Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

"Steve B" wrote in message

Most drivers disdain household deliveries as they usually involve doing
more than is actually required of them in the scope of their employment.

These type workers are in every work place. Some are protected by the union
and do just what is required. Some see that the home owner is going to work
his butt off and may choose to lend assistance with a pallet jack and 3 to
5 minutes more of his time and promote good will towards his company. The
driver, like it or not, union or not, is the person that is going to leave
the biggest impression with the most important person, the customer.
Keeping in mind that the customer has paid a premium to have the goods set
on the ground a little extra effort by the driver promotes customer loyalty.
Should the customer offer a tip? Yes if the driver puts out more effort
than a minimal good will coutrisy jesture. Rolling the goods 20' up a drive
way on a pallet jack, NO. The tip should be offered if the driver put forth
a more serious effort on his part rather than if he saved the customer a lot
of work. I like to call that a courtesy towards the person that helps put
money in your pocket.

I had a BS delivered on a lift gate truck and I paid a premium for this
service. The driver sat in front of my house 10 minutes before getting out
of the truck. I asked if he would be kind oenough to put the pallet in my
garage 20' away. The graciousely said yes followed with the comment that it
was the least he could do. I offerd a tip and he declined with hte comment
that I had probably paid enough already. He got back in the truck and sat
for 10 minutes more and then left.

This truck driver BTY was a Katrina displaced resident of Lousiana and told
me that he was very fortunate to have a job.