Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - This is really begining to suck...

I'm about fed up with winter this year! Here's an excerpt from the local
on-line newspaper... (BTW - January was only marginally better than
February).

"Syracuse had already broken two cold temperature records this month, and
now it's time to add one mo the most days below zero in a calendar year.

"This is the 20th time this year that we have dropped below zero, which is
an all-time record," the National Weather Service reported. That number
might grow with several below-zero days forecast this week, the weather
service said.
February 2015 will also likely break two other records: coldest month on
record and first month in which the temperature never rose above freezing.

Records date back to 1902."

These statistics are recorded at the airport down in Syracuse. Up here
where we live, on any given day we are 5-10 degrees colder than Syracuse,
and we certainly get more snow than they do at the airport - usually in the
neighborhood of 50% more. It's something when 0 degrees seems "not so bad
today", and 20 seems downright warm. You go outside in jeans, a flannel
shirt, and a windbreaker. I don't know how many mornings I woke up to -20F
without windchill factor, this year - but it sure seems like a lot. I don't
pay a bit of attention to windchill - I consider that more of a media hype
element than something I really need to care about.

And to think - we started off this winter season with a green Christmas...
Where is that freakin' Global Warming stuff that I keep hearing about?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/24/2015 11:54 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Records date back to 1902."

That's barely over 100 yr...not much to compare to climatology-wise.
One way to think of it is there's almost a 1% chance every day if were
to consider it like a dice toss...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 11:54 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
[...]

Global Warming is soooo 1990's

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I'm about fed up with winter this year! Here's an excerpt from the
local on-line newspaper... (BTW - January was only marginally
better than February).

It took me a while to get to SoCal.

Should be about 74F today.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

I'm about fed up with winter this year! Here's an excerpt from the
local
on-line newspaper... (BTW - January was only marginally better than
February).

I'm with you...I HATE winter. I had hoped that this would be the third
year in a row that we didn't have a freeze but oh, NO...it got down to 31
one night last week. Fortunately, the rest of February and from then on
look good. Until it gets hot. Here in Florida, we have two seasons...

1. Too cold
2. Too hot

I miss the weather - but not much else - in Honolulu. It got down to 52
one time.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I'm thinking about going fishing this afternoon. There was a bit of a cold
wind came in last night. If I go fishing I might take a jacket, and I might
not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Having spent a year within 60 miles of the arctic circle on the end a
wide open peninsula with nothing except a couple of buildings to
block the wind, I can, without a doubt, state that wind chill is not
"media hype". It is not only very uncomfortable, but extremely
dangerous.

I disagree - in my opinion it is all media hype. We know that it is cold in
the winter and that when the wind blows, it's even worse. We really do not
need the hype of showing even lower temperatures, to know that it's cold out
there. I grew up long before the age of "wind chill factor". Guess what -
we knew it was cold out there and we either dressed for it, or took refuge
in the manners that you describe. We did not need a flunky weatherman to
tell us the exagerated version of how cold it was. Common sense and all
that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I'm about fed up with winter this year! Here's an excerpt from the
local on-line newspaper... (BTW - January was only marginally
better than February).

It took me a while to get to SoCal.

Should be about 74F today.

Yeahbut your gas prices are causing the creek to rise...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I'm thinking about going fishing this afternoon. There was a bit of
a cold wind came in last night. If I go fishing I might take a
jacket, and I might not.

Folks up here are thinking the same way. Rumor has it that the ice is about
2 feet thick on Lake Ontario and other smaller lakes in the area. I guess
that's good for ice fishing...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 12:54 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
[...]

I am across Lake Ontario from you in Toronto, it has been really cold
here too, but sounds like you are getting the (dis)advantage from the
winds blowing over all that ice.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:

I am across Lake Ontario from you in Toronto, it has been really cold
here too, but sounds like you are getting the (dis)advantage from the
winds blowing over all that ice.

Yup - but the up side is that despite the snow we have received in February,
we have been spared a lot. Ontario is now 67% frozen over - the first time
since we have been recording weather information. That means we've been hit
by a great deal less Lake Effect snow that what we're accustomed to. If
we'd have received our normal Lake Effect on top of the snow we did receive
this year, it would have been ugly. We're near our annual normal snowfall
right now - without Lake Effect. You guys up there in Toronto can keep all
that cold air you keep sending down to us...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Here in Florida, we have
two seasons...

1. Too cold
2. Too hot

Pfaugh. The seasons in Florida are "tourist" and "rainy".

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in
:

Here in Florida, we have
two seasons...

1. Too cold
2. Too hot

Pfaugh. The seasons in Florida are "tourist" and "rainy".

John

Geezus John - don't I recall that the day you and I met at that local pub
down there, that it was clearly "Too Hot!"? BTW - I have no idea when I'll
get down there again, but whenever I do, we have to hook up again. I
enjoyed that time.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 12:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I guess it all depends on where you are and what you do during extreme wind chill events.

