Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I
can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

I don't think so, and I would doubt that he would accept it. When I was
younger I used to work at the service counter of a large computer retailer.
Sometimes if people would ask nicely and had a good reason I would try and
move their service ticket up. Often they would try and tip me when they
picked up their PC, if I would have accepted it, and management found out, I
would have been terminated... I know many service companies have similar
policies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I
can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

Not necessary as you have paid for the service. I assure you that when he
delivers to a regular retail store he does not get a tip.
However if you feel grateful enough, by all means tip the guy. I

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James E. Cannon" writes:
When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

I always pick mine up at the depot. Should they tip me?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I
can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

Not necessary as you have paid for the service. I assure you that when he
delivers to a regular retail store he does not get a tip.
However if you feel grateful enough, by all means tip the guy. I

I understand the difference when delivering to a business. I receive
shipments via semi at work all the time (*BIG* computers) and obviously
don't even consider tipping them. It just seems different when it's a home
delivery since I don't have a loading dock or forklift.

It's not that I felt so grateful that I "wanted" to tip (I already paid $125
for shipping), I just don't want to be seen as a cheapskate and maybe pay
for it later with late/damaged shipments if I do business with the same
driver again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message

"James E. Cannon" writes:
When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

I always pick mine up at the depot. Should they tip me?

If you picking the items up at the Depot, NO. They should however give you
better pricing up front if you are paying for delivery to you house pricing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I understand the difference when delivering to a business. I receive
shipments via semi at work all the time (*BIG* computers) and obviously
don't even consider tipping them. It just seems different when it's a
home delivery since I don't have a loading dock or forklift.

Even with out lift gates or fork lifts I too have received stock on a daily
basis at a business. For the most part a loading dock and fork lift at a
delivery location is a luxury mor most delivery drivers.

It's not that I felt so grateful that I "wanted" to tip (I already paid
$125 for shipping), I just don't want to be seen as a cheapskate and maybe
pay for it later with late/damaged shipments if I do business with the
same driver again.

The driver will pay if you will receive a damaged shipment. I would not
worry about it unless he went out of his way to help you out. Otherwise, he
is just doing his job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

James E. Cannon wrote:
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order large
tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I can
even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

My opinion...if he puts something in the garage, probably some sort of
tip would be expected. I guess my rule for big-box deliveries is to
tip for any service beyond what was contracted for.

In other words, if it's a long-distance motor-freight delivery to a
residence, and I haven't paid for a liftgate, and yet the driver shows
up with one anyway, yeah, I'd tip for that. If it's a local
consumer-oriented store using his delivery truck, and he obviously
knows it's to a residence, well I've already paid for that in the
delivery charge, so no. If, however, either driver helps me get the
box where it needs to go, I'd probably tip. Even if he rolls it up the
driveway into the garage, I'd probably give him a very small tip.

Normally the contracts call for "curbside" delivery because their
trucks could crack your driveway and they won't accept the liability.
So if the driver takes it beyond the curbside, yeah, I'd probably give
him something, even if it's just five bucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

No, he expects nothing and is paid a decent wage. I find that most drivers
are very courteous and try to give good service. Their employers expect
them to do this in order to sustain business with good relations. OTOH, if
the driver does something above and beyond, sure a 5 or 10 will be
appreciated. If he sets it in place in your garage, a $5 bill is probably
OK, If he unpacks, sets up the tools, makes test cuts, then go for $10.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

IMHO It's not a requirement to tip anyone in restaurant or other, the tip
is a gratuity to show how much you appreciate what they have done. I have
been on both sides here I used to deliver products to homes and businesses.
I got and I have given tips, I delivered furniture for a few years and it
was really appreciated. For me it depends on the amount of effort or
service that the delivery person or service person puts in. I will never go
back to Outback for example because they told me that I had to pay at least
X amount for a tip. That's crap, if you get good service which we did not
but we were going to tip some anyways then you get a good tip. It's a
gratuity your saying thanks and how much you appreciate it. In effect it's
all up to you. Of coarse this IMHO.

opinions are like A@#wholes everyone has one! Including me :-)

Al

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I
can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

the company I worked for paid us .50¢ above minimum wage that is common down
there were we used to live. but the again lol it's all up to the customer
:-) Yeah my old bosses were cheap! lol

Al

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

No, he expects nothing and is paid a decent wage. I find that most
drivers are very courteous and try to give good service. Their employers
expect them to do this in order to sustain business with good relations.
OTOH, if the driver does something above and beyond, sure a 5 or 10 will
be appreciated. If he sets it in place in your garage, a $5 bill is
probably OK, If he unpacks, sets up the tools, makes test cuts, then go
for $10.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

In other words, if it's a long-distance motor-freight delivery to a
residence, and I haven't paid for a liftgate, and yet the driver shows
up with one anyway, yeah, I'd tip for that.

