Colin

Default Half Hour Fireproofing

Hi,

I want to fireproof a wall to half-hour standards. Seems like a good idea
and keeps the BCO happy.

I believe that I can use double thickness plasterboard with the joints
staggered.

The question is... can I use tapered-edge board?

The supplemental question is... does the board need to be skimmed
afterwards? (I have had good success using tapered-edge and simply painting
the boards after - I was wondering if skimming was a requirement for
building regs.)

TIA Colin

Brad J

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:39:35 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

Hi,

I want to fireproof a wall to half-hour standards. Seems like a good idea
and keeps the BCO happy.

I believe that I can use double thickness plasterboard with the joints
staggered.

The question is... can I use tapered-edge board?

The supplemental question is... does the board need to be skimmed
afterwards? (I have had good success using tapered-edge and simply painting
the boards after - I was wondering if skimming was a requirement for
building regs.)

TIA Colin

Good question; Hope you get an answer. Does anyone know if such a
studwork wall has to be made withe a 4"x2" timber frame or will 3"x2"
or even 2"x2" do?

Brad

Hugo Nebula

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:39:35 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named
"Colin" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

The supplemental question is... does the board need to be skimmed
afterwards? (I have had good success using tapered-edge and simply painting
the boards after - I was wondering if skimming was a requirement for
building regs.)

Not skimming, but the joints should be taped and filled to seal the
gaps between the boards.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is, "if no-one on the internet wants
Lobster

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:39:35 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named
"Colin" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

The supplemental question is... does the board need to be skimmed
afterwards? (I have had good success using tapered-edge and simply
painting
the boards after - I was wondering if skimming was a requirement for
building regs.)

Not skimming, but the joints should be taped and filled to seal the
gaps between the boards.

My BCO did insist on skimming as well as two thicknesses of plasterboard...
I'm not saying that she was correct and you're not! but just adding my
experience.

David

Hugo Nebula

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:29:00 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named
"Lobster" randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

My BCO did insist on skimming as well as two thicknesses of plasterboard...
I'm not saying that she was correct and you're not! but just adding my
experience.

What thickness of p/bd did you use? For 30 minutes fire resistance, a
stud wall needs 2 layers of 12.5mm p/bd. If you've only used 2*9.5mm,
then a good thick skim coat will be needed.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is, "if no-one on the internet wants
a piece of this, just how far from the pack have you strayed?"'

Lobster

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:29:00 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named
"Lobster" randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

My BCO did insist on skimming as well as two thicknesses of
plasterboard...
I'm not saying that she was correct and you're not! but just adding my
experience.

What thickness of p/bd did you use? For 30 minutes fire resistance, a
stud wall needs 2 layers of 12.5mm p/bd. If you've only used 2*9.5mm,
then a good thick skim coat will be needed.

It was definitely 2 x 12.5mm; but having said that I don't know (or recall)
what duration of fire resistance I was supposed to be going for - I was just
told that two layers of pb + skim was what was needed. Presumably the
required duration depends on the job? Mine was for boxing to protect waste
pipes passing between two adjacent properties, as I couldn't source small
enough intumescent collars, and needed the boxing anyway.

David

Hugo Nebula

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:57:51 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named
"Lobster" randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

It was definitely 2 x 12.5mm; but having said that I don't know (or recall)
what duration of fire resistance I was supposed to be going for - I was just
told that two layers of pb + skim was what was needed. Presumably the
required duration depends on the job? Mine was for boxing to protect waste
pipes passing between two adjacent properties, as I couldn't source small
enough intumescent collars, and needed the boxing anyway.

Ah. 60 minutes required, therefore at least 30mm plasterboard (or
2*12.5mm + 5mm skim). Plus sound insulation is needed.

Half mask filters CandT UK diy 0 February 16th 04 11:25 AM
shower install - half inch 15mm elbow ? Matthew Thomasson UK diy 6 October 30th 03 08:35 AM