, it deleted all
the dates and times!

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this
weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my
clocks.

I checked the tzedit setting and it said it was to change the second
weekend in March, like I set it months ago.

So I ran Atomic Clock Sync and it changed the time by 6 seconds! I
just did it again and it says that the time is right and doesn't need
changing. It says it's 5:35PM and that it is Standard Time.

The TV news seems to have started early, but I think everyone who says
the clocks have changed are playing a trick on me.

I can't answer your question. I want to know the location of a bank
where I can deposit my daylight savings. And how is interest on my
account compounded?

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

I tend to laugh quietly whenever I hear about Daylight Saving Time
(whether misspelled or not). It looks like people are so stupid they
think they're actually SAVING something, rather than just playing mind
games with themselves.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I tend to laugh quietly whenever I hear about Daylight Saving Time
(whether misspelled or not). It looks like people are so stupid they
think they're actually SAVING something, rather than just playing mind
games with themselves.

There are supposed to be a whole bunch of studies that show savings
in energy. I never have actually seen WHERE, although I would guess most
of it is probably not having to turn on lights until later.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this
weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my
clocks.

A friend of mine with Windows XP didn't do anything to change the
dates, not with TZEDIT (Time Zone Edit) or any other way, and she said
her time still changed correctly. She has Verizon Cable.

Verizon Cable? Strangely, Verizon is the PHONE company here.

You're right. Verizon DSL!

Do you
think Verizon somehow updated her dates for the DST change?

OTOH, I checked again and TZEDIT is supposed to work with win98SE.
It's supposed to be included on the CD, although I dl'd a copy.

Also, I decided to turn off the DST change on the TZEDIT screen so I
could turn it back on, but when I unchecked the box, it deleted all
the dates and times!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
I have used several of the atomic clock websites, and I am NOT getting
Daylight Savings Time.

The atomic clock sites send out an absolute time in UTC (which doesn't
do daylight saving changes). our local computer is responsible for
converting to the appropriate timezone.

Chris

Somone called a radio talk show asking how the government generates
the extra daylight? can you imagine that

A government person (EST) called one day wanting to speak with the
boss. I explained he was not in at the time. The guy was getting a
little "uppity" with me like I was not telling the truth.

Finally, I said; Sir we are on (PST) 8:00AM in your office equates to
5:00 AM in his office.

"Oh" was his response.

And if the time was actually different, one person on the phone would
be hearing sounds from the future.

Cool. That sounds great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm inspired greatness with:

A friend of mine with Windows XP didn't do anything to change the
dates, not with TZEDIT (Time Zone Edit) or any other way, and she said
her time still changed correctly. She has Verizon Cable. Do you
think Verizon somehow updated her dates for the DST change?

Wow.... You are really confused. In case you still have not figured
any of this out, I'll lay it out for you:

Remember - time servers always output UTC , a.k.a - Zulu time or GMT
(should be CUT or UCT - blame the French -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Since you're using Agent as your newsreader, I'll assume you are using
a Windows O/S... That information would have really helped out when
you started this thread. But perhaps you use a Linux emulator like
WINE, or the MAC equivalent.

You are running a version other than XP or Vista, most likely. XP has
a patch they sent out in automatic updates a long time ago - Vista
does not need a patch. That's why your friends PC updated itself.

Someone already gave you the correct answer regarding tzedit, it's
he

From: Seth Goodman
something other than your current time zone, then change it back?

Tzedit changes your registry settings, but in order to get those
changes re-read into the OS, it's necessary to change your time zone
in "Date/Time" in the Control Panel to something different, than
change it back.

It's all explained he
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=914387"

snip

Good luck, and remember to charge your fluxcapacitor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 00:11:58 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I tend to laugh quietly whenever I hear about Daylight Saving Time
(whether misspelled or not). It looks like people are so stupid they
think they're actually SAVING something, rather than just playing mind
games with themselves.

There are supposed to be a whole bunch of studies that show savings
in energy. I never have actually seen WHERE,

although I would guess most
of it is probably not having to turn on lights until later.

Anybody can make a mistake. Why would anyone think this is anything
other than doing things earlier?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd inspired greatness with:

Anybody can make a mistake. Why would anyone think this is anything
other than doing things earlier?

It has something to do with play with solstice times. It artificially
extends working hours to late into the night, you know -when it gets
dark at 9:00 PM as opposed to 8:00 PM, the great minds figure more
productivity can be garnered because the morning light is still @ ~~
6:00 AM (when the rooster cock-a-doodle-dooes).