Wait till you get the bill from the truck line for that liftgate!
Watkins Trucking delivered a crate of MDF cabinet doors I had ordered
from Lakeside Moulding in Mississippi. It was freight "PREPAID." I met
the driver at the rear of the truck in the street in front of my house
and he lowered the crate onto my flatbed dolly using the liftgate. The
bill came the next week. $57+ (fifty-something cents a pound) for the
liftgate! How else would one suppose it the merchandise gets from the
bed of the truck to the ground?
Nest time, assuming there is a next time I just have the driver shove it
out the back, then file a damage claim.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think if he's a CDL truck driver, he's making a decent salary already, so
no tip necessary. Unless, perhaps, you're wealthy. Then a tip may be in
order. At least offer the guy a Coke or a bottle of water, but usually
they turn refreshments down politely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

James E. Cannon wrote:

It's not that I felt so grateful that I "wanted" to tip (I already paid $125
for shipping), I just don't want to be seen as a cheapskate and maybe pay
for it later with late/damaged shipments if I do business with the same
driver again.

Isn't that rather cynical? I mean really--expecting that the SAME
driver is going to damage upcoming shipments to you purposely and
vindictively, because you didn't pay him "protection"?? Good grief,
man, that's not how it works! If you go to a restaurant and order a
couple of $35+ meals for you and the missus and leave a $5 tip, THAT'S
considered being a cheapskate, as anyone paying for that expensive of a
meal can certainly afford a 50% tip.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

meal can certainly afford a 50% tip.

Dave

BIG TYPO!!! make that a 20% tip...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Any freight shipping I have ever priced has several prices. The cheapest is
to a business with a loading dock and a means to unload such as a towmotor.
The most expensive is to a home that requires a liftgate delivery. This is
what most home delivery freight delivery's consist of. You pay a premium
price for this and to me requires no tip. I picked up a floor model drill
press once at the freight terminal and they charged me for the phone call to
come get it and for the part of a day that it sat at their dock. I loaded it
myself into my truck with no help.

"henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I give 20% to wait staff because I know they make a couple of bucks an
hour and depend on it. Not to mention the time setting up or clean up
making no tips. If outback gave me lousy food I might resort to 15%.
but that is wrong because it proably was the kitchen fault and not the
wait staff. The driver on the other hand is making a decent living and
not dependent on tips. The house delivery is charged extra. Even UPS
charges more for home delivery.Of course some one going the extra mile
in service would get a tip. My only confusion is tip at a buffet. I
think 10% because they can cover at least twice as many people.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Aug 2006 14:45:29 -0700, "henry" wrote:

I give 20% to wait staff because I know they make a couple of bucks an
hour and depend on it. Not to mention the time setting up or clean up
making no tips. If outback gave me lousy food I might resort to 15%.
but that is wrong because it proably was the kitchen fault and not the
wait staff. The driver on the other hand is making a decent living and
not dependent on tips. The house delivery is charged extra. Even UPS
charges more for home delivery.Of course some one going the extra mile
in service would get a tip. My only confusion is tip at a buffet. I
think 10% because they can cover at least twice as many people.

I don't tip truck drivers unless they have to sit around and wait for
a while, if they show up at lunchtime, for instance- then the tip is
usually a burger. They make more money than I do anyhow.

Far as the restaurants go, I figure the service has to be really,
really poor to justify not leaving a tip. Most of those folks make
well below the minimum wage because the employers expect them to be
tipped. Don't know if buffets are the same, but I usually give them
20% at the Chinese ones- probably, they're just family employees, but
I figure it's worth leaving the tip just in case they owe money to
snakeheads. I never see any of those folks anywhere but in the
buffet, and it seems a little odd.
Posted to rec.woodworking

James,
Read most of the 'answers' to date . . . boy, are 'we' a cynical bunch !!

