Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Sketchup grief

"Leon" wrote in message
PS: I tried it again just now, and had no problems. The best I can figure
is the crash is related to the Space Navigator puck, whether directly in
its interface modules to SU, or in SU as a result of the more "vigorous"
panning, zooming, and rotation. It didn't crash using only the mouse to
scroll and zoom.

Cool!
How is that thing working out for you discounting today's adventure. I
mave been considering one per your recomendation however I wonder if I
would gain much versitility from it. I only use thum style track balls
and I get around SU and AutoCAD pretty quickly and effortlessly already.
If I were using a mouse I would probably already own the Space Navigator.

Don't let my misadventure put you off it. I was skeptical as well, and
bought the first one for my wife. She stole it back after a few days and I
had to get my own. It's extremely easy to, for example, fly through the
little gaps and check the drawer runner clearance. It's the ideal interface
for Google Earth, and works really well with 3D applications in general. I
don't find it so useful for 2D apps like Acrobat or Photoshop, where you
usually want the zoom level to remain constant. But I do like the fast easy
pan and zoom to view photos and jpgs.

No come to think of it I have had s strange situation pop up now and then
using SU, have you seen this happen? Occasionallay when zooming or
panning part om my drawing will disappear like I cut a section away.
Rotating, panning or zooming will not correct the problem. The permanent
correction is to zoom extents and then go back to where I was when part of
the drawing diasppeared.

No. Never had that happen that I noticed. I sometimes find myself inside the
object, or "zoomed" through to the other side, but haven't had it sectioned.
It might be clipping at the view frustrum if your view angle is set too wide
or the near clipping plane set too far. I would look like it was sectioned,
but without the interior showing.