Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - This is really begining to suck...

On 2/24/2015 4:33 PM, Leon wrote:

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill came
up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the weather
forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any way shape or
form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Correct about "things". People, OTOH, will feel colder from the
evaporative affect on the skin. It feels colder than it really is.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 2/24/2015 12:54 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

And to think - we started off this winter season with a green
Christmas... Where is that freakin' Global Warming stuff that I keep
hearing about?

Oh quit your whining... your from Syracuse, your supposed to be tough
to the weather...

:-)

Ok...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

As the owner of Hunter Mtn ski resort was quoted as saying one time
"You don't ski naked" when asked about the good turn outs on the
slope despite the very low wind chill temperatures...

What a stupid question, eh? (tip of the hat to Dave and our other friends
in the great white north...). Imagine that - people sliding down a hill at
what - maybe 20 or 30 mph, and the questioner is asking about wind chill?
Hell - they experience wind chill everytime they go down the damned hill.
Sheese...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 8:29 PM, Leon wrote:

The standards for the common sense rating have been dumbed down so that
one one will be offended. Give that dummy a trophy!

If you are giving out a trophy, be sure that everyone on the team gets
one and the other team too. Self esteem you know.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

I love winter, and think in part it's because I have the stuff to deal
with it. My snow blower isn't that great, but I only need it to clear
the ice rink. If it's too cold for a coat, there's always a sweater
to put on under it. (I took that off this morning--too warm. It was
8F and I was skating.)

Can't say I really love winter, and for sure - I'm really tired of the zero
and sub-zero temperatures this year, but having said that, my standard outer
wear for this kind of weather is a hooded, zip up sweatshirt and a
windbreaker.(just a standard spring/fall weight windbreaker). I'm just
getting tired of having to wear it in the damned living room...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 19:29:20 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/24/2015 5:36 PM, Max wrote:
On 2/24/2015 1:38 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Having spent a year within 60 miles of the arctic circle on the end a
wide open peninsula with nothing except a couple of buildings to
block the wind, I can, without a doubt, state that wind chill is not
"media hype". It is not only very uncomfortable, but extremely
dangerous.

I disagree - in my opinion it is all media hype. We know that it is
cold in
the winter and that when the wind blows, it's even worse. We really
do not
need the hype of showing even lower temperatures, to know that it's
cold out
there. I grew up long before the age of "wind chill factor". Guess
what -
we knew it was cold out there and we either dressed for it, or took
refuge
in the manners that you describe. We did not need a flunky weatherman to
tell us the exagerated version of how cold it was. Common sense and all
that.

Common sense isn't as common as it used to be. ;-)

It is still common, it's just that a person with common sense 40 years
ago would look like a genius by comparison today.
The standards for the common sense rating have been dumbed down so that
one one will be offended. Give that dummy a trophy!

Here's your sign!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 19:35:03 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/24/2015 5:40 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:33:11 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/24/2015 12:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 12:55:38 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
I'm about fed up with winter this year! Here's an excerpt from the local
on-line newspaper... (BTW - January was only marginally better than
February).

"Syracuse had already broken two cold temperature records this month, and
now it's time to add one mo the most days below zero in a calendar year.

"This is the 20th time this year that we have dropped below zero, which is
an all-time record," the National Weather Service reported. That number
might grow with several below-zero days forecast this week, the weather
service said.
February 2015 will also likely break two other records: coldest month on
record and first month in which the temperature never rose above freezing.

Records date back to 1902."

These statistics are recorded at the airport down in Syracuse. Up here
where we live, on any given day we are 5-10 degrees colder than Syracuse,
and we certainly get more snow than they do at the airport - usually in the
neighborhood of 50% more. It's something when 0 degrees seems "not so bad
today", and 20 seems downright warm. You go outside in jeans, a flannel
shirt, and a windbreaker. I don't know how many mornings I woke up to -20F
without windchill factor, this year - but it sure seems like a lot. I don't
pay a bit of attention to windchill - I consider that more of a media hype
element than something I really need to care about.

