Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I
can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

It depends.

I just retired as a Teamster with 37 years in my local union.

Freight rates are high. One pays dearly to have things transported from
point A to point B.

For that charge, some things are provided and expected.

BUT ................

certain things are not.

If a driver gets to a destination, and there is a load of sacks of flour, he
is not expected to unload it. If there is a long waiting time, he is not
expected to wait. He has a schedule to maintain, and he has to stick to it.
End users are expected to provide the means or labor to unload freight.

So, the short answer is .............. it depends.

If all there is to delivery is to simply drop the box in your driveway
(well, use the tail lift), no tip. If you want the box placed somewhere
special and you want to save yourself a couple of hours, sore muscles and
possible hernia, a tip is worth it. Usually any service out of the
ordinary, or a really good job gets a tip. That tip mostly depends on
attitude. If it is at a dock where all they do is drive up, and someone
pallet jacks it off, no tip.

Most drivers disdain household deliveries as they usually involve doing more
than is actually required of them in the scope of their employment.

In those cases, a little grease works wonders.

Steve