Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup grief

So this is now official where I'll come with my SU gripes. Danged
cheerleaders here need waking up. I picked up a little book on modeling a
wooden sailboat. But it had little scale drawings you were supposed to
trace, and doesn't have offset tables and line drawings. No problem. I
scanned them and figured I would just trace them in SU, and make clean
prints with fine lines I can cut. Damned if it doesn't meltdown and exit to
the desktop every 3 minutes. I'm giving up. POS. My weekend has not been a
relaxing one so far.

Posted to rec.woodworking

..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
So this is now official where I'll come with my SU gripes. Danged
cheerleaders here need waking up. I picked up a little book on modeling a
wooden sailboat. But it had little scale drawings you were supposed to
trace, and doesn't have offset tables and line drawings. No problem. I
scanned them and figured I would just trace them in SU, and make clean
prints with fine lines I can cut. Damned if it doesn't meltdown and exit
to the desktop every 3 minutes. I'm giving up. POS. My weekend has not
been a relaxing one so far.

For what it is worth I just imported a jpg image of a customers back yard
and I tried using the straight line tool to trace the windows and the
freehand tool to trace the curvy plastic lawn chairs. No problems.

I am going to have to say that this is the first time I have heard of this
problem. I would suggest looking into a forum to see if any one else is
having this problem and specifically what kind of computer they are using.
Or reboot and see if that solves your problem.

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions. Perhaps your computer is not totally suited for
this particular piece of software.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 11:23*am, "Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions. *Perhaps your computer is not totally suited for
this particular piece of software.

If it runs MS Paint, then it should be able to run SU.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup grief ... or computer grief?

"MikeWhy"

So this is now official where I'll come with my SU gripes. Danged
cheerleaders here need waking up. I picked up a little book on modeling a
wooden sailboat. But it had little scale drawings you were supposed to
trace, and doesn't have offset tables and line drawings. No problem. I
scanned them and figured I would just trace them in SU, and make clean
prints with fine lines I can cut. Damned if it doesn't meltdown and exit
to the desktop every 3 minutes. I'm giving up. POS. My weekend has not
been a relaxing one so far.

Look first to your computer .... too many millions using the program with no
similar problem to put the blame elsewhere but locally.

A hardware problem, most likely in your graphics subsystem? Got the latest
drivers for your video card?

That said, as with every version change there are bugs to be squashed. There
has been a recent update, so make sure you have it before proceeding with
other troubleshooting.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote ...
"Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions. Perhaps your computer is not totally suited
for
this particular piece of software.

If it runs MS Paint, then it should be able to run SU.

Good to know ... I'll tell Mom that she's good to go with SU on her Win 3.11
"solitaire playing" box.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 11:23 am, "Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions. Perhaps your computer is not totally suited for
this particular piece of software.

If it runs MS Paint, then it should be able to run SU.

Which begs the question can the OP run MS Paint with out his computer having
the same problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 1:07*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote ...

*"Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions. *Perhaps your computer is not totally suited
for
this particular piece of software.

If it runs MS Paint, then it should be able to run SU.

Good to know ... I'll tell Mom that she's good to go with SU on her Win 3..11
"solitaire playing" box.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

That'd be just about as much fun.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 11:23*am, "Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions.

*
But, but, but I thought we agreed that SU wasn't CAD but more like a
Doodle program?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup grief (last post)

On Mar 22, 2:01*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:23*am, "Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions.

*
But, but, but I thought we agreed that SU wasn't CAD but more like a
Doodle program?

Okay, okay, this is too much fun already. I ain't going to pursue this
low-hanging fruit any longer.

......not this time

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 11:23 am, "Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions.

But, but, but I thought we agreed that SU wasn't CAD but more like a
Doodle program?

Perhaps you have only managed to "doodle' with it but I have learned to get
past that learning disability commonly referred to as denial.

It was simply a suggestion of a direction to look into rather than blame the
least likely variable. CAD programs and even some simple card game
programs recommend minimal requirements for acceptable performance. The
video card for one should be a better than average consideration.

I am starting to see why you may be inteminidated and or not able to get SU
to do what you need it to do. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

.... (last post)

The only two positive words in the English language that make up a negative:

"Yeah, right!"

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 11:23 am, "Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions. Perhaps your computer is not totally suited for
this particular piece of software.