And to think - we started off this winter season with a green Christmas...
Where is that freakin' Global Warming stuff that I keep hearing about?

"I don't pay a bit of attention to windchill - I consider that more of a media hype element than something I really need to care about."

I guess it all depends on where you are and what you do during extreme wind chill events.

For the past few days we've been having "extreme wind chill warnings" with temps in the minus single digits and wind chills in the -20's to -30's.

There is a huge difference from when I am shoveling my deck in the sheltered back yard vs. shoveling the driveway or walking the dog in the full force of the wind. There have been times when I have gone into the backyard just to get a reprieve from the wind and "warm up" a little.

http://www.noaa.gov/features/monitor...coldwinds.html

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill came
up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the weather
forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any way shape or
form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Specifically, it's the equivalent temperature at which unprotected
skin will freeze. Well, PUT ON A COAT! ;-)

Yeah, I don't think so. It is common to see wind chills that are above
freezing so nothing is going to freeze. It is simply the greater the
wind the faster the temperature of something will drop to the "actual"
temperature. But the meteorologists want us to think otherwise.

The point is that it's the equivalent temperature of bare skin. Don't
do that!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 22:11:19 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/24/2015 4:33 PM, Leon wrote:

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill came
up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the weather
forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any way shape or
form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Correct about "things". People, OTOH, will feel colder from the
evaporative affect on the skin. It feels colder than it really is.

"Wind chill" has nothing to do with evaporation, however. There is
very little water on the surface of the skin in the Winter (my dry
skin is evidence ;-). OTOH, any evaporation won't just make it feel
colder it will *make* it colder.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 8:21 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 2/24/2015 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:

What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

If the thing being affected by the wind has liquid water on it, the wind
will cause the water to evaporate, causing it to cool even below the
ambient temperature. That's how evaporative (swamp) coolers work.
Before cars had air conditioners, my dad had a canvas water bag he would
hang in front of the car's radiator. As he drove down the road, the
water would slowly seep through the sides of the bag, and the wind would
evaporate the water from the surface and cool the water in the bag.

But wind chill is only a human "touchy feeley" thing. So most people
don't douse themselves with water as they get ready to go out into the
cold wind. Now one is really warning the bridges and over passes that
there is a wind chill....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 9:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/24/2015 8:29 PM, Leon wrote:

The standards for the common sense rating have been dumbed down so that
one one will be offended. Give that dummy a trophy!

If you are giving out a trophy, be sure that everyone on the team gets
one and the other team too. Self esteem you know.

We both saw that movie. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 10:34 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Can't say I really love winter, and for sure - I'm really tired of the zero
and sub-zero temperatures this year, but having said that, my standard outer
wear for this kind of weather is a hooded, zip up sweatshirt and a
windbreaker.(just a standard spring/fall weight windbreaker). I'm just
getting tired of having to wear it in the damned living room...

I'm thankful for heated seats and remote starters. My car has an
excellent heater at -15 too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 9:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/24/2015 4:33 PM, Leon wrote:

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill came
up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the weather
forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any way shape or
form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Correct about "things". People, OTOH, will feel colder from the
evaporative affect on the skin. It feels colder than it really is.

But feeling colder might not really be colder. I feel cold in my house
when the thermostat is set on 74 when I walk in from the garage that is
95. I certainly no as cold as I think I am.

But seriously, when you hear the forecast and the wind chill is what
ever exciting number the meteorologist pulls out of his hat, who pours
water on themselves to prepare for the outing. And that would only last
until the water was gone or frozen.... and the ice would probable be an
excellent insulation from more extreme actual temperatures.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/24/2015 10:34 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Can't say I really love winter, and for sure - I'm really tired of
the zero and sub-zero temperatures this year, but having said that,
my standard outer wear for this kind of weather is a hooded, zip up
sweatshirt and a windbreaker.(just a standard spring/fall weight
windbreaker). I'm just getting tired of having to wear it in the
damned living room...

I'm thankful for heated seats and remote starters. My car has an
excellent heater at -15 too.