For the past few days we've been having "extreme wind chill warnings" with temps in the minus single digits and wind chills in the -20's to -30's.

There is a huge difference from when I am shoveling my deck in the sheltered back yard vs. shoveling the driveway or walking the dog in the full force of the wind. There have been times when I have gone into the backyard just to get a reprieve from the wind and "warm up" a little.

Having spent a year within 60 miles of the arctic circle on the end a wide open peninsula with nothing except a couple of buildings to block the wind, I can, without a doubt, state that wind chill is not "media hype". It is not only very uncomfortable, but extremely dangerous.

http://www.noaa.gov/features/monitor...coldwinds.html

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill came
up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the weather
forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any way shape or
form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 10:23:49 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

The coldest I have ever felt, was on the flightline in North Carolina,
it was only -10F. But it was snowing, and there was not a cloud in the
sky.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 3:40:25 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

You call it hype, I call it doing us a favor.

They can tell me it's 5 below with winds of 15MPH or they can tell me it's 5 below with a wind chill temperature of -26. I thank them for doing the math for me. The fact is, at 5 below with winds of 15MPH, it's going to feel like -26, not -5 or -40, so now I know to dress for -26, not -5 or -40.

Of course, we could use AccuWeather's RealFeel®:

"The AccuWeather RealFeel® ... uses multiple factors including the temperature, humidity, cloud cover, sun intensity, and wind to explain how hot (or cold) it feels outside."

With that many variables, I'd be willing to tag that as hype. :-)

I also tag terms like Snowmageddon, Snowpocalypse, and Snowzilla as hype.

We now know your opinion of "flunky weatherman", but we don't know your opinion of NOAA. They don't appear to consider wind chill temperatures as hype.. Are they "flunky" also?

From:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ddc/?n=windchill

"Frostbite Threshold: For the first time, the wind chill temperatures include specific threshold values that provide specific warning of time-to-frostbite at given levels of wind chill. For example, a temperature of 5 degrees Fahrenheit and a wind speed of 30 mph equal a wind chill of -19, which will produce frostbite in 30 minutes. The chart also shows how frostbite will occur sooner if the temperature is lower or the wind speed higher. Since it is the responsibility of the National Weather Service to help protect lives, this is an important service to the American people."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I'm thinking about going fishing this afternoon. There was a bit of
a cold wind came in last night. If I go fishing I might take a
jacket, and I might not.

Folks up here are thinking the same way. Rumor has it that the ice is
about 2 feet thick on Lake Ontario and other smaller lakes in the area. I
guess that's good for ice fishing...

Yeah, but I would bet those folks will take a jacket.... or a parka. LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

The coldest I have ever felt, was on the flightline in North Carolina,
it was only -10F. But it was snowing, and there was not a cloud in the
sky.

Seymore Johson AFB?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

We now know your opinion of "flunky weatherman", but we don't know
your opinion of NOAA. They don't appear to consider wind chill
temperatures as hype. Are they "flunky" also?

Wind chill does have a real meaning - that was not my point. My point was
the weatherman hyping this to make a more sensational weather report. The
temperature is the temperature. It only takes a modicum of common sense to
know that it's cold out there and that if the wind is blowing, it's going to
affect you more than if it were not.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

From:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ddc/?n=windchill

"Frostbite Threshold: For the first time, the wind chill temperatures include specific threshold values that provide specific warning of time-to-frostbite at given levels of wind chill. For example, a temperature of 5 degrees Fahrenheit and a wind speed of 30 mph equal a wind chill of -19, which will produce frostbite in 30 minutes. The chart also shows how frostbite will occur sooner if the temperature is lower or the wind speed higher. Since it is the responsibility of the National Weather Service to help protect lives, this is an important service to the American people."

Feels like, real feel.... to who in particular would this apply to? It
is a feeling not shared by all.
Over weight people are naturally better insulated than skinny people.

Put two equally filled and equal temperature glasses of water out in 30F
temperatures, one protected from the wind, one in a 30 mph wind.
The one in the wind will drop in temperature more quickly but will not
end up being a lower temperature than the one that is protected from the
wind after 30 minutes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 4:05 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill came
up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the weather
forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any way shape or
form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Correct.

Even 42 years ago.. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/24/2015 4:10 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Wind chill does have a real meaning - that was not my point. My point was
the weatherman hyping this to make a more sensational weather report. The
temperature is the temperature. It only takes a modicum of common sense to
know that it's cold out there and that if the wind is blowing, it's going to
affect you more than if it were not.

Well, their job is to protect and part of that is information. There
are a number (I'd guess likely even a majority) who live so insulated
from routine weather and its adverse consequences they've no clue...

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Oh quit your whining... your from Syracuse, your supposed to be tough to
the weather...

:-)

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 1:38 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Having spent a year within 60 miles of the arctic circle on the end a
wide open peninsula with nothing except a couple of buildings to
block the wind, I can, without a doubt, state that wind chill is not
"media hype". It is not only very uncomfortable, but extremely
dangerous.

