Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

James,
Read most of the 'answers' to date . . . boy, are 'we' a cynical bunch !!

The definition of 'tip' - to me at least, in a restaurant environment - has
been 'To Insure Promptness'. I do agree that many people EXPECT a 'tip', and
even almost DEMAND it, though the service given was/is ****-poor.

While I admit to being a 'Certified' cheapskate, if your ENTIRE statement is
true - I would definitely offer some kind of tip.Disregarding the UPS /
FedEx types . . . your 'industrial' trucker is typically a 'drive & dump'
when it comes to residential deliveries. His responsibility ends when the
'liftgate' touches the street. If the person maneuvers the vehicle up to
your 'off-street' garage, or uses his or your equipment to move the item
from the street to your garage, he is going 'above & beyond'.

For a single 'container' that I could lift or move with a handcart {say a
max of about 200 lbs}I start at maybe $5.oo {TOLD you I was Cheap !!} For an
entire PALLET - let your conscience be your guide and offer what YOU think
it's worth. At the very least offer a cold {or hot} drink. It's up to the
delivery person to refuse.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{PS - I worked my way through High School on the back-end of an applience
delivery truck . . . learned how to carry refrigerators, on my back, up
flights of stairs to narrow for the hand-truck . . . 3rd floor & above !!
THEY were usually the MOST tight-fisted and taught me the REAL value of
T.I.P !!}

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order

large
tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I

can
even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.