John Stumbles

Default shower install - half inch 15mm elbow ?

"Kalico" wrote in message
news
"Matthew Thomasson" wrote in message
om...
I'm installing a grohe shower mixer.

The outlet that connects to the shower hose is an elbow which screws
into a half inch fitting mounted in the wall.

I'd intended using a half inch to 15mm elbow coupler (in the wall)
back to the mixer outlet.

But when screwed fully together the (15mm to half inch) coupler that
connects back to the shower outlet is left at an unusable angle.

The only way I can see it working is by not fully tightening the two
connections, but this would cause a leak ? What point am I missing
something ?

Any help appreciated.

Ahh! This is a gem. I have been in debate with a (nameless) major
manufacturer of these shower valves about this exact problem for some time
now.

Basically, with a bar mixer, you want it level. So, you spend ages making
sure that the elbows etc that fix back to the wall (ones for mounting
outside taps are best for this) are perfectly level and the required
distance apart.

Then, you screw in the 'cranked' connectors and find that one tightens a
different amount to the other and by nature of them being cranked, one can
be left, say, in the 12 o'clock positon, whilst the other is in, say, the

6
o'clock position. The result is a non level valve.

ISTR the last one of those I did I tightened the cranked fittings into the
wallplate elbows and /then/ fitted the wallplate elbows to the wall, so that
the shower mixer would be level :-)

When fitting outside taps where the problem is similar - getting the tap to
face downwards when screwed into a wallplate elbow constrained by the
direction the pipe is coming in from(*) - I use boss white and hemp (not the
fun sort :-) which lets you get a watertight and fairly stiff joint at the
correct angle, which should stiffen up over time as the boss white
gungifies.

(* why they don't do wallplate straight couplers, like a 1/2" BSP Female
with a flange with screw holes in it, so you can just bung the pipe directly
back through the wall with no problem of orientation - or if they do, where
to get them - I don't know)

--
John Stumbles