Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - This is really begining to suck...

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 19:35:03 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/24/2015 5:40 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:33:11 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/24/2015 12:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 12:55:38 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
I'm about fed up with winter this year! Here's an excerpt from the local
on-line newspaper... (BTW - January was only marginally better than
February).

"Syracuse had already broken two cold temperature records this month, and
now it's time to add one mo the most days below zero in a calendar year.

"This is the 20th time this year that we have dropped below zero, which is
an all-time record," the National Weather Service reported. That number
might grow with several below-zero days forecast this week, the weather
service said.
February 2015 will also likely break two other records: coldest month on
record and first month in which the temperature never rose above freezing.

Records date back to 1902."

These statistics are recorded at the airport down in Syracuse. Up here
where we live, on any given day we are 5-10 degrees colder than Syracuse,
and we certainly get more snow than they do at the airport - usually in the
neighborhood of 50% more. It's something when 0 degrees seems "not so bad
today", and 20 seems downright warm. You go outside in jeans, a flannel
shirt, and a windbreaker. I don't know how many mornings I woke up to -20F
without windchill factor, this year - but it sure seems like a lot. I don't
pay a bit of attention to windchill - I consider that more of a media hype
element than something I really need to care about.

And to think - we started off this winter season with a green Christmas...
Where is that freakin' Global Warming stuff that I keep hearing about?

"I don't pay a bit of attention to windchill - I consider that more of a media hype element than something I really need to care about."

I guess it all depends on where you are and what you do during extreme wind chill events.

For the past few days we've been having "extreme wind chill warnings" with temps in the minus single digits and wind chills in the -20's to -30's.

There is a huge difference from when I am shoveling my deck in the sheltered back yard vs. shoveling the driveway or walking the dog in the full force of the wind. There have been times when I have gone into the backyard just to get a reprieve from the wind and "warm up" a little.

Having spent a year within 60 miles of the arctic circle on the end a wide open peninsula with nothing except a couple of buildings to block the wind, I can, without a doubt, state that wind chill is not "media hype". It is not only very uncomfortable, but extremely dangerous.

http://www.noaa.gov/features/monitor...coldwinds.html

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill came
up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the weather
forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any way shape or
form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Specifically, it's the equivalent temperature at which unprotected
skin will freeze. Well, PUT ON A COAT! ;-)

Yeah, I don't think so. It is common to see wind chills that are above
freezing so nothing is going to freeze. It is simply the greater the
wind the faster the temperature of something will drop to the "actual"
temperature. But the meteorologists want us to think otherwise.

The point is that it's the equivalent temperature of bare skin. Don't
do that!