Larry Blanchard

Default begining workshop

Deborah Kelly wrote:
lol that is why I'm looking at lower end stuff...lol... I don't know if I
can find anything used out here this is a small town...lol

I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but you could always look
for a used Shopsmith. I've seen decent ones for under $500. Then a
router, which I forgot in my original response.

I wouldn't buy one sight unseen, but look online for one within driving
distance.
Deborah Kelly

lol that is why I'm looking at lower end stuff...lol... I don't know if I
can find anything used out here this is a small town...lol

Dedorah

AAvK

lol that is why I'm looking at lower end stuff...lol... I don't know if I
can find anything used out here this is a small town...lol

Dedorah

I hate ta say it but you have to look at more like $2.000 and up for
a shop,

Tablesaws:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cat=Table+Saws
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G0444Z

Drill press:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G7944
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=H0626
The latter is two tools in one, it adds oscillation which is an up and
down movement of the spindle for use as a drum sander, bench top
mounted.

Jointer:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0586
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=00 921706000

Router and bits and table, band saw (negligible), electric hand drill or
two, definitely a workbench, hand chisels set, drill bit sets of at least
four different types (brad point, regular jobbers, spade bits, forstner bits),
make sure they are "high speed steel" except for the spades. And a book
all about sharpening, stones, files etc., (Leonard Lee wrote it).

A band saw is not supremely important unless you will be owning a
lot of lumber and need to re-saw it to thinner boards, sometimes. As
for cutting curves, a hand jig saw or a tabletop scrollsaw would replace
it.

And on and on it goes. I know I could do it, but I live in an apartment,
so I go to the local adult ed. shop for $10 per class, they have really
incredible equipement there. You could have the other half read this

Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

HerHusband

Deborah,

that is why I'm looking at lower end stuff...
I don't know if I can find anything used out here

1. Don't buy cheap low-end tools. You'll regret it later. You may save
1/2 the cost now, but you'll have to buy two or three replacements when
they fail.

2. Only buy tools when you need them for a project. For example, don't
get a drill press because you "think" you might need it someday.

Based on my own experience, here's the tools I would start out with.

1. The basics. A sharp handsaw, a hammer, basic hand tools (screwdrivers,
etc.)

2. A good cordless drill. I have an 18volt Craftsman model, and it's
probably the most used tool in my collection. I use it not only for
woodworking, but for repairs around the house, away from the house, etc.
It's unbelievably versatile for driving screws, drilling holes, etc. and
being cordless really increases it's usability.

3. A good circular saw, the handheld "skilsaw" type. Buy the best you can
afford. Even with a tablesaw, I still use my circular saw with a straight
edge to cut up plywood. It also comes in handy for other construction
projects.

4. A good router. I started out with a small Black & Decker cheapie, and
I still use it to this day. It's light and easy to work with. But, I
bought a nicer Porter Cable 693 to use in a router table. You can do a
lot of things with a router, that are difficult or impossible to do any
other way.

5. A good handheld electric sander. DO NOT buy cheap. These things seem
to wear out quickly. I've gone through several over the years.

6. A good jigsaw. I bought a nice Bosch model, and have been very happy
with it. While it's not something you will use a LOT, it's invaluable
when you need it.

7. A power miter saw. While I can make the same cuts with the circular
saw or even a handsaw, the power miter makes the cuts faster, easier, and
more accurate.

8. A tablesaw, the expensive workhorse of the shop. I really only use
mine to rip boards to width. I use the miter saw to crosscut boards, or
the circular saw and a straight edge to crosscut large boards/panels. I
inherited a cheap old Craftsman saw from my Dad, and with an Accufence
replacement, it serves my needs well.

9. A portable planer. I didn't think I would use this tool as much as I
do, but it's now one of my most used tools. Planing down panels, cleaning
up rough boards, etc. I've built many projects from "Recycled" lumber
that I would have just thrown out before.

Anthony