Funny you should mention that. My wife and I were just comparing the warm
up times of our two cars. My '06 Sonata will start to throw warm air within
less than a mile of driving, from a cold start in the garage. Her '10 Forte
takes 5 or 6 miles down the road to begin to throw heat. By the time I'm
1.5 miles down the road I can turn the blower on full and be getting full
blown heat - she's still shivering in her car. I have a 6 cylinder in my
Sonata and she has a 4 in her Forte - you'd think hers would warm up
quicker, but that's not the case. Neither of us have heated seats - well,
to be honest, she has a pretty hot seat, but that's a different matter...
She does have remote start though, so she gets to cheat and warm the car up
before leaving.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Can't say I really love winter, and for sure - I'm really tired of the
zero and sub-zero temperatures this year, but having said that, my
standard outer wear for this kind of weather is a hooded, zip up
sweatshirt and a windbreaker.(just a standard spring/fall weight
windbreaker). I'm just getting tired of having to wear it in the
damned living room...

I solved that problem. Those window kits that are nothing more than double
sided tape and shrink plastic really make a big difference.

I need to rent a thermal IR camera for about a month, or buy a cheap
android device to use the FLIR pocket model. I bet there's a lot of low-
hanging fruit that just needs a little help to be seen as an issue.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

I need to rent a thermal IR camera for about a month, or buy a cheap
android device to use the FLIR pocket model. I bet there's a lot of
low- hanging fruit that just needs a little help to be seen as an
issue.

I've thought of that very thing myself. We had an energy audit (or whatever
they call it...) done, where they IR'd our home, they created a positive
pressure inside the house, etc. and we came out pretty good. But - when
that old wind howls, it can just flat out be hard to keep the old homestead
warm at 20 below zero - without wind chill crap figured in. Screw the
"effect" or the "feel" of wind chill, but the truth is that wind takes
radiated heat away faster than no wind does. Gets mighty chilly at times...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:

What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

If the thing being affected by the wind has liquid water on it, the wind
will cause the water to evaporate, causing it to cool even below the
ambient temperature. That's how evaporative (swamp) coolers work.
Before cars had air conditioners, my dad had a canvas water bag he would
hang in front of the car's radiator. As he drove down the road, the
water would slowly seep through the sides of the bag, and the wind would
evaporate the water from the surface and cool the water in the bag.

But wind chill is only a human "touchy feeley" thing. So most people
don't douse themselves with water as they get ready to go out into the
cold wind.

But people do perspire, and if perspiring skin is exposed to the wind,
the resulting evaporation will cool the person off. It's an actual
cooling effect, and under the right conditions can cool the skin below
the ambient air temperature.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 10:18:15 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:

As the owner of Hunter Mtn ski resort was quoted as saying one time
"You don't ski naked" when asked about the good turn outs on the
slope despite the very low wind chill temperatures...

What a stupid question, eh? (tip of the hat to Dave and our other friends
in the great white north...). Imagine that - people sliding down a hill at
what - maybe 20 or 30 mph, and the questioner is asking about wind chill?
Hell - they experience wind chill everytime they go down the damned hill.
Sheese...

--

-Mike-

You are over-simplifying the situation.

On a typical day skiers spend much more time not skiing than skiing. In order, from bad to worse:

1 - Lift lines
2 - Lift rides
3 - Lift riders stuck suspended in mid air (and wind) due to malfunction or fallen skier.

Those are the times when both the temperature and wind bother the patrons.

When actually skiing, the wind can sometimes hurt, sometimes help. Headwind vs. tailwind vs. crosswind. In addition, the body builds up heat while skiing, but not while in the lift line or on the lift, so there is an offset. Of course, sometimes the bad part is getting over heated, perspiring and then taking off layers to feel more comfortable. Then you get stuck suspended on the lift and you are underdressed for the weather.

It's a balancing act.

While there have been a few brutal days when it just sucked all day long, for the most part the cold and wind don't bother me when I am actually skiing, it's only during the non-skiing times that you really notice the weather..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 19:44:15 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/24/2015 7:36 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Global Warming is soooo 1990's

Look for a temperature anomoly map. While it's true that the Northeast
is getting slammed, most of the planet is currently hotter than
normal. That's why it's called "global" warming and not "the Northeast
this month" warming.