If it runs MS Paint, then it should be able to run SU.

Interesting. My XP *won't* run "Paint". It locks up the machine every
time. Goofy. My PC guy wouldn't believe it until I had the unit to him for
a new HDD and I asked him about. He felt sure that it was the defective HDD
messing with Paint but it's no better with the new drive. He has pronounced
Paint as corrupt and for some bench time he will do a re-install. I'd
spring at the offer if I hadn't been out of work since Dec 08. Bum ticker!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 3:38*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

.... (last post)

The only two positive words in the English language that make up a negative:

"Yeah, right!"

Weak, really really weak.

*haughty sniff*

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 2:29*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Mar 22, 11:23 am, "Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions.

But, but, but I thought we agreed that SU wasn't CAD but more like a
Doodle program?

"doodle'

THIS is a Doodle.
http://retrieverman.files.wordpress....pg?w=356&h=445

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Robatoy" wrote ...
"Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor
brand requirements/suggestions. Perhaps your computer is not
totally suited for
this particular piece of software.

If it runs MS Paint, then it should be able to run SU.

Good to know ... I'll tell Mom that she's good to go with SU on her
Win 3.11 "solitaire playing" box.

Actually... That was Paintbrush in Win 3.1 (and WFW3.11). I don't
remember when they changed the name to just Paint, but it was probably
Windows 95.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote
Actually... That was Paintbrush in Win 3.1 (and WFW3.11). I don't
remember when they changed the name to just Paint, but it was probably
Windows 95.

Actually, it was MS Paint in Win 1.0.

.... and referred to as such thereafter, if not officially named. A rose by
any other name ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 3:38 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

.... (last post)

The only two positive words in the English language that make up a
negative:

"Yeah, right!"

Weak, really really weak.

*haughty sniff*

But is has, once again, proven to be true.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Puckdropper" wrote

Actually... That was Paintbrush in Win 3.1 (and WFW3.11). I don't
remember when they changed the name to just Paint, but it was probably
Windows 95.

Actually, it was MS Paint in Win 1.0.

.... and referred to as such thereafter, if not officially named. A rose by
any other name ...

According to an article on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms_Paint

"The first version of Paint was introduced with the first version of
Windows, Windows 1.0. It was later renamed to Paintbrush in Windows 3.0,
but the name was changed back to Paint in Windows 95 and later."

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
"Puckdropper" wrote

Actually... That was Paintbrush in Win 3.1 (and WFW3.11). I don't
remember when they changed the name to just Paint, but it was probably
Windows 95.

Actually, it was MS Paint in Win 1.0.

.... and referred to as such thereafter, if not officially named. A rose
by any other name ...

According to an article on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms_Paint

"The first version of Paint was introduced with the first version of
Windows, Windows 1.0. It was later renamed to Paintbrush in Windows 3.0,
but the name was changed back to Paint in Windows 95 and later."

Basically what I said ... but Wiki trumps all practical knowledge, eh?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 2:29 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Mar 22, 11:23 am, "Leon" wrote:

I know that some CAD programs like AutoCAD have specific processor brand
requirements/suggestions.

But, but, but I thought we agreed that SU wasn't CAD but more like a
Doodle program?

"doodle'

THIS is a Doodle.
http://retrieverman.files.wordpress....pg?w=356&h=445

Hey that looks like a Dandy Doodle. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 2:29 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Weak, Leon. Weak.

You took this long to come up with that response??? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"MikeWhy"

[...]

It's not a graphics driver issue. Drivers abort with blue screens, not
application aborts. All the same, the graphics drivers were updated
recently, just a few weeks ago, to support additional CUDA and PhysX
features. There are no other issues of any kind with any other application.

The SU website is a little odd. It doesn't list the version number or date
of the latest update. I did check, but didn't find a version number, so I
didn't update. As far as I could tell, it's the same version I already have.

No worries. I got the job done some other way. It was just as well. I wanted
to see if SW can unroll a lofted, developed surface to a flat shape. I'm
building a 14 ft. lap straked sailboat this summer, and wanted to preview
the planking. It works well enough for simple shapes. If you're interested
in such things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message
"MikeWhy"

[...]

It would be interesting to try the same thing on another computer with the
same file.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 7:14*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 3:38 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

.... (last post)

The only two positive words in the English language that make up a
negative:

"Yeah, right!"

