Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Sketchup grief

"Leon" wrote in message

"MikeWhy" wrote in message

Since it matters to the discussion, it's an Nvidia 8800 GTS with up to
date drivers. The box is a quad 2.8 GHz, 2 GB, and 2.4 TB (that's
TeraBytes) of local storage. Very few boxes are bigger or faster. Without
getting into words like "denial", in response to "least likely", I'll
just point out that SU is tiny and trivial compared to other applications
that run without difficulty for as much as 16 hours a day, each day. I
know quite a bit about software and failures. It's an absolute certainty
that the fault lies in SU alone.

Ok, I am not trying to put down your machine. although 2.3 TB does not
help one way or another. While 2.8GHz is not slow, my 6 year old Dell
runs at 2.6. Yes you have a quad but SU only uses "1" processor so it
really does not perform any better on quad than a duo or single. Your
RAM is what SU actually recomends.

I'm hardly defensive about the machine. Happiness is knowing you don't have
to check the minimum requirements.

I see 2 "hot" threads running in SU, but they seem to be tied in lock step,
and never consume more than 25% CPU combined (100% of 1 core). The hot one
is in SU proper. The other is in the Nvidia driver. This makes sense for the
graphics thread.

One socket opened and then closed to iw-in-f147.google.com on port 80. Might
be to check for updates, but it didn't prompt me to do so.

I am only trying to help out.

But any way, ;~) I had no problems using my computer to do what you were
describing so there has to be something unique about your set up that may
be upsetting the apple cart. Big and Bad does not insure that every thing
plays well together with all applications.

Forgetting about SU in particular, imagine you had a product manager who
explains away why his product fails in use that way. At best, it explains
why he has difficulty tracking it down and killing it, but he'd better have
an active plan for doing so. I'm unlikely to do their debugging for them.