Myself, I am more likely to work till 7 or 8 PM because there is more
light-- It's a psychological thing- I want to be home before it's too
dark, and since I don't punch a time clock - I get more productive
daylight hours. In the winter, I want to be home by 6:00PM - because
it's dark by then.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:37:56 -0400, Seth Goodman
wrote:

In article , on Mon, 12 Mar
2007 12:06:07 -0500, mm wrote:

OK, that's a good answer but as I said, I also ran tzedit months ago
and changed the DST starting date to the 2nd weekend in March. It
still says that but hasnt' changed.

Did you also change your current time zone in "Date/Time" to something
other than your current time zone, then change it back?

No. If I had done that, it wouldn't have blanked out the settings for
my actual time zone.

Tzedit changes your registry settings, but in order to get those changes
re-read into the OS, it's necessary to change your time zone in
"Date/Time" in the Control Panel to something different, than change it
back.

That's the sort of thing I was trying to accomplish by turning off and
on the DST adjustment. That's the reason I tried that.

Thanks.

Hmmm. These are some webpages I looked at before I posted. They are
specifically for win98 and don't bother to mention this what you said.
But I did what they said and it hasn't worked yet.

Hmmm. Now Atomic Clock Sync says I'm on Daylight time, so it's too
late to do anymore testing without twice as much effort. Thanks
though.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6618_102...sageID=2423188

I'm tired. One is enough.

It's all explained he

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=914387

(Search for "To manually modify time zone settings by using the Time
Zone Editor, follow these steps:" on that page.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:52:35 -0500, Sock Puppet
wrote:

mm inspired greatness with:

A friend of mine with Windows XP didn't do anything to change the
dates, not with TZEDIT (Time Zone Edit) or any other way, and she said
her time still changed correctly. She has Verizon Cable. Do you
think Verizon somehow updated her dates for the DST change?

Wow.... You are really confused.

I may be mistaken but I am not confused. Do you see the difference?

In case you still have not figured
any of this out, I'll lay it out for you:

Do you really think it possible that I haven't figured out "any of
this"?

I hate to tell you this but there is only one new thing in the post
that follows and it may well be irrelevant.

Remember - time servers always output UTC , a.k.a - Zulu time or GMT

Someone already said that.

(should be CUT or UCT - blame the French -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Since you're using Agent as your newsreader, I'll assume you are using
a Windows O/S... That information would have really helped out when
you started this thread.

The first post was meant to be humorous. Please see the Subject.

But perhaps you use a Linux emulator like
WINE, or the MAC equivalent.

You are running a version other than XP or Vista, most likely. XP has
a patch they sent out in automatic updates a long time ago - Vista
does not need a patch. That's why your friends PC updated itself.

Someone already gave you the correct answer regarding tzedit, it's
he

I know. I read his post, and I've replied to it. It came out after my
post that you are answering.

From: Seth Goodman
something other than your current time zone, then change it back?

Tzedit changes your registry settings, but in order to get those
changes re-read into the OS, it's necessary to change your time zone
in "Date/Time" in the Control Panel to something different, than
change it back.

It's all explained he
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=914387"

snip

You felt the need to repost 7 lines of it? Somehow you really annoy
me.

Good luck, and remember to charge your fluxcapacitor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Now wait a minute. If you follow the way it was explained to me,
Daylight Savings Time works like a bank. In the spring and summer you
change the clocks in order to deposit time into a savings account.
The government keeps the records about how much time is deposited into
the account, so we dont all have to keep record books. Then comes
winter, and the clocks are set back. Thats when the time from our
time savings account is withdrawn. Everyone knows that winter is
always much longer than summer, and seems to drag on forever. This is
why. All the time savings from summer are used in the winter, so the
winters are longer. That's the reason its called Daylight SAVINGS
Time, because it works just the same as a SAVINGS Account. I just
wish they would use the savings time in the summer so winter was not
so long. But as always, the government always does things back
assward.

Jay Rome
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 00:43:47 -0400, mm
wrote:

Did you also change your current time zone in "Date/Time" to something
other than your current time zone, then change it back?

Besides the webpage that didn't say this, after I read the above, I
found two other webpages that do say to do this.

But even they don't emphasize it like you did. I shouldn't have
doubted you. Thanks a lot.

P.S. Deep in tzedit.hlp, it said something similar, but it's no way
to write a program. They could have put some text in the tzedit
screen to tell you to do this.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:52:35 -0500, Sock Puppet
wrote:

I posted too quickly.

XP has
a patch they sent out in automatic updates a long time ago - Vista
does not need a patch. That's why your friends PC updated itself.

Don't you at least have to accept the updates when they are offered?
My friend generally doesn't do or accept updates to anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 00:13:13 -0500, wrote:

Maybe I just assumed that the data displayed by that program was
related to the date displayed in my clock. It could be a dummy
program that Microsoft provides to fool the terrorists. Sort of like
the Soviets, and probably the Russians before and after them, wouldn't
print complete maps of Moscow, to make things harder for invading
armies.

