Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - This is really begining to suck...

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 10:18:15 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:

As the owner of Hunter Mtn ski resort was quoted as saying one time
"You don't ski naked" when asked about the good turn outs on the
slope despite the very low wind chill temperatures...

What a stupid question, eh? (tip of the hat to Dave and our other friends
in the great white north...). Imagine that - people sliding down a hill at
what - maybe 20 or 30 mph, and the questioner is asking about wind chill?
Hell - they experience wind chill everytime they go down the damned hill.
Sheese...

--

-Mike-

You are over-simplifying the situation.

On a typical day skiers spend much more time not skiing than skiing. In order, from bad to worse:

1 - Lift lines
2 - Lift rides
3 - Lift riders stuck suspended in mid air (and wind) due to malfunction or fallen skier.

Those are the times when both the temperature and wind bother the patrons.

When actually skiing, the wind can sometimes hurt, sometimes help. Headwind vs. tailwind vs. crosswind. In addition, the body builds up heat while skiing, but not while in the lift line or on the lift, so there is an offset. Of course, sometimes the bad part is getting over heated, perspiring and then taking off layers to feel more comfortable. Then you get stuck suspended on the lift and you are underdressed for the weather.

It's a balancing act.

While there have been a few brutal days when it just sucked all day long, for the most part the cold and wind don't bother me when I am actually skiing, it's only during the non-skiing times that you really notice the weather..