I disagree - in my opinion it is all media hype. We know that it is cold in
the winter and that when the wind blows, it's even worse. We really do not
need the hype of showing even lower temperatures, to know that it's cold out
there. I grew up long before the age of "wind chill factor". Guess what -
we knew it was cold out there and we either dressed for it, or took refuge
in the manners that you describe. We did not need a flunky weatherman to
tell us the exagerated version of how cold it was. Common sense and all
that.

Common sense isn't as common as it used to be. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:33:11 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Specifically, it's the equivalent temperature at which unprotected
skin will freeze. Well, PUT ON A COAT! ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Yeah, but I would bet those folks will take a jacket.... or a parka.
LOL.

Western end of Lake Erie is about 30 ft.

Reports indicate the is about 8 ft of ice.

Fishing is good even if temps are below zero.

http://tinyurl.com/onnmzhn

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

When I was in my college physics class the subject of wind chill came
up. It was pretty much a laughing matter as far as the weather
forecasters were concerned. Wind chill does not in any way shape or
form make things colder than the actual temperature.
What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

Specifically, it's the equivalent temperature at which unprotected
skin will freeze. Well, PUT ON A COAT! ;-)

As the owner of Hunter Mtn ski resort was quoted as saying one time "You
don't ski naked" when asked about the good turn outs on the slope despite
the very low wind chill temperatures...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Yeahbut your gas prices are causing the creek to rise...

If it's only $5/gal more than the rest of the country, it's worth it,
at least to me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

It is still common, it's just that a person with common sense 40 years
ago would look like a genius by comparison today.
The standards for the common sense rating have been dumbed down so that
one one will be offended. Give that dummy a trophy!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I don't think so. It is common to see wind chills that are above
freezing so nothing is going to freeze. It is simply the greater the
wind the faster the temperature of something will drop to the "actual"
temperature. But the meteorologists want us to think otherwise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 7:36 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Global Warming is soooo 1990's

Look for a temperature anomoly map. While it's true that the Northeast
is getting slammed, most of the planet is currently hotter than
normal. That's why it's called "global" warming and not "the Northeast
this month" warming.

Well you can be picky, take a look at Antarctica. It has been "Normal
Cold" in SE Texas for the past 10~15 years. In the 90's it was warmer
in the winter than normal but it has returned to record setting lows
again as it was in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. In the 90's it was unusual
to see temps drop to the 30's in Houston. I have seen it in the 20's
pretty often in the past 10 years.

I think the warming thoughts are simply a result of being able to
process way too much information, with computers, and not getting a real
sense of what is going on. I suspect that had we had the same
information and computers 200 years ago we would not see anything out of
the ordinary today.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

[...]

Some of these low temperatures are ridiculous. My ideal is 20F during
the day and around 10F at night. It's too bad we've wasted all this cold
with 0F at night and a month of 30-40F. If the weather had averaged out,
it'd have been a really nice year.

I love winter, and think in part it's because I have the stuff to deal
with it. My snow blower isn't that great, but I only need it to clear
the ice rink. If it's too cold for a coat, there's always a sweater to
put on under it. (I took that off this morning--too warm. It was 8F and
I was skating.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 19:44:15 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

The evidence says that it's another way of increasing taxes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Yeahbut your gas prices are causing the creek to rise...

If it's only $5/gal more than the rest of the country, it's worth it,
at least to me.

If I'm paying $5/gal less than you, it's worth it to me, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote
in message \
"Mike Marlow"
wrote in

[...]

Another _good_ thing about winter is, NO BUGS!
;)}

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:

What wind chill really does is cool things down faster to what the
actual temperature is rather than if there was no wind at all.

If the thing being affected by the wind has liquid water on it, the wind
will cause the water to evaporate, causing it to cool even below the
ambient temperature. That's how evaporative (swamp) coolers work.
Before cars had air conditioners, my dad had a canvas water bag he would
hang in front of the car's radiator. As he drove down the road, the
water would slowly seep through the sides of the bag, and the wind would
evaporate the water from the surface and cool the water in the bag.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2015 5:50 PM, dpb wrote:

Well, their job is to protect and part of that is information. There
are a number (I'd guess likely even a majority) who live so insulated
from routine weather and its adverse consequences they've no clue...

The job of the TV weatherman is to get ratings too. Some go overboard
with the dramatics.

I LOVE TO SUCK IT:)) sexy_lady86 UK diy 4 December 23rd 06 02:37 AM
Suck or blow? HLAH UK diy 0 July 28th 06 02:50 PM
SPORTS SUCK! Erich J. Schultheis Electronics Repair 7 December 21st 05 03:51 AM
begining workshop Deborah Kelly Woodworking 38 November 4th 05 03:59 AM
begining workshop Larry Blanchard Woodworking 3 November 1st 05 05:01 PM