The definition of 'tip' - to me at least, in a restaurant environment - has
been 'To Insure Promptness'. I do agree that many people EXPECT a 'tip', and
even almost DEMAND it, though the service given was/is ****-poor.

While I admit to being a 'Certified' cheapskate, if your ENTIRE statement is
true - I would definitely offer some kind of tip.Disregarding the UPS /
FedEx types . . . your 'industrial' trucker is typically a 'drive & dump'
when it comes to residential deliveries. His responsibility ends when the
'liftgate' touches the street. If the person maneuvers the vehicle up to
your 'off-street' garage, or uses his or your equipment to move the item
from the street to your garage, he is going 'above & beyond'.

For a single 'container' that I could lift or move with a handcart {say a
max of about 200 lbs}I start at maybe $5.oo {TOLD you I was Cheap !!} For an
entire PALLET - let your conscience be your guide and offer what YOU think
it's worth. At the very least offer a cold {or hot} drink. It's up to the
delivery person to refuse.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{PS - I worked my way through High School on the back-end of an applience
delivery truck . . . learned how to carry refrigerators, on my back, up
flights of stairs to narrow for the hand-truck . . . 3rd floor & above !!
THEY were usually the MOST tight-fisted and taught me the REAL value of
T.I.P !!}

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order

large
tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I

can
even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I
can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks. \

IMHO, depends. For home delivery, the truck driver is NOT required to do
anything but bring the package to the liftgate. It's your responsibility
from there. That said, in every case when I've had a heavy delivery to my
home, the driver has taken it from the truck and wheeled it up the driveway
into my garage. I usually meet them with a hand truck and am prepared to
schlep it around but never have I had to. In this case, I always give the
driver a tip - usually $10.

Business delivery? No way - that's their job and they get paid well.

Just MHO,

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

As do I but depending on which state you live in they make 8 to 9 bucks and
hour here..
I know in some states they make about 2.30 an hour and agree with you there.

"henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I give 20% to wait staff because I know they make a couple of bucks an
hour and depend on it. Not to mention the time setting up or clean up
making no tips. If outback gave me lousy food I might resort to 15%.
but that is wrong because it proably was the kitchen fault and not the
wait staff.

Atcually it was a terrible job of the server in this case.

The driver on the other hand is making a decent living and
not dependent on tips. The house delivery is charged extra. Even UPS
charges more for home delivery.Of course some one going the extra mile
in service would get a tip. My only confusion is tip at a buffet. I
think 10% because they can cover at least twice as many people.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

Far as the restaurants go, I figure the service has to be really,
really poor to justify not leaving a tip. Most of those folks make
well below the minimum wage because the employers expect them to be
tipped.

True in many states Oregon pays a minimum wage of $7.50 an hour now I
believe unless it went up again. I can only speak for this state and what I
know having recently quit managing a restaurant here to move on be able to
work out side.

Al

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2006-08-08 12:10:52 -0700, "James E. Cannon" said:

I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a
tip? How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before
I can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

I've been thinking about how to respond to this post. I come at this
from a little bit different angle though. I am a driver with ABF
Freight systems. I drive a local route where 60% of my deliveries are
residential. We have a couple of National accounts that ship
woodworking tools. I don't want to bore you with facts but I'll try to
give you a few. Here are the tariffs which we apply to a residential
freight delivery that requires a lift-gate or fork lift.

Item 758 : Lift-gate Service

When ABF is required or requested to employ mechanical loading or
unloading devices to accomplish pickup or delivery of freight, an
additional charge of $2.95 per 100 pounds of actual weight will be
assessed, but not less than $109.90 nor more than $232.35 per shipment
per trailer.
The charges for this service shall be paid by the party for whom the
service is performed. On single line shipments, the charges may be
guaranteed by the shipper.
At locations where ABF does not maintain suitable equipment and elects
to outsource lifting or lowering devices to accomplish pickup or
delivery, additional equipment charges incurred by ABF will be
collected from the party requesting this service.
ABF is not obligated to perform this service where suitable equipment
or operators are unavailable, nor at locations inaccessible to our
vehicles, or where the safety of our vehicles or personnel is
jeopardized.
Item 751 : Pickup or Delivery at Private Residences

