Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT Is it an hour later yet?

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:25:21 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:34:11 -0500, clifto wrote:

mm wrote:
Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this
weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my
clocks.

I checked the tzedit setting and it said it was to change the second
weekend in March, like I set it months ago.

So I ran Atomic Clock Sync and it changed the time by 6 seconds! I
just did it again and it says that the time is right and doesn't need
changing. It says it's 5:35PM and that it is Standard Time.

The TV news seems to have started early, but I think everyone who says
the clocks have changed are playing a trick on me.

My VCR didn't set itself this morning, so I did some checking. It looks
like every station in Chicago removed the time signal from their
transmissions! The only station I could find on cable that had the time
signal was the Travel Channel, which set my VCR to UTC instead of CDT.

That's hilarious. This really is worse than Jan 1, 2000, not that it
matters.

I"ve checked with my atomic clock program again and still no change.
(It's changed a few seconds twice today.) I don't know which atomic
clock I am checking, because I only have a list of numeric urls.

So far the only way I can tell what time it is is by watching tv.

OK,
http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
says broswer error or firewall stops the time applet
http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java/java
which url is almost identical has the time an hour ahead of me.
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl has the time for every
American timezone and is an hour ahead of me.

I would expect the VCR to have a timezone setting, like the other such
(auto-setting) devices (like PCs and DVRs) have.

Maybe vcr's just assume the signal will in most cases originate in the
same time zone as the vcr. No vcr I've ever had had a time zone
setting, although I've only had two that could set the time.