Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Sketchup grief

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
It sounds like Leon doesn't like multi-core hyper threading.
Sigh.

IIRC Sketchup does not support HT or multi core processors. I have nothing
against them at all.

The large fast disk is very important. The larger the better.
You should have a large cache. It should be larger than 3x to
that of the cpu memory. This is for program and data swap out
and swap in.

If your disk is fragmented this is very very slow. It might crash.

And if you use multiple disks for data and cache - it might be nice
to be on different ports, not stealing time from the other disk
for an operation. Dual ports (common on machines) allows writing
and reading at the same time in real time. No time share is needed.

There are a lot of what if. If the software is really functional
for Hyper-Threading - then a 2.8 quad is much faster than a single 2.8.

But as I said, the software does not support HT or multi core processors.