Well you can be picky, take a look at Antarctica. It has been "Normal
Cold" in SE Texas for the past 10~15 years. In the 90's it was warmer
in the winter than normal but it has returned to record setting lows
again as it was in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. In the 90's it was unusual
to see temps drop to the 30's in Houston. I have seen it in the 20's
pretty often in the past 10 years.

I think the warming thoughts are simply a result of being able to
process way too much information, with computers, and not getting a real
sense of what is going on. I suspect that had we had the same
information and computers 200 years ago we would not see anything out of
the ordinary today.

Proportional control of heating, the swings are very large at first,
but then level out. So is it getting warmer, data say yes, is it
because of mankind, not enough data.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill came
up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the weather
forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any way shape or
form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Specifically, it's the equivalent temperature at which unprotected
skin will freeze. Well, PUT ON A COAT! ;-)

As the owner of Hunter Mtn ski resort was quoted as saying one time "You
don't ski naked" when asked about the good turn outs on the slope despite
the very low wind chill temperatures...

I have seen some naked skiers, but it was a photo shoot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 9:56 PM, Leon wrote:

But wind chill is only a human "touchy feeley" thing. So most people
don't douse themselves with water as they get ready to go out into the
cold wind. Now one is really warning the bridges and over passes that
there is a wind chill....

Meteorology likes to describe itself as a science, although the
forecasting part is akin to subjective crystal ball gazing.

The physics and chemistry of atmospheric science are arguably pure
science, relying upon objective, empirical observation. (well, when
politics doesn't intrude/rear its insidious head, as in AGW)

"Feels like" is subjective, and as such has no place whatsoever in
empirical observation of atmospheric conditions.

**** a bunch of big titted, coiffed talking heads, reading their crystal
balls in the finest, misguided "pop" science tradition.

You get only that which your intellect is capable...

End of story...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 17:06:47 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Markem wrote:

The coldest I have ever felt, was on the flightline in North Carolina,
it was only -10F. But it was snowing, and there was not a cloud in the
sky.

Seymore Johson AFB?

Seymour Johnson AFB, home of the 4th Tactical Fighter wing.

Moto, 4th but 1st, which works out to be "fourth to help ya, first to
**** ya".

Close enough on the spelling, yes Jan 75 through July 78
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill
came up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the
weather forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any
way shape or form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Specifically, it's the equivalent temperature at which unprotected
skin will freeze. Well, PUT ON A COAT! ;-)

As the owner of Hunter Mtn ski resort was quoted as saying one time
"You don't ski naked" when asked about the good turn outs on the
slope despite the very low wind chill temperatures...

I have seen some naked skiers, but it was a photo shoot.

Please post GIF's...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Markem wrote:

The coldest I have ever felt, was on the flightline in North
Carolina, it was only -10F. But it was snowing, and there was not a
cloud in the sky.

Seymore Johson AFB?

Seymour Johnson AFB, home of the 4th Tactical Fighter wing.

Moto, 4th but 1st, which works out to be "fourth to help ya, first to
**** ya".

Close enough on the spelling, yes Jan 75 through July 78

Can't remember the exact dates but I was there somewhere around '73 to '74.
I was Air Launched Guided Missiles. Still cannot forget that great big
billboard right outside of the gate near the BUFFs and on the way to the
bomb dump, that the KKK had put up - white knight on his stallion and all
that crap - recruiting members. As a northern boy - I just could not
believe my eyes!

Used to consider the Bijou theater downtown to be one of the cheap treats
for a weekend. Learned to love HushPuppies the way southerners make them!
Never learned to appreciate them damned grits - why in the hell would anyone
want to eat that crap? Did love riding my Triumph at night - through the
winding roads that followed the Noose (probably spelled incorrectly...)
River and all of that really cool hanging Spanish Moss. Kinda like some
sort of movie stuff.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill
came up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the
weather forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any
way shape or form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Specifically, it's the equivalent temperature at which unprotected
skin will freeze. Well, PUT ON A COAT! ;-)

As the owner of Hunter Mtn ski resort was quoted as saying one time
"You don't ski naked" when asked about the good turn outs on the
slope despite the very low wind chill temperatures...

