Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup grief

It sounds like Leon doesn't like multi-core hyper threading.
Sigh.

The large fast disk is very important. The larger the better.
You should have a large cache. It should be larger than 3x to
that of the cpu memory. This is for program and data swap out
and swap in.

If your disk is fragmented this is very very slow. It might crash.

And if you use multiple disks for data and cache - it might be nice
to be on different ports, not stealing time from the other disk
for an operation. Dual ports (common on machines) allows writing
and reading at the same time in real time. No time share is needed.

There are a lot of what if. If the software is really functional
for Hyper-Threading - then a 2.8 quad is much faster than a single 2.8.

Martin

Leon wrote:
"MikeWhy" wrote in message
Since it matters to the discussion, it's an Nvidia 8800 GTS with up to
date drivers. The box is a quad 2.8 GHz, 2 GB, and 2.4 TB (that's
TeraBytes) of local storage. Very few boxes are bigger or faster. Without
getting into words like "denial", in response to "least likely", I'll just
point out that SU is tiny and trivial compared to other applications that
run without difficulty for as much as 16 hours a day, each day. I know
quite a bit about software and failures. It's an absolute certainty that
the fault lies in SU alone.

Ok, I am not trying to put down your machine. although 2.3 TB does not help
one way or another. While 2.8GHz is not slow, my 6 year old Dell runs at
2.6. Yes you have a quad but SU only uses "1" processor so it really does
not perform any better on quad than a duo or single. Your RAM is what SU
actually recomends.

I am only trying to help out.

But any way, ;~) I had no problems using my computer to do what you were
describing so there has to be something unique about your set up that may
be upsetting the apple cart. Big and Bad does not insure that every thing
plays well together with all applications. Yes you have no other problem
with any other applications but now you have an application that is not
working correctly. Applications running long periods with out a problem is
what I expect. Many of my applocations run for days on end and I have a
hard drive that has not been turned off since late September. I'll take
your word that you know quite a bit about software and failures. I
seriousely doubt that the fault lies in SU alone but you may have found the
bug that no one has run across and reported here. I personally am pretty
quick to find bugs in software. I don't know if that is a good thing or not
but I have received quite a few relatively expensive pieces of software for
free with no time limits for pointing out numerous bugs right after they
had been beta tested and released for sale.

Anyway... I really didn't expect discussion. I was just ****ed enough to
share my momentary frustration with you (and a few others here) publicly.

Again I was only trying to help but your opening lines sounded to me like
you were looking for answers.

PS: I tried it again just now, and had no problems. The best I can figure
is the crash is related to the Space Navigator puck, whether directly in
its interface modules to SU, or in SU as a result of the more "vigorous"
panning, zooming, and rotation. It didn't crash using only the mouse to
scroll and zoom.

Cool!
How is that thing working out for you discounting today's adventure. I mave
been considering one per your recomendation however I wonder if I would gain
much versitility from it. I only use thum style track balls and I get
around SU and AutoCAD pretty quickly and effortlessly already. If I were
using a mouse I would probably already own the Space Navigator.

No come to think of it I have had s strange situation pop up now and then
using SU, have you seen this happen? Occasionallay when zooming or panning
part om my drawing will disappear like I cut a section away. Rotating,
panning or zooming will not correct the problem. The permanent correction
is to zoom extents and then go back to where I was when part of the drawing
diasppeared.