Weak, really really weak.

*haughty sniff*

But is has, once again, proven to be true. *

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I am allowed to engage in casual banter without referring to
that..that...that...you know..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 7:41*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Mar 22, 2:29 pm, "Leon" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Weak, Leon. Weak.

You took this long to come up with that response??? * ;~)

I was taking a nap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
It was simply a suggestion of a direction to look into rather than blame
the least likely variable. CAD programs and even some simple card game
programs recommend minimal requirements for acceptable performance. The
video card for one should be a better than average consideration.

Since it matters to the discussion, it's an Nvidia 8800 GTS with up to date
drivers. The box is a quad 2.8 GHz, 2 GB, and 2.4 TB (that's TeraBytes) of
local storage. Very few boxes are bigger or faster. Without getting into
words like "denial", in response to "least likely", I'll just point out that
SU is tiny and trivial compared to other applications that run without
difficulty for as much as 16 hours a day, each day. I know quite a bit about
software and failures. It's an absolute certainty that the fault lies in SU
alone.

Anyway... I really didn't expect discussion. I was just ****ed enough to
share my momentary frustration with you (and a few others here) publicly.

PS: I tried it again just now, and had no problems. The best I can figure is
the crash is related to the Space Navigator puck, whether directly in its
interface modules to SU, or in SU as a result of the more "vigorous"
panning, zooming, and rotation. It didn't crash using only the mouse to
scroll and zoom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 7:41 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Mar 22, 2:29 pm, "Leon" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Weak, Leon. Weak.

You took this long to come up with that response??? ;~)

I was taking a nap.

Had to sleep on it huh? LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message

Since it matters to the discussion, it's an Nvidia 8800 GTS with up to
date drivers. The box is a quad 2.8 GHz, 2 GB, and 2.4 TB (that's
TeraBytes) of local storage. Very few boxes are bigger or faster. Without
getting into words like "denial", in response to "least likely", I'll just
point out that SU is tiny and trivial compared to other applications that
run without difficulty for as much as 16 hours a day, each day. I know
quite a bit about software and failures. It's an absolute certainty that
the fault lies in SU alone.

Ok, I am not trying to put down your machine. although 2.3 TB does not help
one way or another. While 2.8GHz is not slow, my 6 year old Dell runs at
2.6. Yes you have a quad but SU only uses "1" processor so it really does
not perform any better on quad than a duo or single. Your RAM is what SU
actually recomends.

I am only trying to help out.

But any way, ;~) I had no problems using my computer to do what you were
describing so there has to be something unique about your set up that may
be upsetting the apple cart. Big and Bad does not insure that every thing
plays well together with all applications. Yes you have no other problem
with any other applications but now you have an application that is not
working correctly. Applications running long periods with out a problem is
what I expect. Many of my applocations run for days on end and I have a
hard drive that has not been turned off since late September. I'll take
your word that you know quite a bit about software and failures. I
seriousely doubt that the fault lies in SU alone but you may have found the
bug that no one has run across and reported here. I personally am pretty
quick to find bugs in software. I don't know if that is a good thing or not
but I have received quite a few relatively expensive pieces of software for
free with no time limits for pointing out numerous bugs right after they
had been beta tested and released for sale.

Anyway... I really didn't expect discussion. I was just ****ed enough to
share my momentary frustration with you (and a few others here) publicly.

Again I was only trying to help but your opening lines sounded to me like
you were looking for answers.

PS: I tried it again just now, and had no problems. The best I can figure
is the crash is related to the Space Navigator puck, whether directly in
its interface modules to SU, or in SU as a result of the more "vigorous"
panning, zooming, and rotation. It didn't crash using only the mouse to
scroll and zoom.

Cool!
How is that thing working out for you discounting today's adventure. I mave
been considering one per your recomendation however I wonder if I would gain
much versitility from it. I only use thum style track balls and I get
around SU and AutoCAD pretty quickly and effortlessly already. If I were
using a mouse I would probably already own the Space Navigator.

No come to think of it I have had s strange situation pop up now and then
using SU, have you seen this happen? Occasionallay when zooming or panning
part om my drawing will disappear like I cut a section away. Rotating,
panning or zooming will not correct the problem. The permanent correction
is to zoom extents and then go back to where I was when part of the drawing
diasppeared.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
PS: I tried it again just now, and had no problems. The best I can figure
is the crash is related to the Space Navigator puck, whether directly in
its interface modules to SU, or in SU as a result of the more "vigorous"
panning, zooming, and rotation. It didn't crash using only the mouse to
scroll and zoom.