I have seen some naked skiers, but it was a photo shoot.

Please post GIF's...

DAGS ;

or

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=&as_ri ghts=
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Mike Marlow
wrote:

I'm about fed up with winter this year! Here's an excerpt from the
local on-line newspaper... (BTW - January was only marginally
better than February).

You're not alone, Mike...

http://youtu.be/gmiuhGwwbgk

I loved that. Sent the link on to "select" members of my life - careful not
to include any of their wives...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Markem wrote:

[...]

I was a 462xx Weapons mechanic (fancy name for bomb loader). The KKK
sign just out of Smithfield on the way to Raleigh, the one outside the
base burned down before I got there. What I remember is the BBQ joint
out the back gate, saw a news piece about it when Clinton was POTUS.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

I was a 462xx Weapons mechanic (fancy name for bomb loader). The KKK
sign just out of Smithfield on the way to Raleigh, the one outside the
base burned down before I got there. What I remember is the BBQ joint
out the back gate, saw a news piece about it when Clinton was POTUS.

Hey - a Muzzle ****er! I was 316X1-L. Sidewinders, Sparrows, Shrikes,
Mavericks, Falcons. They called us Missile Weanies at the time. It was
good to be in missiles... Air conditioned shops in the summer, heated in
the winter, never had to work out in the crummy elements. One of my
roomates in the barracks was a Muzzle ****er too. Nice guy but you just had
to teach them and the 461's (B-B Stackers) so much about life's finer
points - like how to use a fork in the chow hall, etc.

So - you were still there when the F-4's were there. Awesome, eh? The
meanist, most badass jet fighter ever. I used to love driving by the BUFF
alert area on the way to the shop and watching those SAC guys standing guard
around the BUFFs. Used to think to myself - what a ****ty job they have!
Was glad to be in TAC.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Geezus John - don't I recall that the day you and I met at that local
pub down there, that it was clearly "Too Hot!"? BTW - I have no idea
when I'll get down there again, but whenever I do, we have to hook up
again. I enjoyed that time.

Indeed I do remember, altho I don't recall it being too hot...
as I recall it was September-ish, so it was probably rainy.

Yeah, it'd be fun to get together to talk about stuff again.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Geezus John - don't I recall that the day you and I met at that local
pub down there, that it was clearly "Too Hot!"? BTW - I have no idea
when I'll get down there again, but whenever I do, we have to hook up
again. I enjoyed that time.

Indeed I do remember, altho I don't recall it being too hot...
as I recall it was September-ish, so it was probably rainy.

Perspective is everything. Hot to me was probably cool to you.

Yeah, it'd be fun to get together to talk about stuff again.

We'll make it a plan the next time I find my way down there again, or if you
ever find yourself up this way.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 13:10:44 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Markem wrote:

[...]

Ah yes proof that with enough power anything can fly, the F-4 Phantom.
When I was leaving they were suppose to be changing to F-16s and
A-10s. The load shop had a sandwhich and snack setup, we paid for our
beer bashes and then some, till the flight line snack shop got all
uppity.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

Ah yes proof that with enough power anything can fly, the F-4
Phantom.
When I was leaving they were suppose to be changing to F-16s and
A-10s. The load shop had a sandwhich and snack setup, we paid for
our
beer bashes and then some, till the flight line snack shop got all
uppity.

SFWIW, my grand daughter's husband is career AF and is/was part
of the flight crew for the A10, that is until last year when the A-10
was
phased out and he had to find another assignment.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
web.com...

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I'm thinking about going fishing this afternoon. There was a bit of
a cold wind came in last night. If I go fishing I might take a
jacket, and I might not.

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Folks up here are thinking the same way. Rumor has it that the ice is
about 2 feet thick on Lake Ontario and other smaller lakes in the area.
I guess that's good for ice fishing...

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Yeah, but I would bet those folks will take a jacket.... or a parka. LOL.