Provisions of this item will apply to residential locations, including
the entire premise on which a dwelling is located, including but not
limited to:
Â*Â*Â*Â*· private residencesÂ*€¨Â*Â*Â*Â*· apartments and dormitories€¨Â*Â*Â*Â*·
rectories and parsonages
Shipments picked up at, consigned to or delivered to such locations
will be assessed a charge per service of $5.45 per cwt, but not less
than $68.40, nor more than $213.70 per shipment, in addition to all
other charges applicable to the shipment.Â* If the service is performed
at a location in the zip code range of 70001 through 70499, inclusive,
the above charges will apply subject to a minimum of $116.25.
Item 566 : Handling Freight at Positions Not Immediately Adjacent to Vehicle

When requested by the Customer, and ABF's operating conditions permit,
ABF may move shipments from or to positions beyond the immediately
adjacent loading or unloading positions available to carrier's vehicle.
The provisions of this item include service at Shopping Malls when the
actual pickup or delivery site within the mall complex is not
immediately adjacent to the loading or unloading positions available to
carrier's vehicle.
Service under this item will be provided to floors above or below the
level accessible to ABF's vehicle only when elevator or escalator
service is available and labor, when necessary to operate same, is
provided without cost to ABF.
Charges for points other than the Borough of Manhattan, NY:
Service provided under this item will be assessed a charge of $5.90 per
100 pounds, but not less than $57.70 per shipment per trailer, nor more
than $695.70 per shipment per trailer. When shipments are accorded
split pickup, split delivery or stopped in transit for partial loading
or unloading, the minimum and maximum charges will apply to each stop
separately wherever the service is performed.

When I deliver to a residence, the freight bill will specify whether
residence, inside, ground delivery
have been paid for. My responsibility for the delivery of the freight
is to the back of the trailer, if ground or inside is not specified. I
have a lift-gate trailer. Not all routes do. My personal policy is that
if I can back to the garage, I will get the freight of with the
lift-gate and put it in their garage even if its not stated. 90% of the
time this can be accomplished. Believe me, its a lot less of a hassle
than arguing or calling in to have charges authorized by the shipper.
you can see that at a minimum, the charges to get a large (crate, box
pallet, lathe, table saw, planer,etc) would be about $236.00. Some or
all might be paid for by the shipper.
Now all that said.........

If you have paid for any or all of these charges, or not.. You are
under now obligation what so ever to tip the driver, and for most of
the drivers I work with, none is expected.

By the way if you think living in Northern California on $20.86 an hour
is being paid well, then think again
Posted to rec.woodworking

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I
can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

I dont know if you're supposed to, but when the guy delivered my Unisaw, he
did a good job and I gave him $20. I dont think he was expecting it. I
personally tip the guys when they make a large delivery. It's pretty hot
here in Houston and they usually work hard. It feels good to bless some
one. And everyone likes to be appreciated. You never know what they may do
for the next person that day.

Darrell

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

New Wave Dave wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the guffaw!

I know what you mean...I had to pay the company that delivered my saw
another $70 for the liftgate, although there was no additional
poundage fee.

The charge was $57 and something computed at fifty-something cents
per pound.
Is it a Teamster thing?
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message
m...

[...]

And that can happen. I had some Kraftmaid cabinet delivered once. They did
a good job and I tipped the guys nicely. The cabinet were damaged and they
had to make a return trip. There were very nice and helpful the second
trip.

Darrell

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I
can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

It depends.

I just retired as a Teamster with 37 years in my local union.

Freight rates are high. One pays dearly to have things transported from
point A to point B.

For that charge, some things are provided and expected.

BUT ................

certain things are not.

If a driver gets to a destination, and there is a load of sacks of flour, he
is not expected to unload it. If there is a long waiting time, he is not
expected to wait. He has a schedule to maintain, and he has to stick to it.
End users are expected to provide the means or labor to unload freight.

So, the short answer is .............. it depends.

If all there is to delivery is to simply drop the box in your driveway
(well, use the tail lift), no tip. If you want the box placed somewhere
special and you want to save yourself a couple of hours, sore muscles and
possible hernia, a tip is worth it. Usually any service out of the
ordinary, or a really good job gets a tip. That tip mostly depends on
attitude. If it is at a dock where all they do is drive up, and someone
pallet jacks it off, no tip.

