Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup grief

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
using SU, have you seen this happen? Occasionally when zooming or
panning
part of my drawing will disappear like I cut a section away. Rotating,
panning or zooming will not correct the problem. The permanent
correction
is to zoom extents and then go back to where I was when part of the

drawing
diasppeared.

That sounds like a video card problem or related to the image not being
refreshed properly. It might be a SU problem, but it's more likely video
related.

It is really something that I have noticed and it only happens
occasionally. "1" click resolves the problem. I don't think it is a
refresh problem as it happens when panning real time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
It is really something that I have noticed and it only happens
occasionally. "1" click resolves the problem. I don't think it is a
refresh problem as it happens when panning real time.

Panning is still the video card refreshing fast enough that it looks like
smooth motion. You might consider finding out if there's an updated driver
available for your video card. Worst case scenario, if there is an updated
version available and you don't like it for some reason, you can uninstall
it and reinstall the original one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 21, 7:26*pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:
So this is now official where I'll come with my SU gripes. Danged
cheerleaders here need waking up. I picked up a little book on modeling a
wooden sailboat. But it had little scale drawings you were supposed to
trace, and doesn't have offset tables and line drawings. No problem. I
scanned them and figured I would just trace them in SU, and make clean
prints with fine lines I can cut. Damned if it doesn't meltdown and exit to
the desktop every 3 minutes. I'm giving up. POS. My weekend has not been a
relaxing one so far.

Further proof that computers are no damned good!

(Quote an IT management friend of mine)

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
It sounds like Leon doesn't like multi-core hyper threading.
Sigh.

IIRC Sketchup does not support HT or multi core processors. I have nothing
against them at all.

I have been running an AMD dual core-64 bit processor for a number of
years and never had a hardware problem with Sketchup. Never had a
problem with any application that I run. This is the first non-Intel
chip I've owned and was mildly apprehensive, but long since forgot all
about it... 'till you just mentioned it...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

The large fast disk is very important. The larger the better.

You should have a large cache. It should be larger than 3x to
that of the cpu memory. This is for program and data swap out
and swap in.

If your disk is fragmented this is very very slow. It might crash.

And if you use multiple disks for data and cache - it might be nice
to be on different ports, not stealing time from the other disk
for an operation. Dual ports (common on machines) allows writing
and reading at the same time in real time. No time share is needed.

There are a lot of what if. If the software is really functional
for Hyper-Threading - then a 2.8 quad is much faster than a single 2.8.

But as I said, the software does not support HT or multi core processors.

Good Grief Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 4 October 9th 08 09:09 PM
Re-Carpeting Grief DemoDisk Home Repair 2 May 26th 08 05:55 PM
A TIP that may save you a lot of grief charlieb Woodworking 20 June 6th 07 08:19 PM
Air conditioning in April - good grief Simon Gardner UK diy 212 May 2nd 04 02:40 AM
HOA giving grief about fence ted Home Ownership 33 October 24th 03 09:57 PM