Western end of Lake Erie is about 30 ft.

Reports indicate the is about 8 ft of ice.

Fishing is good even if temps are below zero.

8 ft of ice on the west end? Wow! I did a little ice fishing on Erie back
in the winter of 80/81, and I don't recall ever drilling more than 3 or 4
feet. With 8 feet they can drive trucks out to the islands for supply runs.
I can't imagine having to drill 8 feet of ice to go fishing though.
Drilling four little holes through 4 feet tuckered me out pretty good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Yeah, but I would bet those folks will take a jacket.... or a parka.
LOL.

Western end of Lake Erie is about 30 ft.

Reports indicate the is about 8 ft of ice.

Fishing is good even if temps are below zero.

8 ft of ice on the west end? Wow! I did a little ice fishing on Erie
back in the winter of 80/81, and I don't recall ever drilling more than 3
or 4 feet. With 8 feet they can drive trucks out to the islands for
supply runs. I can't imagine having to drill 8 feet of ice to go fishing
though. Drilling four little holes through 4 feet tuckered me out pretty
good.

FYI I did go fishing. I didn't take a jacket, and I didn't get back until
after dark. I caught fish, and I didn't need to drill no stinking ice.
LOL. I did take some ice to keep my sodas cold though.

Going out again today with a buddy of mine. We'll probably come in after
dark. I'll take a jacket, but only to cut the wind when he lights up the
big motor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Markem wrote:

[...]

The Coast Guard barracks on Governor's Island NY had vending machines in the lounges (picture a big TV room, with a pool table and some pretty nasty carpets and couches).

The vending machines had 6 offerings:

4 choices of soda and 2 choices of beer, typically PBR and maybe Milwaukee's Best.

At the USCG stations in AK, Olympia was the #1 best seller. It was flown in by the pallet on the C-130 supply flights. It was common knowledge that you never wanted to let an Oly get warm while you were drinking it. The bottom of an Oly can was some pretty nasty stuff.

At our weekend bonfires, we would keep the beer near the fire so it wouldn't freeze. Once you opened it, you had to drink it fairly quickly or it would freeze before you could finish it.

It was that damn wind chill, ya know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

FYI I did go fishing. I didn't take a jacket, and I didn't get back
until after dark. I caught fish, and I didn't need to drill no
stinking ice. LOL. I did take some ice to keep my sodas cold though.

Going out again today with a buddy of mine. We'll probably come in
after dark. I'll take a jacket, but only to cut the wind when he
lights up the big motor.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Jeez... ;~) Yes people perspire, but typically only when it is warm
enough that their bodies need to be cooled. If they are going out in
the cold, say 40 degrees and the wind chill is 28, I seriously doubt
that anyone is going to perspire. They might if dressed too heavily but
then where is no wind inside all that clothing, otherwise they would not
be perspiring.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 23:56:57 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

"Wind chill" has nothing to do with evaporation, however. There is
very little water on the surface of the skin in the Winter (my dry
skin is evidence ;-). OTOH, any evaporation won't just make it feel
colder it will *make* it colder.

Only to a point though. Wind chill is commonly reported to be 20 degrees
colder than ambient this time of year. Evaporation is not going to lower
temperatures that much when the air is this cold. Cold air does not hold
moisture like warm air does, so evaporation is not the same factor that it
can be in warmer air.

Sure, but note that my first sentence above is "'Wind Chill' has
nothing to do with evaporation".
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Markem wrote:

[...]

November, 1950. Ist Cavalry Div. North Korea. Miserably cold. Soul
penetratingly cold. Deathly cold.

I LOVE TO SUCK IT:)) sexy_lady86 UK diy 4 December 23rd 06 02:37 AM
Suck or blow? HLAH UK diy 0 July 28th 06 02:50 PM
SPORTS SUCK! Erich J. Schultheis Electronics Repair 7 December 21st 05 03:51 AM
begining workshop Deborah Kelly Woodworking 38 November 4th 05 03:59 AM
begining workshop Larry Blanchard Woodworking 3 November 1st 05 05:01 PM