Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto clifto is offline

Default OT Is it an hour later yet?

mm wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:34:11 -0500, clifto wrote:
My VCR didn't set itself this morning, so I did some checking. It looks
like every station in Chicago removed the time signal from their
transmissions! The only station I could find on cable that had the time
signal was the Travel Channel, which set my VCR to UTC instead of CDT.

That's hilarious. This really is worse than Jan 1, 2000, not that it
matters.

I"ve checked with my atomic clock program again and still no change.
(It's changed a few seconds twice today.) I don't know which atomic
clock I am checking, because I only have a list of numeric urls.

Odd. All my "atomic" clocks were set properly when I woke up Sunday.

I would expect the VCR to have a timezone setting, like the other such
(auto-setting) devices (like PCs and DVRs) have.

Maybe vcr's just assume the signal will in most cases originate in the
same time zone as the vcr. No vcr I've ever had had a time zone
setting, although I've only had two that could set the time.

The XDS standard also specifies a timezone record. Originally I would
have guessed that it would be used along with the correct UTC time to
set the VCR locally, doing so by assuming the selected channel was
local to the user. My observation says the VCR ignores the UTC part
and takes whatever time is in the record.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html