Arthur

Default Running costs 1p/hour?

How does a 400W single heat setting heater run at 1p an hour?

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/tru...asp?pe=CCCBAJB
Q_+Dimplex+400w+Low+Wattage+Panel&cid=1762

or

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...y?storeId=1000
1&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=112113&clickfrom=name

Arthur

ron

"Arthur" wrote in message
How does a 400W single heat setting heater run at 1p an hour?

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/tru...asp?pe=CCCBAJB
Q_+Dimplex+400w+Low+Wattage+Panel&cid=1762

or

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...y?storeId=1000
1&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=112113&clickfrom=name

Arthur

of from only 1p per hour

JM

Arthur wrote:
How does a 400W single heat setting heater run at 1p an hour?

A very quick look at British Gas's website shows that their typical 'night'
rate (on Economy 7) is around 2.5p/kwh. A 400w heater will therefore cost
1p/hour to run at that rate.

Of course, most people will want to use this kind of heating during the day
or evening, when it's likely to be closer to 10-15p/kwh, but their statement
is technically correct (they do mention 'from 1p/hour').

John.

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:37:08 +0000 (UTC), Arthur wrote:

How does a 400W single heat setting heater run at 1p an hour?

Our E7 Off peak costs 2.751p/unit inc VAT, which gives 1.1p/hr. I'm
sure there will be E7 tarrifs out there at 2.5p/unit inc VAT (2.38p
ex) or less to provide the 1p/hr.

As always with advertising read what it really says, not what you want
or think it says.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Arthur

"ron" wrote in message

"Arthur" wrote in message
How does a 400W single heat setting heater run at 1p an hour?

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/tru...asp?pe=CCCBAJB
Q_+Dimplex+400w+Low+Wattage+Panel&cid=1762

or

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...y?storeId=1000
1&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=112113&clickfrom=name

Arthur

of from only 1p per hour

Afraid I don't follow you, ron.

Pete C

wrote:

How does a 400W single heat setting heater run at 1p an hour?

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/tru...asp?pe=CCCBAJB
Q_+Dimplex+400w+Low+Wattage+Panel&cid=1762

or

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...y?storeId=1000
1&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=112113&clickfrom=name

Arthur

Hi,

They have a thermostat in them that regulates the surface temperature,
so in reality the heat output is probably 150w/hr or so.

What application do you have in mind? A thin oil filled radiator may
be better, Dimplex do them.

BTW anyone got one of those heaters with a digital thermostat? Would
like to know if they're any good.

cheers,
Pete.
Mike Clarke

In article , Pete C
wrote:

They have a thermostat in them that regulates the surface temperature,
so in reality the heat output is probably 150w/hr or so.

So you'd probably be better off just leaving a couple of lamp bulbs on
all the time and save the cost of buying the heater. Nice hot real bulbs
of course, not low energy ones.

--
Mike Clarke
N. Thornton

wrote:

How does a 400W single heat setting heater run at 1p an hour?

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/tru...asp?pe=CCCBAJB
Q_+Dimplex+400w+Low+Wattage+Panel&cid=1762

If its electric forget it, waste of money. Leccy costs about 3x what
gas does per unit.

If you turn it to minimum so it only eats 1p/hour it isnt going to
warm anything much, unless you sit on it.

Warm panels probably would work when youre sitting on a little cold
corner and want to take the chill off just under the desk, but wall
inulation panels are much better.

NT
Stanley

"N. Thornton" wrote in message snip

If its electric forget it, waste of money. Leccy costs about 3x what
gas does per unit.

I've always thought that. Recently I had a thought .... How much heat goes
out the flue on a gas heater?

All the heat goes into the room with leccy ones.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

---

Arthur

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ay?storeId=100

0
1&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=112113&clickfrom=name

Arthur

Hi,

They have a thermostat in them that regulates the surface temperature,
so in reality the heat output is probably 150w/hr or so.

What application do you have in mind? A thin oil filled radiator may
be better, Dimplex do them.

I want something to warm an airing cupboard in a bathroom.

This panel heater might be more efficient.
Smart Panel Heater
Product ID 53116 - The 450 watt model
http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Produc...GB&product=Pan
elHeater&catName=Heating#

Arthur

N. Thornton

"Stanley" wrote in message ...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message snip

If its electric forget it, waste of money. Leccy costs about 3x what
gas does per unit.

I've always thought that. Recently I had a thought .... How much heat goes
out the flue on a gas heater?

All the heat goes into the room with leccy ones.

depends on the heater. The worst can be as low as 55% efficient, some
very old cast iron ones. The best are somewhere around 95% efficient.
Either way, its still far cheaper than leccy.

NT
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Stanley" writes:
"N. Thornton" wrote in message snip

If its electric forget it, waste of money. Leccy costs about 3x what
gas does per unit.

I've always thought that. Recently I had a thought .... How much heat goes
out the flue on a gas heater?

Depends on the heater.
A modern condensing boiler is of the order ~90% efficient.
A 15 year old gas wall heater I have is 75% efficient,
and a non condensing boiler is going to be similar.
A decorative flame gas fire is nearer 20% efficient.

All the heat goes into the room with leccy ones.

Actually, over half the heat went up the power station
chinmey before the energy even got to you. Efficiency in
combustion power stations is somewhere around 30-35% for
older ones, and I'm not aware newer ones break the 50%
barrier.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Pete C

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:07:43 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

I want something to warm an airing cupboard in a bathroom.

This panel heater might be more efficient.
Smart Panel Heater
Product ID 53116 - The 450 watt model
http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Produc...GB&product=Pan
elHeater&catName=Heating#

Hi,

If you have gas CH then a small radiator would be much cheaper to run
in the long term, 2p/hr is still = £175/yr if left on all the time.

If it has to be electric then a pull switch and suitable for bathrooms
thermostat would help keep the cost down.

Tube heaters are another way to go, they are usually splash proof and
available in a range of lengths and wattages.

Trying out a bulb or two in there overnight with a thermometer would
give an idea of how much heat is needed.

cheers,
Pete.