Cool!
How is that thing working out for you discounting today's adventure. I
mave been considering one per your recomendation however I wonder if I
would gain much versitility from it. I only use thum style track balls
and I get around SU and AutoCAD pretty quickly and effortlessly already.
If I were using a mouse I would probably already own the Space Navigator.

Don't let my misadventure put you off it. I was skeptical as well, and
bought the first one for my wife. She stole it back after a few days and I
had to get my own. It's extremely easy to, for example, fly through the
little gaps and check the drawer runner clearance. It's the ideal interface
for Google Earth, and works really well with 3D applications in general. I
don't find it so useful for 2D apps like Acrobat or Photoshop, where you
usually want the zoom level to remain constant. But I do like the fast easy
pan and zoom to view photos and jpgs.

No come to think of it I have had s strange situation pop up now and then
using SU, have you seen this happen? Occasionallay when zooming or
panning part om my drawing will disappear like I cut a section away.
Rotating, panning or zooming will not correct the problem. The permanent
correction is to zoom extents and then go back to where I was when part of
the drawing diasppeared.

No. Never had that happen that I noticed. I sometimes find myself inside the
object, or "zoomed" through to the other side, but haven't had it sectioned.
It might be clipping at the view frustrum if your view angle is set too wide
or the near clipping plane set too far. I would look like it was sectioned,
but without the interior showing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote

PS: I tried it again just now, and had no problems. The best I can figure
is the crash is related to the Space Navigator puck, whether directly in
its interface modules to SU, or in SU as a result of the more "vigorous"
panning, zooming, and rotation. It didn't crash using only the mouse to
scroll and zoom.

Did you try the new driver from 3D connexion? Here is a thread, and blurb
from 3D connexion, that may give you some clues as to a solution.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

watch the wrap

http://www.3dconnexion.com/news/pres...8_sketchup.php

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
using SU, have you seen this happen? Occasionally when zooming or panning
part of my drawing will disappear like I cut a section away. Rotating,
panning or zooming will not correct the problem. The permanent correction
is to zoom extents and then go back to where I was when part of the

drawing
diasppeared.

That sounds like a video card problem or related to the image not being
refreshed properly. It might be a SU problem, but it's more likely video
related.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"MikeWhy" wrote

PS: I tried it again just now, and had no problems. The best I can figure
is the crash is related to the Space Navigator puck, whether directly in
its interface modules to SU, or in SU as a result of the more "vigorous"
panning, zooming, and rotation. It didn't crash using only the mouse to
scroll and zoom.

Did you try the new driver from 3D connexion? Here is a thread, and blurb
from 3D connexion, that may give you some clues as to a solution.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

That's a worthwhile thought. I'll gripe openly from now on since it brings
useful feedback. The forum thread references a problem after updating to SU
7, which isn't relevant here, but I'll check for an update for
spacenavigator when I get a chance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"MikeWhy" wrote in message

Since it matters to the discussion, it's an Nvidia 8800 GTS with up to
date drivers. The box is a quad 2.8 GHz, 2 GB, and 2.4 TB (that's
TeraBytes) of local storage. Very few boxes are bigger or faster. Without
getting into words like "denial", in response to "least likely", I'll
just point out that SU is tiny and trivial compared to other applications
that run without difficulty for as much as 16 hours a day, each day. I
know quite a bit about software and failures. It's an absolute certainty
that the fault lies in SU alone.

Ok, I am not trying to put down your machine. although 2.3 TB does not
help one way or another. While 2.8GHz is not slow, my 6 year old Dell
runs at 2.6. Yes you have a quad but SU only uses "1" processor so it
really does not perform any better on quad than a duo or single. Your
RAM is what SU actually recomends.

I'm hardly defensive about the machine. Happiness is knowing you don't have
to check the minimum requirements.

I see 2 "hot" threads running in SU, but they seem to be tied in lock step,
and never consume more than 25% CPU combined (100% of 1 core). The hot one
is in SU proper. The other is in the Nvidia driver. This makes sense for the
graphics thread.

One socket opened and then closed to iw-in-f147.google.com on port 80. Might
be to check for updates, but it didn't prompt me to do so.