Most drivers disdain household deliveries as they usually involve doing more
than is actually required of them in the scope of their employment.

In those cases, a little grease works wonders.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tex" wrote

IMHO, it's your choice and consider tips as nothing more than wages a
customer pays other peoples' help. It's your money; do as you wish. As
for me, I figure they're already getting paid by somebody else to do a
job. If they don't like their salary, they can bargain for a larger one
or change jobs. Hard nosed? Perhaps? So be it!

I can tell you never ran into a real freight man. They have the power to
send your stuff to Cleveland if they want to. And do all sorts of things to
hold up your business, freight, and heartbeat.

I used to love running into your types. I was a Teamster, and knew 98 ways
to make your **** disappear for long periods of time.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David" wrote in message
. ..
James E. Cannon wrote:

It's not that I felt so grateful that I "wanted" to tip (I already paid
$125 for shipping), I just don't want to be seen as a cheapskate and
maybe pay for it later with late/damaged shipments if I do business with
the same driver again.

Isn't that rather cynical? I mean really--expecting that the SAME driver
is going to damage upcoming shipments to you purposely and vindictively,
because you didn't pay him "protection"?? Good grief, man, that's not how
it works! If you go to a restaurant and order a couple of $35+ meals for
you and the missus and leave a $5 tip, THAT'S considered being a
cheapskate, as anyone paying for that expensive of a meal can certainly
afford a 50% tip.

Dave

Sorry, Dave. That's not how it works. I worked conventions in Las Vegas
for a lot of years. Repeat customers.

You had one yokel this year that stiffed you after going all out for them,
and next year, attitude was different. The companies are limited to a $50
limit on lost/damaged freight. You could run your tines through a box when
no one was looking, the exhibitor could lose many thousands of dollars in
exhibits, and the culprit was never found. Or, you put an "empty" sticker
on a full box, and it goes to the boneyard. Cost of retrieval, about two
grand.

We gave good service. We were paid well. But a stiff is a stiff when
someone gets more than they pay for. Or intentionally screws you.

Paybacks are a bitch.

And they're so easy.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"New Wave Dave" wrote

Is it a Teamster thing?
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

You got a problem with Teamsters?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"New Wave Dave" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
oups.com...

New Wave Dave wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the guffaw!

I know what you mean...I had to pay the company that delivered my saw
another $70 for the liftgate, although there was no additional poundage
fee.

The charge was $57 and something computed at fifty-something cents per
pound.
Is it a Teamster thing?
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

And so, what if it is??? Teamsters bring you more than your saw you know.
Get a grip!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"grappletech" wrote in message
I think if he's a CDL truck driver, he's making a decent salary already, so
no tip necessary. Unless, perhaps, you're wealthy. Then a tip may be in
order. At least offer the guy a Coke or a bottle of water, but usually
they turn refreshments down politely.

A CDL truck driver???? Just what the hell does that mean? A person that
drives a school bus, limo, taxi all have to have a CDL license. Having a CDL
license and driving a truck don't mean you automatically make "a decent
salary".

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Tex" wrote

IMHO, it's your choice and consider tips as nothing more than wages a
customer pays other peoples' help. It's your money; do as you wish. As
for me, I figure they're already getting paid by somebody else to do a
job. If they don't like their salary, they can bargain for a larger one
or change jobs. Hard nosed? Perhaps? So be it!

I can tell you never ran into a real freight man. They have the power to
send your stuff to Cleveland if they want to. And do all sorts of things
to hold up your business, freight, and heartbeat.

I used to love running into your types. I was a Teamster, and knew 98
ways to make your **** disappear for long periods of time.

Steve

AMEN and well said! Right along with your other post! Been there, done that,
got the tee shirts, and an award!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
m...

And so, what if it is??? Teamsters bring you more than your saw you know.
Get a grip!

Yeah, they bring you a Damaged saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

Most drivers disdain household deliveries as they usually involve doing
more than is actually required of them in the scope of their employment.

