Matthew Thomasson

Default shower install - half inch 15mm elbow ?

I'm installing a grohe shower mixer.

The outlet that connects to the shower hose is an elbow which screws
into a half inch fitting mounted in the wall.

I'd intended using a half inch to 15mm elbow coupler (in the wall)
back to the mixer outlet.

But when screwed fully together the (15mm to half inch) coupler that
connects back to the shower outlet is left at an unusable angle.

The only way I can see it working is by not fully tightening the two
connections, but this would cause a leak ? What point am I missing
something ?

Any help appreciated.
Bob Minchin

Matthew Thomasson wrote:

I'm installing a grohe shower mixer.

The outlet that connects to the shower hose is an elbow which screws
into a half inch fitting mounted in the wall.

I'd intended using a half inch to 15mm elbow coupler (in the wall)
back to the mixer outlet.

But when screwed fully together the (15mm to half inch) coupler that
connects back to the shower outlet is left at an unusable angle.

The only way I can see it working is by not fully tightening the two
connections, but this would cause a leak ? What point am I missing
something ?

Any help appreciated.

Wrap the thread with PTFE tape, using sufficient tape so that the
fitting is fully tightened when pointing the desired direction.

Bob

BigWallop

"Matthew Thomasson" wrote in message
om...
I'm installing a grohe shower mixer.

The outlet that connects to the shower hose is an elbow which screws
into a half inch fitting mounted in the wall.

I'd intended using a half inch to 15mm elbow coupler (in the wall)
back to the mixer outlet.

But when screwed fully together the (15mm to half inch) coupler that
connects back to the shower outlet is left at an unusable angle.

The only way I can see it working is by not fully tightening the two
connections, but this would cause a leak ? What point am I missing
something ?

Any help appreciated.

Use a female to male elbowed connector and wrap the threads with PTFE
plumbers tape.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Kalico

"Matthew Thomasson" wrote in message
om...
I'm installing a grohe shower mixer.

The outlet that connects to the shower hose is an elbow which screws
into a half inch fitting mounted in the wall.

I'd intended using a half inch to 15mm elbow coupler (in the wall)
back to the mixer outlet.

But when screwed fully together the (15mm to half inch) coupler that
connects back to the shower outlet is left at an unusable angle.

The only way I can see it working is by not fully tightening the two
connections, but this would cause a leak ? What point am I missing
something ?

Any help appreciated.

Ahh! This is a gem. I have been in debate with a (nameless) major
manufacturer of these shower valves about this exact problem for some time
now.

Basically, with a bar mixer, you want it level. So, you spend ages making
sure that the elbows etc that fix back to the wall (ones for mounting
outside taps are best for this) are perfectly level and the required
distance apart.

Then, you screw in the 'cranked' connectors and find that one tightens a
different amount to the other and by nature of them being cranked, one can
be left, say, in the 12 o'clock positon, whilst the other is in, say, the 6
o'clock position. The result is a non level valve.

First, do not think about putting them in loose. you will get leaks. Don't
try to pad out with extra washers either - they will leak.

You can try using loads of PTFE and brute force (I have done this before)
and it should work. Try a few different elbows at the plumbers merchants to
find which tighten the same amount.

Anyway, after much debate with the said manufacturer, who incidentally say
they issue cranked connectors for use in the rennovation market, where a
plumber might be trying to fit a new vlave to old plumbing with differing
centres (******** IMHO), they told me they do sell straight connectors,
which eliminates the problem at a stroke. Why on earth they don't issue
them as standard I just don't know. I've fitted a few of them now and no
problems to date.

Hope that helps.
Rob

--
Tel. 07010 703 702

Replace SPAM with ORG to reply

John Stumbles

"Kalico" wrote in message
news
[...]

ISTR the last one of those I did I tightened the cranked fittings into the
wallplate elbows and /then/ fitted the wallplate elbows to the wall, so that
the shower mixer would be level :-)

When fitting outside taps where the problem is similar - getting the tap to
face downwards when screwed into a wallplate elbow constrained by the
direction the pipe is coming in from(*) - I use boss white and hemp (not the
fun sort :-) which lets you get a watertight and fairly stiff joint at the
correct angle, which should stiffen up over time as the boss white
gungifies.

(* why they don't do wallplate straight couplers, like a 1/2" BSP Female
with a flange with screw holes in it, so you can just bung the pipe directly
back through the wall with no problem of orientation - or if they do, where
to get them - I don't know)

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Kalico

[snip}

(* why they don't do wallplate straight couplers, like a 1/2" BSP Female
with a flange with screw holes in it, so you can just bung the pipe

directly
back through the wall with no problem of orientation - or if they do,

where
to get them - I don't know)

Some of the valve manufacturers do them, but they are about £15 each!

Toby

When fitting outside taps where the problem is similar - getting the tap
face downwards when screwed into a wallplate elbow constrained by the
direction the pipe is coming in from(*)
(* why they don't do wallplate straight couplers, like a 1/2" BSP
Female with a flange with screw holes in it, so you can just bung
the pipe directly back through the wall with no problem of
orientation - or if they do, where to get them - I don't know)

Like this one at £1.50 inc VAT. (Toolstation.com Part # 33291)
Small order delivery charge is £5 but you can collect from the branch on
Whiteladies Rd in Bristol.
350mm so should be long enough for most walls.

--
Toby.