I am only trying to help out.

But any way, ;~) I had no problems using my computer to do what you were
describing so there has to be something unique about your set up that may
be upsetting the apple cart. Big and Bad does not insure that every thing
plays well together with all applications.

Forgetting about SU in particular, imagine you had a product manager who
explains away why his product fails in use that way. At best, it explains
why he has difficulty tracking it down and killing it, but he'd better have
an active plan for doing so. I'm unlikely to do their debugging for them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 11:36*pm, "Leon" wrote:

Cool!
How is that thing working out for you discounting today's adventure. *I mave
been considering one per your recomendation however I wonder if I would gain
much versitility from it. *I only use thum style track balls and I get
around SU and AutoCAD pretty quickly and effortlessly already. *If I were
using a mouse I would probably already own the Space Navigator.

I use a trackball and recently acquired a SpacePilot. I love the
fookin' thing. If you're quick with SU now, you'll be faster with a
Navigator or Pilot. It's more fun, too. Google Earth with it is
much, much better. It almost turns it into a video game. The blue
LED lighting also lets people know you're working on important
stuff!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:36:59 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

No come to think of it I have had s strange situation pop up now and then
using SU, have you seen this happen? Occasionallay when zooming or panning
part om my drawing will disappear like I cut a section away. Rotating,
panning or zooming will not correct the problem. The permanent correction
is to zoom extents and then go back to where I was when part of the drawing
diasppeared.

Sounds like "Z-clipping" to me. Part of the 3-D extents of the model
are "behind" the camera position and cannot be seen from the camera
location. Search the SketchUp help group for "Camera Clipping". There
are a number of suggestions as to the cause and corrections.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

It sounds like Leon doesn't like multi-core hyper threading.
Sigh.

The large fast disk is very important. The larger the better.
You should have a large cache. It should be larger than 3x to
that of the cpu memory. This is for program and data swap out
and swap in.

If your disk is fragmented this is very very slow. It might crash.

And if you use multiple disks for data and cache - it might be nice
to be on different ports, not stealing time from the other disk
for an operation. Dual ports (common on machines) allows writing
and reading at the same time in real time. No time share is needed.

There are a lot of what if. If the software is really functional
for Hyper-Threading - then a 2.8 quad is much faster than a single 2.8.

Martin

Leon wrote:
"MikeWhy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

No come to think of it I have had s strange situation pop up now and then
using SU, have you seen this happen? Occasionallay when zooming or
panning
part om my drawing will disappear like I cut a section away. Rotating,
panning or zooming will not correct the problem. The permanent correction
is to zoom extents and then go back to where I was when part of the
drawing
diasppeared.

Sounds like "Z-clipping" to me. Part of the 3-D extents of the model
are "behind" the camera position and cannot be seen from the camera
location. Search the SketchUp help group for "Camera Clipping". There
are a number of suggestions as to the cause and corrections.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

If it becomes a problem I'll look into it. It really only takes me "1"
extra click to correct the problem. It could happen 10 times a day and
would take longer to look up, or fix than clicking zoom extents. It
normally happens once a week.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
It sounds like Leon doesn't like multi-core hyper threading.
Sigh.

IIRC Sketchup does not support HT or multi core processors. I have nothing
against them at all.

The large fast disk is very important. The larger the better.
You should have a large cache. It should be larger than 3x to
that of the cpu memory. This is for program and data swap out
and swap in.

If your disk is fragmented this is very very slow. It might crash.

And if you use multiple disks for data and cache - it might be nice
to be on different ports, not stealing time from the other disk
for an operation. Dual ports (common on machines) allows writing
and reading at the same time in real time. No time share is needed.

There are a lot of what if. If the software is really functional
for Hyper-Threading - then a 2.8 quad is much faster than a single 2.8.

But as I said, the software does not support HT or multi core processors.

Good Grief Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 4 October 9th 08 09:09 PM
Re-Carpeting Grief DemoDisk Home Repair 2 May 26th 08 05:55 PM
A TIP that may save you a lot of grief charlieb Woodworking 20 June 6th 07 08:19 PM
Air conditioning in April - good grief Simon Gardner UK diy 212 May 2nd 04 02:40 AM
HOA giving grief about fence ted Home Ownership 33 October 24th 03 09:57 PM