Chris

Now wait a minute. If you follow the way it was explained to me,
Daylight Savings Time works like a bank. In the spring and summer you
change the clocks in order to deposit time into a savings account.
The government keeps the records about how much time is deposited into

What if I want to set up an off-shore account for my daylight?

What about an off-planet account. I hear there's a lot of daylight on
the moon.

the account, so we dont all have to keep record books. Then comes
winter, and the clocks are set back. Thats when the time from our
time savings account is withdrawn. Everyone knows that winter is
always much longer than summer, and seems to drag on forever. This is
why.

OK. I see.

All the time savings from summer are used in the winter, so the
winters are longer. That's the reason its called Daylight SAVINGS
Time, because it works just the same as a SAVINGS Account. I just

Can you get a Christmas account, where you deposit a little bit of
daylight every week, but they don't pay any interest?

wish they would use the savings time in the summer so winter was not
so long. But as always, the government always does things back
assward.

Is it true that China and Japan have been buying the daylight, and the
US has to pay a lot of interest to get it back?

If I put daylight in my safe deposit box, will it leak out through the
cracks?

Jay Rome

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
XP has
a patch they sent out in automatic updates a long time ago - Vista
does not need a patch. That's why your friends PC updated itself.

Don't you at least have to accept the updates when they are offered?

Not if you have automatic updates configured, no. That's what "automatic"
means...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:39:16 -0500, Sock Puppet
wrote:

Mark Lloyd inspired greatness with:

Anybody can make a mistake. Why would anyone think this is anything
other than doing things earlier?

It has something to do with play with solstice times. It artificially
extends working hours to late into the night, you know -when it gets
dark at 9:00 PM as opposed to 8:00 PM, the great minds figure more
productivity can be garnered because the morning light is still @ ~~
6:00 AM (when the rooster cock-a-doodle-dooes).

Myself, I am more likely to work till 7 or 8 PM because there is more
light-- It's a psychological thing- I want to be home before it's too
dark, and since I don't punch a time clock - I get more productive
daylight hours. In the winter, I want to be home by 6:00PM - because
it's dark by then.

I do better work in the morning. Still has nothing to do with this
"daylight saving" nonsense.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm inspired greatness with:

You felt the need to repost 7 lines of it? Somehow you really annoy
me.

Yeah, well - that's the breaks.. Of the thousands US Usenet users,
there are only one or two in each group that have a problem setting
their clocks.... Maybe they are the annoyances, don't ya think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:34:11 -0500, clifto wrote:
My VCR didn't set itself this morning, so I did some checking. It looks
like every station in Chicago removed the time signal from their
transmissions! The only station I could find on cable that had the time
signal was the Travel Channel, which set my VCR to UTC instead of CDT.

That's hilarious. This really is worse than Jan 1, 2000, not that it
matters.

I"ve checked with my atomic clock program again and still no change.
(It's changed a few seconds twice today.) I don't know which atomic
clock I am checking, because I only have a list of numeric urls.

Odd. All my "atomic" clocks were set properly when I woke up Sunday.

I would expect the VCR to have a timezone setting, like the other such
(auto-setting) devices (like PCs and DVRs) have.

Maybe vcr's just assume the signal will in most cases originate in the
same time zone as the vcr. No vcr I've ever had had a time zone
setting, although I've only had two that could set the time.

The XDS standard also specifies a timezone record. Originally I would
have guessed that it would be used along with the correct UTC time to
set the VCR locally, doing so by assuming the selected channel was
local to the user. My observation says the VCR ignores the UTC part
and takes whatever time is in the record.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

clifto wrote:
The XDS standard also specifies a timezone record. Originally I would
have guessed that it would be used along with the correct UTC time to
set the VCR locally, doing so by assuming the selected channel was
local to the user. My observation says the VCR ignores the UTC part
and takes whatever time is in the record.

I have to correct myself. They do actually send UTC time and a timezone,
and the unit in question figures out the correct local time to set the
internal clock to. It's been a while since I played with it, and what
I was thinking of was the fact that many stations do other time records
in local time when they should be in UTC, for example a "program start"
time is often five or six hours (here in Central zone) before the
current time.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html

tv sound comes after 1 hour yhan Electronics Repair 4 October 30th 05 05:12 PM
Hour meter Stephen Young Metalworking 13 May 5th 05 07:50 AM
TV smells after using for an hour ap Home Ownership 9 March 4th 05 03:49 PM
Half Hour Fireproofing Colin UK diy 6 November 28th 04 08:50 AM
Running costs 1p/hour? Arthur UK diy 12 November 12th 04 12:35 PM