These type workers are in every work place. Some are protected by the union
and do just what is required. Some see that the home owner is going to work
his butt off and may choose to lend assistance with a pallet jack and 3 to
5 minutes more of his time and promote good will towards his company. The
driver, like it or not, union or not, is the person that is going to leave
the biggest impression with the most important person, the customer.
Keeping in mind that the customer has paid a premium to have the goods set
on the ground a little extra effort by the driver promotes customer loyalty.
Should the customer offer a tip? Yes if the driver puts out more effort
than a minimal good will coutrisy jesture. Rolling the goods 20' up a drive
way on a pallet jack, NO. The tip should be offered if the driver put forth
a more serious effort on his part rather than if he saved the customer a lot
of work. I like to call that a courtesy towards the person that helps put
money in your pocket.

I had a BS delivered on a lift gate truck and I paid a premium for this
service. The driver sat in front of my house 10 minutes before getting out
of the truck. I asked if he would be kind oenough to put the pallet in my
garage 20' away. The graciousely said yes followed with the comment that it
was the least he could do. I offerd a tip and he declined with hte comment
that I had probably paid enough already. He got back in the truck and sat
for 10 minutes more and then left.

This truck driver BTY was a Katrina displaced resident of Lousiana and told
me that he was very fortunate to have a job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I give 20% to wait staff because I know they make a couple of bucks an
hour and depend on it. Not to mention the time setting up or clean up
making no tips.

Very generous you are. I however feel that if you get bad service or bad
food the problem should be corrected before even thinking of presenting a
reward to the waiter. Cleaning up is part of the job, no one would go to a
restaraunt with messy tables. There are crappy jobs in every industry.
Waiters have the benefit of a reward if he does his job correctly. His job
does include making sure that you are happy with what you ordered.

If outback gave me lousy food I might resort to 15%.
but that is wrong because it proably was the kitchen fault and not the
wait staff.

Sounds like you are simply rewarding Outback for bad service. Consider
also, what tip does the cook get out of the meal that he has cooked for you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

I can tell you never ran into a real freight man. They have the power to
send your stuff to Cleveland if they want to. And do all sorts of things
to hold up your business, freight, and heartbeat.

I used to love running into your types. I was a Teamster, and knew 98
ways to make your **** disappear for long periods of time.

And some people wonder why the union has such a bad reputation. Teamsters
DO NOT have a monopoly on having the ability to screw a customer. Most
every one and every business knows how to screw his customer, however the
ones with any sense at all realize that the customer is the one that you
actually want to please.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:10:52 -0500, "James E. Cannon"
wrote:

I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order large
tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I can
even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

It depends on the driver for me.

Many suppliers (i.e. Grizzly, etc) state on the website that the
freight service is roadside drop.
So when the driver helps me get the stuff to my shop I tip him. If he
is a cranky old Basxxxx who just drops it at the roadside then I
don't.
And, of course, I always ask- *Do you post or D/L copyrighted
material*

If he says *What?*....or *No*......I tip.
Posted to rec.woodworking

henry wrote:

I give 20% to wait staff because I know they make a couple of bucks an
hour and depend on it. Not to mention the time setting up or clean up
making no tips. If outback gave me lousy food I might resort to 15%.
but that is wrong because it proably was the kitchen fault and not the
wait staff.

If the food is lousy it's not the waiter's fault, but part of the tip
usually goes to the cook (you think the waiter gets to keep it all?).

I don't have a problem with leaving a tip. I _do_ have a problem with being
told that I _must_ leave a tip of a certain amount, especially when the
service sucks (which it usually does in places where they attempt to force
you to tip). If the management wants the staff to have a 15% raise they
should raise their prices 15% and then pay them.

The driver on the other hand is making a decent living and
not dependent on tips. The house delivery is charged extra. Even UPS
charges more for home delivery.Of course some one going the extra mile
in service would get a tip. My only confusion is tip at a buffet. I
think 10% because they can cover at least twice as many people.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:

"Tex" wrote

IMHO, it's your choice and consider tips as nothing more than wages a
customer pays other peoples' help. It's your money; do as you wish. As
for me, I figure they're already getting paid by somebody else to do a
job. If they don't like their salary, they can bargain for a larger one
or change jobs. Hard nosed? Perhaps? So be it!

I can tell you never ran into a real freight man. They have the power to
send your stuff to Cleveland if they want to. And do all sorts of things
to hold up your business, freight, and heartbeat.

I used to love running into your types. I was a Teamster, and knew 98
ways to make your **** disappear for long periods of time.

OK, tell us _one_ way for a truck driver to "make your **** disappear for
long periods of time" without having anybody ask how it got off the truck
between loading and delivery.

Steve